Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [243]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [113]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, what is the area of triangular region PRT? [#permalink]
@ bunuel - pls help. Is it always that area of any quadrilateral will be its bxh?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, what is the area of triangular region PRT? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
meenakshi1 wrote:
@ bunuel - pls help. Is it always that area of any quadrilateral will be its bxh?

No, that's not true. Please check here: math-polygons-87336.html

Hope it helps.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3093 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
yuvrajsub wrote:
Attachment:
image.png
In the figure shown, what is the are of the triangular region PRT?

(1) The area of rectangular region PQST is 24.
(2) The length of line segment RT is 5.

[spoiler=]Source: GMATPrep Exam Pack 1

OA: A

Theory: The area of any # of trianlge(s) between
A.2 fixed parallel lines, and
B.With the same base is ALWAYS the same.

The first point makes sure that the height of the given triangles is always the same;the second point mandates the base lenght to be the same for all of them.

From the given image, try sliding the point R towards Q till the line segment RP co-incides with the side QP of the rectangle and thus, RT becomes the diagonal.
Now, if we were told to find the area of the newly formed triangle PRT, it would be nothing but \(\frac{1}{2}*24\)

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I'm sorry but I have a bit of a question on this:

(1) The are of PQST is 24 (.5*B*H) so that's the area of the triangular region: sufficient

(2) The length of the line segment RT is 5.

RT is 5
If you drop a perpendicular line down from R to PT that forms a 90 degree triangle. Let's call that point X.
Can we then assume a 3-4-5 triangle? I got 90 degrees and a 5 right?
Then triangle XRT is similar to XRP because they share the same side RX so you can set up proportions to find length PX and XT to get length PT and since you know RX is 4. b*h*.5 is the answer? thus sufficient???
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SweetiePi wrote:
I'm sorry but I have a bit of a question on this:

(1) The are of PQST is 24 (.5*B*H) so that's the area of the triangular region: sufficient

(2) The length of the line segment RT is 5.

RT is 5
If you drop a perpendicular line down from R to PT that forms a 90 degree triangle. Let's call that point X.
Can we then assume a 3-4-5 triangle? I got 90 degrees and a 5 right?
Then triangle XRT is similar to XRP because they share the same side RX so you can set up proportions to find length PX and XT to get length PT and since you know RX is 4. b*h*.5 is the answer? thus sufficient???

No, the red part is not correct. Hypotenuse of 5 does not necessarily means that the legs must be 3 and 4.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
Send PM
yuvrajsub wrote:
Attachment:
image.png

You may also prove this algebraically. Area of the rectangle is the sum of the all three embedded triangles:

(1/2*RQ*ST) + (1/2*RS*ST) + (1/2*PT*ST). But, you will notice that RQ +RS = QS= PT; hence the sum of area of triangle PQR and RST is equal to the area of PRT. Thus, the area of triangle PRT is half of the rectangle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [3]
Given Kudos: 122
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
yuvrajsub wrote:
Attachment:
image.png

Area of triangle = 1/2bh.
Area of rectangle = bh

1) Gives bh and is therefore suff.

2) Cannot get b or h. Insuff.

A

Kudos if you agree!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
yuvrajsub wrote:
Attachment:
image.png

I picked E because I thought we couldn't assume R was on QS since it is a Data Sufficiency Question and therefore, we don't know the height of the triangle. Just as we couldn't assume PQST was a quadrilateral until statement 1. I'm confused on what we can and cannot assume in these questions. Does anybody have any good advice on this?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jwang1191 wrote:
yuvrajsub wrote:
Attachment:
image.png

I picked E because I thought we couldn't assume R was on QS since it is a Data Sufficiency Question and therefore, we don't know the height of the triangle. Just as we couldn't assume PQST was a quadrilateral until statement 1. I'm confused on what we can and cannot assume in these questions. Does anybody have any good advice on this?

R is shown to be on QS so it is actually on QS. This will never be a trick on the GMAT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Kudos
yuvrajsub wrote:
Attachment:
image.png

Tricky question ahhh

What the trap in this question is getting you to think that you need a particular hypotenuse length in order to calculate the respective areas- HOWEVER if you think about the question from a formulaic perspective then you will see that the area of a right triangle

1/2 BH essentially equals the area of the square

It doesn't actually matter what the height and length are- 6 and 4 or 8 and 3 because they will multiply to 24 which can just be substituted for BH in

1/2 BH

And will result in the same answer

A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29941 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos