Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: From 680 to 680 : disappointed and need advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Remember, your benchmark is your population demographic. Given you're an indian in IT, a 680 will only work if you can make your self stand out in a big way.

That being said, your quant score doesn't need any improvement for a 700+ score. Your verbal is where you need the work (as you mentioned).

Two main things to keep in mind:
The GMAC concedes you can take the exam in the exact same conditions and score +/- 30 points. It's something the CAT faces and the org would like to reduce it, but it's the reality it has. You could take the test tomorrow and score a 740.

Also, verbal is the section where your problems are usually glaring you in the face. Do you know what subsection in verbal gave you the most trouble? Start there with a recap and re-review and move forward.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
I would like to say 680 is not end of the world...the score to which you say "holds any meaning or not" is a dream score fr some.....Moreover..i think u r nt foccussing on ur weaknesses......
Can you provide the break up of the score on the second attempt.
Quant is already maximized....I think if u put quality effort u can score further to 38 or so on verbal. Verbal after 34, is really hard to move ahead....So catch hold of right ppl and right material...try veritas prep or MGMAT....

But before trying anyhting zero down on what are ur drawbacks...u still have a lot of time.....

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!!!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mohater wrote:
Remember, your benchmark is your population demographic. Given you're an indian in IT, a 680 will only work if you can make your self stand out in a big way.

That being said, your quant score doesn't need any improvement for a 700+ score. Your verbal is where you need the work (as you mentioned).

Two main things to keep in mind:
The GMAC concedes you can take the exam in the exact same conditions and score +/- 30 points. It's something the CAT faces and the org would like to reduce it, but it's the reality it has. You could take the test tomorrow and score a 740.

Also, verbal is the section where your problems are usually glaring you in the face. Do you know what subsection in verbal gave you the most trouble? Start there with a recap and re-review and move forward.

Thanks for the help. :-D

When I gave gmatprep without knowing a word, I scored 33 in verbal, the same score I got in the real exam. As I worked on verbal, I was able to score near 37 (+/- 1) in MGMAT CATs and the rest of gmatpreps I gave.

While trying the gmatprep questions' PDFs, I was getting approximately 80% right in SC, RC and CR. However, while doing these questions I gave myself 2minutes on an average for each question (and a bit more for RC).
I didn't have any specific strategy for RC and CR. CR came naturally to me and I relied on my memory for RC.

Now, given that I have plenty of time, what will you suggest to get the things right, I mean, the books or other sources. :?:

I guess, I will take a 2-3 months break from GMAT right now. (My end sem exams are in May and I ll be joining the job in June)
But I want to get the goals and strategy straight right now, as I don't want this preparation till now to go in vain.

Also, throw some light on kind of profile that is desired for these schools. (community service, sports, etc etc..things apart from work that can help)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
I would like to say 680 is not end of the world...the score to which you say "holds any meaning or not" is a dream score fr some.....Moreover..i think u r nt foccussing on ur weaknesses......
Can you provide the break up of the score on the second attempt.
Quant is already maximized....I think if u put quality effort u can score further to 38 or so on verbal. Verbal after 34, is really hard to move ahead....So catch hold of right ppl and right material...try veritas prep or MGMAT....

But before trying anyhting zero down on what are ur drawbacks...u still have a lot of time.....

Consider kudos If my post helps!!!!!!!

Archit

This was my first attempt..the first time I scored 680 was my score at gmatprep, which I gave with absolutely zero preparation.
My current break-up is q 49, v 33.. For MCATs I used to score around 36-38 in verbal and almost same in other gmat preps.
Since, I have plenty of time, I think, I will prefer self-study.
Can you suggest me some long term preparation strategy to improve verbal?
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
self study may or may not work fr u...i say this because ur scores have plateaued....and its been months u r nt able to move up further...that means there are some concepts thats unclear to you.......you need some one to point out ur mistakes...and i m sure after that u ll be able to up ur scores on verbal by 5 points atleast......But if RC is the major cause of the blockage than its very unlikely that u ll gain frm pvt tutorn......
In that u only can help urself by improving ur readn strategy....

veritas-prep-live-online-my-take-143773.html
Go thru the link...U ll find at one point of time Souviks's Score plateaued on 680 level...and what he did to up his score....

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
articulation wrote:
I guess, I will take a 2-3 months break from GMAT right now. (My end sem exams are in May and I ll be joining the job in June)
But I want to get the goals and strategy straight right now, as I don't want this preparation till now to go in vain.

Also, throw some light on kind of profile that is desired for these schools. (community service, sports, etc etc..things apart from work that can help)

Hello!

First off, don't despair. Lot of people score 680 or lower on their first attempt, only to rebound and do better the second time. As you can see from my profile, I replaced a 690 with a 740, so I'm living proof that you can aspire for more. But I don't want to talk about that part of it right now, because I'm more preoccupied with your b-school profile question. Here is what little input I have to give (I am by no means a world renowned authority, so you can take it or leave it):

1. The Extracurriculars:
Extracurricular activities are immensely important. I mean - they're on par with your GMAT score and your work experience in terms of their weight and relevance to your application. Schools want to see that you are self-motivated and have the internal drive to strive to change the world for the better. There is no prescription as to how to go about doing this; whether you volunteer at a local school, or at a homeless shelter, or in a hospital, or in a courthouse, or wherever it may be, the ultimate aim is to illustrate your desire to be a valuable asset to your community. A key b-school app question is: "What value can you add to our campus?" (or something to that effect). Replying that you are a smart dude, with a good GPA and stellar GMAT, as well as a hard worker who is quickly ascending the professional ladder is no longer enough. Sure - you may get lucky, and a school may admit you in the absence of any significant extracurricular contributions, but this demographic is dwindling fast and will disappear altogether within a few years.
NOW - this doesn't mean that you have to change the world, or spend a year abroad doing Red Cross work. All you need to do is find the act of volunteerism that speaks to you and defines you. If you start after you earn your degree, and remain involved for 2-3 years, you'll be golden.

2. The Sports:
Look - I'm a fan of sports. Really. I think that sports are great for building character and teamwork and relieving stress. Sadly, unless you play at a professional level, or a varsity college team (Division I type stuff in the US) then sports are not going to do a great deal for you. Now - if you were to organize a park league for your local community, or maybe coach a youth team in a sport that you love, then that might be of some value. However, simply being talented on the playing field will never convince the adcom that you deserve a place at their institution.

3. The Things Apart From Work:
You're clearly a motivated guy. You got a job at Amazon, you finished an engineering degree and you're thinking about an MBA. So continue being motivated! All b-schools want to see is that you're not the type to just go home and sit on your buns after work and on the weekends. They want a person that is versatile enough to have interests outside of the academic and professional spheres. So go out there and try to make a difference. Mentor kids/teenagers. Put on a play at your local theater. Do things that appeal to your inner leader.

In conclusion - the most successful MBA applicants are the ones whose stories are memorable. Studying and working has endowed you with a great deal of potential, but you need to add some color to your character. Go out and make the world better for having you in it! If you do that, even by a little bit, b-schools will take notice and act accordingly.

Best of luck to you on your GMAT re-take and in your future endeavors!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
daedalus1989 wrote:
articulation wrote:

Hello!

First off, don't despair. Lot of people score 680 or lower on their first attempt, only to rebound and do better the second time. As you can see from my profile, I replaced a 690 with a 740, so I'm living proof that you can aspire for more. But I don't want to talk about that part of it right now, because I'm more preoccupied with your b-school profile question. Here is what little input I have to give (I am by no means a world renowned authority, so you can take it or leave it):

1. The Extracurriculars:
Extracurricular activities are immensely important. I mean - they're on par with your GMAT score and your work experience in terms of their weight and relevance to your application. Schools want to see that you are self-motivated and have the internal drive to strive to change the world for the better. There is no prescription as to how to go about doing this; whether you volunteer at a local school, or at a homeless shelter, or in a hospital, or in a courthouse, or wherever it may be, the ultimate aim is to illustrate your desire to be a valuable asset to your community. A key b-school app question is: "What value can you add to our campus?" (or something to that effect). Replying that you are a smart dude, with a good GPA and stellar GMAT, as well as a hard worker who is quickly ascending the professional ladder is no longer enough. Sure - you may get lucky, and a school may admit you in the absence of any significant extracurricular contributions, but this demographic is dwindling fast and will disappear altogether within a few years.
NOW - this doesn't mean that you have to change the world, or spend a year abroad doing Red Cross work. All you need to do is find the act of volunteerism that speaks to you and defines you. If you start after you earn your degree, and remain involved for 2-3 years, you'll be golden.

2. The Sports:
Look - I'm a fan of sports. Really. I think that sports are great for building character and teamwork and relieving stress. Sadly, unless you play at a professional level, or a varsity college team (Division I type stuff in the US) then sports are not going to do a great deal for you. Now - if you were to organize a park league for your local community, or maybe coach a youth team in a sport that you love, then that might be of some value. However, simply being talented on the playing field will never convince the adcom that you deserve a place at their institution.

3. The Things Apart From Work:
You're clearly a motivated guy. You got a job at Amazon, you finished an engineering degree and you're thinking about an MBA. So continue being motivated! All b-schools want to see is that you're not the type to just go home and sit on your buns after work and on the weekends. They want a person that is versatile enough to have interests outside of the academic and professional spheres. So go out there and try to make a difference. Mentor kids/teenagers. Put on a play at your local theater. Do things that appeal to your inner leader.

In conclusion - the most successful MBA applicants are the ones whose stories are memorable. Studying and working has endowed you with a great deal of potential, but you need to add some color to your character. Go out and make the world better for having you in it! If you do that, even by a little bit, b-schools will take notice and act accordingly.

Best of luck to you on your GMAT re-take and in your future endeavors!

Thanks a lot. :)
This post has streamlined the way ahead.

Thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts