GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2014, 20:16
CobraKai wrote:
rocket1741 wrote:

I have also heard that most of the Park fellowships are pre-determined - with majority going to underrepresented minorities - and weekend is just for those candidates to lose.

...and I'm here to tell you you're wrong. Of the selectees of this past weekend, the only "minority" selected were two women.

Sorry, seems like I really was wrong. Well, now I think about it, I went to a diversity event, so all fellows I met there were supposed to be from under represented minorities.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.35
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 11:48
I received an email from FedEx stating that my offer binder was preparing to be shipped (overnight) - it was "initiated" - but appears to never have been delivered to FedEx. The tracking number shoes no action.

Anyone else experience the same?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 11:50
dbnoho wrote:
I received an email from FedEx stating that my offer binder was preparing to be shipped (overnight) - it was "initiated" - but appears to never have been delivered to FedEx. The tracking number shoes no action.

Anyone else experience the same?

Same here.

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 11:53
For those of you unhappy with your scholarship offers and are considering enrolling elsewhere, have you considered/tried to negotiate? Is Johnson open to that?
Schools: Johnson - Class of 2016

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 12:18
mbamyway wrote:
For those of you unhappy with your scholarship offers and are considering enrolling elsewhere, have you considered/tried to negotiate? Is Johnson open to that?

I actually met a current student who got about $10k more to match another offer. Unfortunately, once the weekend is over, you are only given 2 days to pay the first deposit so any negotiations after scholarship weekend and before the 2nd deposit may require you to forego at least $1,500 deposit, should you choose to go elsewhere.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 22:41
Any international got info on Binder/ Fedex?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 23:16
Wow... lot of negativity here... I had mixed experiences myself. The guy I met during visit and other class guys/ alumns have been very responsive. Though recently I have seen low responsiveness from 2nd years... understandable as they might be facing recruitment pressures.. I guess the weather and recruitment stress just showing off in unexpected ways... :)

Instead, I have started connecting with alumni and 1st years... They have both been very helpful...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 06:34
mbamyway wrote:

To answer your question directly - no, I have not. As Tochenzo said above, we met many people that had negotiated and received ~10k more annually. If money is your big concern, then I would definitely negotiate (especially if you have other offers at other schools or scholarship money from other schools).

Personally, I am not unhappy with my scholarship offer, but rather wish I could be part of the Park Leadership program. Going into the weekend, I had contingency plans for what would happen if I didn't get the Park and one of those was looking at another school. Getting the Park (in my mind) was a way to differentiate myself in a school that is not terribly competitive; theory being that if I could get the most esteemed scholarship at Johnson - I would have a better shot at a job at a top tier consulting firm.

All of that being said - the folks that were awarded the Park last weekend were some of the most impressive people I've met: multi-lingual, community-oriented, environmentally and ethically conscious, friendly, etc. They were entirely well-deserving of the esteem, as well as the financial compensation, and I'm proud to say I was considered in the same group of people.

I don't see any of what I've said thus far as being negative, this is a forum for personal experiences and thoughts - and I've chosen to consider other options based on my experience and my introspection about what Johnson offers me for my career. Johnson is clearly an incredible institution, otherwise we wouldn't have all applied there. :-D
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson - Class of 2016

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 07:07
Angelind wrote:
Wow... lot of negativity here... I had mixed experiences myself. The guy I met during visit and other class guys/ alumns have been very responsive. Though recently I have seen low responsiveness from 2nd years... understandable as they might be facing recruitment pressures.. I guess the weather and recruitment stress just showing off in unexpected ways... :)

Instead, I have started connecting with alumni and 1st years... They have both been very helpful...

Angelind - I don't agree that there is a lot of negativity, and if any, are unrelated to the responsiveness of the current students. Everyone I have met that currently goes to Johnson has been indrecibly helpful througout the process and I look forward to being a part of the next class.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 11:04
MBAlabama2014 wrote:
Getting the Park (in my mind) was a way to differentiate myself in a school that is not terribly competitive; theory being that if I could get the most esteemed scholarship at Johnson - I would have a better shot at a job at a top tier consulting firm.

FWIW - the Park does help you get noticed, but in the end, it's not going to get you the job (it may help get the interview). For the first year class, I know of two guys who got Bain offers, and neither of them are Park Fellows (and I don't know of any Park in the class of 2015 that landed MBB).
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 11:21
CobraKai wrote:
MBAlabama2014 wrote:
Getting the Park (in my mind) was a way to differentiate myself in a school that is not terribly competitive; theory being that if I could get the most esteemed scholarship at Johnson - I would have a better shot at a job at a top tier consulting firm.

FWIW - the Park does help you get noticed, but in the end, it's not going to get you the job (it may help get the interview). For the first year class, I know of two guys who got Bain offers, and neither of them are Park Fellows (and I don't know of any Park in the class of 2015 that landed MBB).

Makes sense - thanks for all of your input (here & in the prospective forum)! Definitely helpful to have a current student's perspective on what really happens in business school, rather than my assumptions. :thanks
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.14
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 16:14
CobraKai wrote:
MBAlabama2014 wrote:

On the topic of MBB recruitment. Around how many students land MBB offers each year? And how many students get offers from the next tier? The employment website did not give any info on hiring numbers for each company.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2014, 22:41
AdamMorrison wrote:

On the topic of MBB recruitment. Around how many students land MBB offers each year? And how many students get offers from the next tier? The employment website did not give any info on hiring numbers for each company.

For the class of 2014, nine people landed a coveted MBB internship. However, I'll point out that this includes international offices and such glamorous locations such as Cleveland, OH.

26 landed at Accenture/Deloitte/E&Y/PwC - should note here that the majority of these were in the NYC offices.

In other words, manage expectations. If the prestige of MBB is what you want, location preference is going to take a back seat. Much easier to get McKinsey Pittsburgh or Bain Dallas than either of those firms in say, San Francisco.

Another thing to keep in mind is the longview - if you don't land MBB as an intern, you can try again as a 2nd year. I've met folks at Johnson who landed McKinsey after interning in something other than consulting.

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2014, 20:44
I just felt not getting scholarships led to many disgruntled candidates. Honestly, if one likes the school and if it is first choice, it shouldn't matter much.. so the opinion. The students and staff have been extremely helpful, I was just advising people on connecting with current students based on my experiences so that it is of help to those trying to get more info about the school. Anyways to each his own... Johnson is indeed a great school and I am sure you'll have 2 wonderful years of your life there... Good luck!

Tochenzo wrote:
Angelind wrote:

Angelind - I don't agree that there is a lot of negativity, and if any, are unrelated to the responsiveness of the current students. Everyone I have met that currently goes to Johnson has been indrecibly helpful througout the process and I look forward to being a part of the next class.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2014, 00:49
Hey,

Thanks for sharing these numbers. Just a question, would you know of any AMBAs with dual degrees as well who would be doing consulting internships, or is it just 2 year MBAs. Thanks for your participation in the forum Corbakai, it has helped prospectives learn a lot about Johnson...

CobraKai wrote:
For the class of 2014, nine people landed a coveted MBB internship. However, I'll point out that this includes international offices and such glamorous locations such as Cleveland, OH.

26 landed at Accenture/Deloitte/E&Y/PwC - should note here that the majority of these were in the NYC offices.

In other words, manage expectations. If the prestige of MBB is what you want, location preference is going to take a back seat. Much easier to get McKinsey Pittsburgh or Bain Dallas than either of those firms in say, San Francisco.

Another thing to keep in mind is the longview - if you don't land MBB as an intern, you can try again as a 2nd year. I've met folks at Johnson who landed McKinsey after interning in something other than consulting.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2014, 11:16
Those numbers are just for the two years. I only know of a few folks doing a dual degree, and none of them are doing consulting since they don't need a dual degree to do that.
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.49

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2014, 11:36
CobraKai wrote:
AdamMorrison wrote:

Thanks CobraKai, your help is really useful and much appreciated!
As far as you know is there any international student who landed a job at M/B/B in a US office?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 14:21
Any R2-ers hear any news today re: scholarship offers?
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.99

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 15:14
mbamyway wrote:
Any R2-ers hear any news today re: scholarship offers?

Not yet. Hoping tomorrow's the day

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2014, 02:25
I received the binder sent via FedEx today.
Only admittance letter is there.

Did anybody receive any response from AdCom when they take a decision on scholarships?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2014, 02:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 149 posts ] 

Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: vinayakvaish, chanjaso