Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:53 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.48
WE:Other (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.48
WE:Other (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
qw1981 wrote:
r2k wrote:
Hi Guys,

For the applicants not joining anderson or not selected at Anderson what is the procedure to obtain their respective original transcript / Degree Certificate ?

Regards,
R2K

They had clearly mentioned that any document you submit to UCLA will become their property. That is why they had requested for copies of original transcripts as they do not plan to return it. If you have submitted your one and only copy then I suggest you can write a mail to them explaining your situation post you get a revert on the admission status.

thanks gw1981 - that is what i plan to do.

actually if someone is not selected / not planning to join them then I don't see any logic in withholding their respective transcripts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
r2k wrote:
qw1981 wrote:
r2k wrote:
Hi Guys,

For the applicants not joining anderson or not selected at Anderson what is the procedure to obtain their respective original transcript / Degree Certificate ?

Regards,
R2K

They had clearly mentioned that any document you submit to UCLA will become their property. That is why they had requested for copies of original transcripts as they do not plan to return it. If you have submitted your one and only copy then I suggest you can write a mail to them explaining your situation post you get a revert on the admission status.

thanks gw1981 - that is what i plan to do.

actually if someone is not selected / not planning to join them then I don't see any logic in withholding their respective transcripts.

If someone submitted official transcripts, I'm sure the adcom opened them up resulting in them becoming unofficial transcripts. So if you plan on using them for other applications you may be out of luck.

Still worth a shot though if you submitted something of more worth, like an official degree.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
So much is riding on the Anderson decision for me now. I'm on so many waitlists right now lol- it would be so nice to get an admit to Anderson next week, so I can have much more certainty with this process. *crosses fingers*
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Looks like no more admits until the deadline. I thought there would be a few more last night.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
WE:Law (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
jackanatic wrote:
Looks like no more admits until the deadline. I thought there would be a few more last night.

Yeah, I'm curious about the Anderson process myself given my other results, but I guess we just have to be patient...fwiw, I believe Duke (and Yale, should you get there) are both active with admitting from waitlists, so there's definitely still hope should you not be enthusiastic about USC.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ProleFeed13 wrote:
jackanatic wrote:

Yeah, I'm curious about the Anderson process myself given my other results, but I guess we just have to be patient...fwiw, I believe Duke (and Yale, should you get there) are both active with admitting from waitlists, so there's definitely still hope should you not be enthusiastic about USC.

My background and intended post-mba field are in film/television production, so USC is a pretty good choice for me. I live in Southern California and I will definitely stay here post graduation.

I see you have experience in the entertainment industry as well. Your applications seem to have been very successful. Where do you plan to attend, and do you intend to stay in this business?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [7]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys! It was great speaking with many of you over the last few months, but I've decided to attend Kellogg. Hopefully opening up a waitlist spot for one of you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [5]
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Kudos
jbug wrote:
gambelda wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:
Yea I'm sure the application change also has a lot to do with the increase. 1 recommendation and 1 essay is a lot less intimidating and a lot easier to sneak in last minute.

I'm no expert but here's what I'd predict:

-yield will drop slightly (it's easier to tack on as a safety now)
-the 1 essay won't allow personality to be a huge factor in the decision process (this is super unfortunate as the culture and legacy/network of its grads aren't where I think they belong) [I was interviewed at the 3 M7 schools I applied to and not at Anderson - really feel like my story had no place in their short application as it was probably what earned me an interview everywhere else]

+ rankings will be bumped up for selectivity - those GMAT's and GPA's will inevitably be going up with more applicants
+ application volume will be a huge headline for them to flaunt moving into next year's recruitment season

I'm still a fan of Anderson but my interactions as an applicant have brought my liking of them to diminish.

-Perhaps I'm just a disgruntled applicant but I felt the least appreciated here (emails sent to admissions weren't responded to, student interactions were terse, people i was passed along to contact never replied, class visit was dull). Alumni didn't seem interested in figuring out my fit but instead were set on sharing their accomplishments. Sadly I thought this would be a friendlier and more familial experience but in reaching out, the LA girl in me just about crossed this school off her list.

Try visiting Marshall in close proximity to UCLA and see how different the two are. It's uncanny how much more welcoming, friendlier and close knit SC is. Again i'm very torn and much of it has to do with rankings (which I should get over) but UCLA has been disappointing as an applicant. Perhaps if I'm accepted they'll welcome me in a totally different way. :roll: But being totally transparent - these are experiences that will leave scars regardless of the traction I may or may not make this month. As schools BEYOND my league have accepted me - I still felt more welcome as a reach applicant there than I have as someone who has gone out of their way to show love for Anderson.

:|

Ha really? I felt the exact opposite. My USC application process was HORRIBLE.

Can you provide details on these horrible experiences? As far as my experiences have been throughout the application process, I submitted my application, experienced one technical difficulty (by the admin office's fault) causing a delay in the review of my application. They apologized for the issue and there's not much else to do about it. I wouldn't call that a horrible experience. Can anybody share their experiences, which have turned them off?

Again I'll stand by this school being my first choice until I actually applied. And in theory and on paper I still think there's plenty of great things to say about Anderson.

However as someone so ready to fall deeper in love as an applicant, I quickly felt like a number on campus. Particularly with admissions. Despite being "networked" with people on adcom to reach out to, I NEVER heard back. (I also called numbers handed to me referencing specifics) - and students were the ones referring me. There was also an adcom member who told me specifically to message them …. again NO RESPONSE.

There are key people on their leadership team who have been quoted saying some pretty strong statements about business, non-profits, and government of which I fundamentally don't agree with. I'm NO EXPERT but it was off-putting hearing a program take an active stance against integrating certain spheres of business I deeply believe in. They're not alone in this and may be smart in taking a strong stance…. but in this regard, I ideologically found Anderson not to be a match for me. It was odd as students shared a very different opinion on the matter when I was early in the application process. Perhaps a recent shift but one that I didn't enjoy learning about.

I think the students at UCLA are definitely quality people and this year's incoming class will no doubt be the same (if not numerically "better") with their uptick in apps. What I think is unfortunate though is their new "easier" app. There's no space to really share your story and 1 rec is a bit redic considering how standard my interview was. In hearing back from a certain school further north and hearing why I was accepted on the phone, literally everything brought up were elements I had NO SPACE to mention on my LA app. Makes me wonder what they're looking for and how they can find it. It was a tough choice withdrawing but having been admitted I'd be stealing a spot from someone who wants it more than me.

Side note : My class visit was also disappointing. Students didn't have the camaraderie I saw at other schools and the prof was dull with the content. And again I WANTED TO LOVE IT SO BADLY. Maybe it was a bad day ?

The school is on a clear mission to improve its ranking (and what's wrong with that!?) but sadly i think it will be at the expense of the personality and soul I now realize means more to me in my school.

I come from a family of Bruins and even went so far as to regret choosing not to attend for undergrad. The school as a whole I still appreciate. Anderson however I found to just not be a match for myself. With the history I have, this wasn't a conclusion I jumped to quickly. It occurred slowly and over time. I visited multiple times, spoke with a lot of students, and networked with some alumni via my Anderson parents. In the end it just felt hollow. It's hard to explain. And FYI I'm a pretty "unconventional" applicant so my metrics could be COMPLETELY off and different so please don't destroy me for my honesty.

I hate posting this in here but wanted to reply to the question asked and just be honest. If you get in and loved your experience. GO BRUINS! There was no shortage of people who shared their love for UCLA (and my parents are still fervent Bruins). However if you're on the fence or get rejected - perhaps something more fitting is on the horizon for you as I learned is the case for me.

Good luck this week guys and hope my withdrawal helps someone out!

Originally posted by christinemmx86 on 27 Mar 2014, 20:54.
Last edited by christinemmx86 on 28 Apr 2014, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Anderson was very responseful with me. The adcom always answered my emails quickly. Interacted with about a half dozen students and they always answered me with long emails. Had an hour long conversation with one. I think maybe the issue is they don't start responding until students are accepted, since they get so many applicant?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Law (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
@Christinemmx86:
Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience with Anderson :( Too bad to hear that your top choice went down a few positions, but I can understand, I had a similar experience with other schools when I was deciding where to apply and as a consequence of that I didn't. Anyway, I think the vibe of the school is an important factor, and it is great to hear you have found another school where you feel welcome.

My case with anderson was just the opposite, at first I just liked the school but after the welcoming I received from its community (the alumni from my country were especially responsive) and my experience during campus visit last September I started to love it! :)
I felt really welcome by both students and admissions, I interacted with one admissions person and when I got there she introduced me to more admissions staff to tell me about the school and they were all nice and approachable. And they have always replied my emails quite fast, especially when I had a problem with original certificates. I guess we might have interacted with different adcom people... :roll:

As for students and alumni, i did not have the impression you got at all, they were really eager to know me and some even showed me around LA when I visited. And I have been in touch with many of them during the whole process. Again, probably interacted with different people...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
If you don't get an interview, it this pretty much a ding or is there a chance you get W/L?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Same question as gnova01. I will need to make a decision very soon... still waiting :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Kudos
There definitely is a chance to get waitlisted! Until you see an actual ding don't lose hope. Speaking for myself, there was another school where I applied R1, got waitlisted for two rounds w/o interview, and just had my interview over the weekend for R3. So, it is definitely possible. Until you're out, you're still in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Send PM
Just one more day to go before the decisions get released by Anderson! Good luck to you all and try to not think about it too much tomorrow :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Got the mail five minutes ago, in!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wait listed. Not out of the running yet!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Dinged! :-)) Good luck guys! UCLA is a great school!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts