Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
riskall wrote:
packet82 wrote:
Neither of the two is a current student. They're both starting this fall.

Posted from my mobile device

This is interesting then. Two students who were informed a full week in advance. They must be outstanding.

Do we know for sure they were informed last week? Or, as someone else commented, they probably just decided to join FB group last week!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
riskall wrote:
packet82 wrote:

This is interesting then. Two students who were informed a full week in advance. They must be outstanding.

Or simply a case of early decision seekers because Anderson results came out 15 days in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
riskall wrote:
packet82 wrote:

Or simply a case of early decision seekers because Anderson results came out 15 days in advance.

Is there anyone here who heard positively from Anderson and tried contacting Haas?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
kris610 wrote:
riskall wrote:
packet82 wrote:

Do we know for sure they were informed last week? Or, as someone else commented, they probably just decided to join FB group last week!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the later...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
But in anycase, there is nothing to worry about. They haven't handed out a majority of the admits yet.
Hopefully we all get the call from 510 on Wednesday!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
calculas wrote:
Hi speedingdeamon - I did apply to Haas's FT last year but they probably didnt even touch my application (thanks to my awesome GMAT score) :) - so I technically do not qualify as re-applicant since I applied to PT this year and it was a royal pain in the butt to make case for the switch in my strategy from FT to PT within a year!

Well, if they made you to explain the switch from FT to PT, it means that they technically considered you as a re-applicant.
I do understand that since you did not apply for PT last year, you did not have to write the essay for the re-applicant.
But this goes back to one of the opinion that packet and I share... On how people can apply to FT and have EWMBA as a backup option. Seems like the school also agrees with us...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
I noticed R3 applications were due (March 18, 2013). That means the adcom could have done a cursory overview of all RD3 candidates and have handpicked the stars before they let RD1 waitlist and Rd2 folks know their results... another piece of evidence that we, as waitlisters, are effectively being compared to the entire applicant pool.

No wonder the adcom stresses that every round has an equal chance of admittance, there is effectively only one round.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
riskall wrote:
packet82 wrote:

If these two were in fact early decisions, I would guess that they are super star candidates in RD2 or RD3 (haas does reserve the right to accept without interview). Why do it early? I'm thinking it becomes more of a selling the school strategy. If there are really outstanding candidates, you have to do whatever it takes to make them feel unique and close the deal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
If these two were in fact early decisions, I would guess that they are super star candidates in RD2 or RD3 (haas does reserve the right to accept without interview). Why do it early? I'm thinking it becomes more of a selling the school strategy. If there are really outstanding candidates, you have to do whatever it takes to make them feel unique and close the deal.

On the other hand, if the school shows its desperation to the "super star candidates", could it not backfire? Those students might just think that they deserve to be in H/B/S and not join EWMBA?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:

On the other hand, if the school shows its desperation to the "super star candidates", could it not backfire? Those students might just think that they deserve to be in H/B/S and not join EWMBA?

I think those students may have put H/S/W in their applications as the other schools they are applying to!

Haas may see those folks as potential or even strong admits to those programs and there's little doubt they'd want them in the program. To me, there's probably a whole other side to the applications process that we, as gmatclubbers, are not privy to. And that is the process for the most elite caliber students, who will probably not be on a forum anyway. I'm sure the adcom will personally make the effort to contact/attract this talent, offering scholarships and other concessions.

again, all my own speculation :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
well, i think you might be right here... but u just said that everyone on this forum is not a star applicant.. :)
we do have packet82 who has been more than a star for all of us since our R1 WL... and he got into EWMBA before these 2 star candidates... ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
well, i think you might be right here... but u just said that everyone on this forum is not a star applicant.. :)
we do have packet82 who has been more than a star for all of us since our R1 WL... and he got into EWMBA before these 2 star candidates... ;)

I think the stars I'm talking about are maybe the extremely select few that exist every application year. Maybe they are founders of huge non-profits, have had startups that were acquired, top bankers at Goldman Sachs, etc.

Not to say anyone here isn't one, I'm just guessing that those folks are not usually lurking on the forums.

And to be fair, yes, I know a bit of packet's story and he knows very well that I'm in awe of his accomplishments =).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Adcoms have stressed again and again that they don't admit without an interview.

Haas also gives out early decisions if you make a case for it. So I think these two could be either early decision seekers or star candidates from R2.

I doubt they are from R3, as the application deadline was juts last Monday and I don't think adcoms would have perused all the R3 applicants to admit these 2 by Thursday.

Anyways, we R2 folks can expect a call as early as tomorrow. Like earlier years, the calls might start coming 2 days prior to the decision date.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
:)
fingers crossed!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
I think those students may have put H/S/W in their applications as the other schools they are applying to!

I doubt Haas pays much attention to this. If they did, that would work against them rather than for them anyways. Haas has a fairly low acceptance rate of ~60% already, why give preference to someone that's applying to schools that only have full time programs? Haas is clearly their backup in that case.

pinchharmonic wrote:
Haas may see those folks as potential or even strong admits to those programs and there's little doubt they'd want them in the program. To me, there's probably a whole other side to the applications process that we, as gmatclubbers, are not privy to. And that is the process for the most elite caliber students, who will probably not be on a forum anyway. I'm sure the adcom will personally make the effort to contact/attract this talent, offering scholarships and other concessions.

again, all my own speculation :P

The best and the brightest are going to be on the forums. Take a look at the other threads for the top schools. If you're really committed to getting a top MBA, you're going to do everything you can to get in.

As for the two recent facebook page additions, I have a feeling they're R1 people that sent in their $1500 at the 3/1 deadline. The facebook link is a bit hidden and you have to go to the new admits website to find it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
So if that is the case, R2 admits are not yet out...
Which leaves calculas to be among the lucky few who have been reached out by Haas prior to R2 deadline.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
Well, if they made you to explain the switch from FT to PT, it means that they technically considered you as a re-applicant.
I do understand that since you did not apply for PT last year, you did not have to write the essay for the re-applicant.
But this goes back to one of the opinion that packet and I share... On how people can apply to FT and have EWMBA as a backup option. Seems like the school also agrees with us...

Well, it certainly happens. Look at riskall's profile. He's applying to Stanford and Haas. I'd guess Haas is his backup.

pinchharmonic wrote:
I think the stars I'm talking about are maybe the extremely select few that exist every application year. Maybe they are founders of huge non-profits, have had startups that were acquired, top bankers at Goldman Sachs, etc.

Not to say anyone here isn't one, I'm just guessing that those folks are not usually lurking on the forums.

And to be fair, yes, I know a bit of packet's story and he knows very well that I'm in awe of his accomplishments =).

Thank you for the compliments.

If you look at the HBS thread here, ~7% of the applicant pool is represented, not counting what I am sure are numerous lurkers. The average GMAT of the gmatclub applicant pool is 732, above HBS' avg of 724. I'd say it's pretty well represented.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is it's a pretty decent sample. So, don't fret about some unknown stealing your spot.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts