Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink]
tomajul1 wrote:

What if you get two separate emails - one with a scholarship and one with a Forte fellowship (which doesn't specify money) -- what does that entail? I got the Forte fellowship from another school as well but it was a scholarship...tried calling but no one's picking up!

My guess is that you're getting a scholarship from one source and being offered the benefits of the Forte Fellowship network. My thinking is that this is sort of like being a member of the Consortium, but not necessarily getting a scholarship from the school.

I bet the admissions office has been off since noon. Unfortunately you probably won't be able to reach anyone until after the new year.

admissions blog wrote:
*We are closing the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid on December 23rd and 24th; Cornell University is closed on December 25th until January 1st. A few staff members will return to the office on January 2nd and 3rd, but I do not expect a full staff until January 6th.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Keep an eye out for a FedEx package :)

Director
Director
Send PM
hamm0 wrote:

That's just the first of many pieces of swag you'll be getting. They continue to shower that stuff on you during DJ and orientation :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Johnson - Class of 2016
Send PM
hamm0 wrote:

Time to get that official Johnson tie
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE:Accounting (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats to all those admitted to the Class of 2016! I was a first rounder, accepted just before the holidays and it made for a very special new year. If anyone has Johnson or investment banking recruiting question, feel free to ping me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi all. There is a Johnson meet and greet event in Mumbai on Jan 5th Sunday 4-6pm. Please let me know who is in mumbai and i can send the event invite for them. There is also an event in Hyderabad on Jan 3rd at Banjara Hills coffee day. People who are around, please let me know.

I am not sure if Johnson would be sending an official invite.I got the invite from current 2nd year students.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi guys,
Does anybody know where do MBA students usually live on campus?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
SodaPopper wrote:
Hi guys,

I asked my JPAL Melissa about housing and she said most students live in Collegetown in "Collegetown Terrace, East Hill Plaza, Fairview or Coal Yard." However, she lives in the Commons downtown and she likes it because it's quieter, cheaper, and easily accessible to campus via regular buses.

I'm currently looking at Fairview and Cayuga Place because I need a place that allows pets.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.14
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Anyone contacted by the background check folks yet?
Director
Director
Send PM
AdamMorrison wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. I was admitted R1 last year and I don't think my background stuff started until May/June.

I think this happens because they don't want to do a bunch of background checks on people who aren't matriculating. Yes, putting down a deposit saves you a seat, but we all know some folks either put down multiple R1 deposits so that they can buy time on their decision, or they plunk down a deposit for R1 and wait and see where they're admitted in R2.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
schen1119 wrote:
SodaPopper wrote:
Hi guys,

I asked my JPAL Melissa about housing and she said most students live in Collegetown in "Collegetown Terrace, East Hill Plaza, Fairview or Coal Yard." However, she lives in the Commons downtown and she likes it because it's quieter, cheaper, and easily accessible to campus via regular buses.

I'm currently looking at Fairview and Cayuga Place because I need a place that allows pets.

I'm living in the fairview towers. Its a bit old, but you can't get much more convenient to campus(level walk). If I were to do it again, (and didn't have a dog), I'd live in Coal Yard. Great apartments, brand new building and right next to fairview.

But yeah, having a pup in Ithaca isn't as easy as you would expect. So if you want a nice level walk to campus, and don't mind extremely old appliances, fairview is a solid option. I would try for the manor over the towers though, its a bit more updated.
Director
Director
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
AdamMorrison wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. I was admitted R1 last year and I don't think my background stuff started until May/June.

I think this happens because they don't want to do a bunch of background checks on people who aren't matriculating. Yes, putting down a deposit saves you a seat, but we all know some folks either put down multiple R1 deposits so that they can buy time on their decision, or they plunk down a deposit for R1 and wait and see where they're admitted in R2.

Ha my background check wasn't completed until the end of September...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
schen1119 wrote:
SodaPopper wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm living in the fairview towers. Its a bit old, but you can't get much more convenient to campus(level walk). If I were to do it again, (and didn't have a dog), I'd live in Coal Yard. Great apartments, brand new building and right next to fairview.

But yeah, having a pup in Ithaca isn't as easy as you would expect. So if you want a nice level walk to campus, and don't mind extremely old appliances, fairview is a solid option. I would try for the manor over the towers though, its a bit more updated.

Are there any other differences between the manor and the towers? When I talked to the leasing manager on the phone (yesterday), she said the townhouses are already all filled for the 2014-2015 school year.
I'm also considering East Plaza... do you know anyone who lives over there? The townhouses seem nice and cheap, and they allow pets. On top of that, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to get to/from Sage via bus; however, I'm a bit concerned that living that far out there would make it harder to socialize and get out.
Director
Director
Send PM
schen1119 wrote:

Are there any other differences between the manor and the towers? When I talked to the leasing manager on the phone (yesterday), she said the townhouses are already all filled for the 2014-2015 school year.

This is total garbage. I live in a townhouse now and when we were looking, my roommate was told that he was "9th on the waitlist." Then a spot magically opened up a few weeks later (we made contact in March) and looking around, quite a few of my classmates live in townhouses, and I'm pretty sure we were the first to inquire about them, so there's no way that ~15 people dropped off the waitlist. They just do that to make themselves seem like they're in demand, or in reality, they probably assuming people are renewing because people haven't notified them otherwise.

Contact them again in a month or two.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
schen1119 wrote:

This is total garbage. I live in a townhouse now and when we were looking, my roommate was told that he was "9th on the waitlist." Then a spot magically opened up a few weeks later (we made contact in March) and looking around, quite a few of my classmates live in townhouses, and I'm pretty sure we were the first to inquire about them, so there's no way that ~15 people dropped off the waitlist. They just do that to make themselves seem like they're in demand, or in reality, they probably assuming people are renewing because people haven't notified them otherwise.

Cobra,
Good to know! I was pretty amazed, myself. I asked about waitlist and she said "the waitlist is full", but that she could show me a 2bdrm in either of the other two buildings in April when I'm in town for DJ. I'll call again in Feb/March.

How do you like the townhouse?
Director
Director
Send PM
schen1119 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
schen1119 wrote:

Cobra,
Good to know! I was pretty amazed, myself. I asked about waitlist and she said "the waitlist is full", but that she could show me a 2bdrm in either of the other two buildings in April when I'm in town for DJ. I'll call again in Feb/March.

agreed, I think I need to let them know if I'm renewing by feb 1st to only get a 5% increase on my rent (if I let them know later, it'll be a 10% increase...) so 1. If you want to stay in the same place for both years, plan on a 5% rent increase. 2. Don't bother inquiring until after Feb 1.

Between the Manor and the Tower, the Manor is nicer, but its a walk up. The town houses are by far the best value though.

I'm not aware of anyone who lives in Plaza east... But I specifically chose something walk-able. Westview terrace/apartments also allow dogs, and it's a bit more walk-able, but you arent very close to collegetown. There's usually a decent amount of Johnson students there
Director
Director
Send PM
schen1119 wrote:

It's a great location, and $1983 (+$55 per parking spot) split three ways with utilities included is pretty damn cheap. However, I don't have a pet, so that wasn't a concern. W/D in unit is clutch. Utilities and basic cable TV included. I will say, I wish I knew how close the Coal Yard was to Fairview. Those places are nice and I'm trying to move there next year. I figure I'll be a big pimpin 2nd year.

What kind of sucks about Fairview is that you can't control the heat in the winter so you're opening windows to cool off, and I don't have a covered parking spot.

I will also say that the management isn't very organized. We requested an unfurnished apartment and when I showed up all the furniture was there which was a problem since I had movers coming the next day with all my stuff. They got it out of there before the movers arrived, but I showed up in late July when my lease started July 1. They had plenty of time to remove that crap.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts