Last visit was: 18 May 2024, 07:50 It is currently 18 May 2024, 07:50
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
 1   2   3  ...  30   
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [10]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kelley-Indiana Applicant(2015 Intake)Class of 17 [#permalink]
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: A Love Letter to Minneapolis: My Minnesota Summer

By Julia Wilcox, MBA'15

This post originally appeared on Arts to Business, a blog by MBA students Julia Wilcox and Ellen Gartner Phillips, two performers who met at the Kelley School of Business

I’m in my car, driving around 3M campus, trying to figure out what in the heck is going on with this map HR sent us. I’m turning it upside down and sideways to see if it somehow makes more sense in those configurations. 3M campus is way bigger than I remembered from our Business Marketing Academy trip last fall and I have exactly 15 minutes to make it to our first training before I am officially late. I take a deep breath, trying to calm my anxiety when I spot my roommate’s car in the visitor lot. I park next to her. I couldn’t quite see building 224 from where I was parked, but I figured I’d go in the one marked visitor entrance and just ask. People in Minnesota are sugary nice, and I knew they’d direct me to the right spot. I walk into the door, so self-focused that I fail to realize that I’ve started what looks like the intern-zombie apocalypse behind me. By the time I reach the desk, I have about 10 interns who had for some reason thought I looked put together enough (or just lost enough) to follow into the building. I let out a sigh of relief, thankful that I wasn’t the only idiot who couldn’t figure out the map. The poor receptionist deals with each of us, and makes sure she has somebody hand deliver us to the correct location.

That morning I met Nate, the intern from Duke with whom I’d share the 3M Strategic Business Development (SBD) experience. He would become my carpool buddy and confidant for the summer, the person I’d share my most honest struggles, successes and stories of 3M with. We are in many ways polar opposites, but connect on our mutual love for craft beer, nature and sitting on rooftops. His brain is analytical in all the ways that mine is creative and that gave us balance and the opportunity to learn from each other. He once did a competitive analysis on my dating prospects in Minneapolis, to which I replied “Who are you?” We laughed and then sat in silence, enjoying the sunset from the rooftop of our apartment building.

There were 5 SBD interns that started on May 19th, another wave on June 2nd, and then a final 2 on June 16th. During the week of June 2nd, I met Jinmin (MIT) and Ryan (Michigan), two others with whom I would develop close relationships. Jinmin changed me in ways that I’ll carry the remainder of my life. I’ve become more gracious, kind, direct and comfortable with myself as a result of the friendship I’ve developed with her. One late night we stayed up until 3am watching Louie and eating slightly burned popcorn (I was too busy chatting her ear off to realize I had put the popcorn in the microwave a little too long). I woke up the next morning to find popcorn strewn across the couch where we had sat, a sign of a well-lived evening.

“I got you champagne,” Ryan says. I look down and he’s holding two bottles of Le Croix sparkling water. “Well, work champagne.” It was 4pm, the time of day when Ryan claimed his brain stopped functioning properly and when I was too restless to stand at my desk for another moment. Almost every day, we would meet outside the corporate strategy office at 4pm sharp and take a lap around the quad. On this particular day, I had just finished my final presentation. I was exhausted and wasn’t sure how I’d make it to the end of the day, and then I saw it – that beautiful, sparkling bottle of deliciousness. In the hallway Ryan gave me an enthusiastic “Congrats!”, popped both the tops, then we clinked bottles and set off on our lap. As I approached the first turn he grabbed my arm, pulling me to the side. “Watch out!” he said, slightly too loud for the corporate environment. “The hot lava. You almost stepped in it.” I laughed and said, “Why, thank you, good sir.” I had completely forgotten about my incident a week before, when I wiped out, (gracefully, of course) because my heel slipped in that one pesky spot where the carpet changed to linoleum.

The 3M SBD internship itself was everything I thought it would be. The work was challenging, rewarding and diverse, what one could expect from a $30B company who has its hand in just about everything. What I didn’t expect was to fall in love with Minneapolis, the city I’ll always remember as the place where I stopped running from my life. When I started at Kelley, I remember Eric Johnson saying, “People come to Kelley either running from something, or running to something.” I’ve caught my breath and have had the chance to reflect on what felt like the most emotionally and intellectually challenging year of my life. I can now recognize that I am different and am starting to become a better version of myself. I have fallen completely in love with my life and with the direction it’s going. I have returned to Bloomington happier than I have ever been, to friends that I am so very lucky to have. I am, for the first time in a long, long while, enjoying my day to day, which for now consists of late night snacks with Marie, hugging those I haven’t seen in 12 weeks, dancing in red converse, and eagerly waiting for the rest of my favorites to get back to Bloomington for MBA Year 2.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Joe Ungers, MBA'15: The Pacesetter

Joe Ungers
Cincinnati, OH
BS'08, Business Economics, Miami University
MBA’15, Supply Chain Academy, Kelley School of Business

Describe your pre-MBA career.

My background is in energy and metal—everything from brokerage to supply chain management. I really wanted to take my career to the next level and go after a job in management so I decided to get an MBA. I’m now learning the foundations of what it takes to be a leader while leveraging my past experiences to bring something unique to the table.

Describe your experience in the Core.

Right off the bat, I didn’t expect to be learning from such high-caliber professors. I figured that would eventually come, but from the first class in the Core you’re getting personal attention from some of the top business minds in the world. From the culture of collaboration to the camaraderie among fellow students—it all naturally encourages engaging lessons. The Core created an environment that set the tone for my entire year.

Was there a time at Kelley when everything seemed to click?

Before I even arrived it had clicked. I chose Kelley for the Academy element of the curriculum—something I hadn’t found anywhere else. The Supply Chain Academy, as well as the other Academies, brings a multi-faceted and interdisciplinary approach to what are often isolated conversations. The learning that happens in the Academy transcends the classroom; we’re working with real clients on real problems and bringing actionable solutions to the table.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Jacqui Cuffe, MBA'14: The Inspired Doer

Jacqui Cuffe
San Francisco, CA
BA’04, Business Economics, University of California Santa Barbara
MBA’14, Entrepreneurial Innovation Academy, Kelley School of Business

I’d been calling the West Coast home, living in San Francisco and working most recently for Oracle in tech and software sales. I had convinced myself that a career switch was what I wanted and was looking to explore a new segment of business—an MBA seemed like the logical next step. During a networking roundtable at orientation, however, I realized that I loved tech and sales and decided to learn more in the area i already knew so much about.

Why did you choose Kelley?
It is true when they say the Kelley alumni network is robust and worldwide, and I experienced that firsthand in my decision-making process for the right MBA program. I found myself at a networking event for women in San Francisco that brought strong career women together around…food! We were in a cooking class and next thing I knew I was surrounded by a handful of Kelley alums. They were completely honest with me and I could sense their passion for the program, and in that moment, I made my choice.

What is the most valuable insight you learned at Kelley?
I came to understand and accept at Kelley that we all truly have something to offer and often what one person has is what another person lacks. That’s very hard for us high-achievers to admit. On a recent project, I was having difficulty arriving at a solution and I reached out for help from a peer who I knew was great at the subject. It was a moment of humility for me. The very next week that same person came up to me in desperate need of leadership coaching for an upcoming case competition, and I was there to reciprocate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Ellen Gartner Phillips, MBA'15: The Practitioner

Ellen Gartner Phillips, MBA’15, is a natural performer. She’s used her passion for music as a vehicle to teach, consult, and manage as a small business owner, but even with two degrees she wanted to further her education. She began shopping for arts administration programs and landed on an MBA. Here's why she chose Kelley, and what she's gotten out of her experience to date.

Ellen Gartner Phillips
Chicago, IL
BM'05, Music Performance, Northwestern University
MM'07, MuSic PerforMAnce, Rice University
MBA’15, Consulting Academy, Dean's Fellow, Kelley School of Business

What brought you to Kelley?

The idea and love of Indiana University was planted in me early—my grandfather was a football coach at IU in the 1960s. It’s safe to say I was a hoosier before birth. I’m a professional musician and have used my passion for music as a vehicle to teach, consult, and manage as a small business owner. I wanted to further my education, so I started shopping for arts administration programs online, yet kept being directed to MBA pages. I decided to visit a number of schools and Kelley was the only one that felt like home. everything comes full circle.

How do you feel the Kelley culture and curriculum are setting you up for success?

I was sure I wanted to pursue brand management through the MBA program. From all my experience in talent and contract management, I thought that would be a logical field to pursue. It became clear that the Kelley experience is less what’s logical and more what we uncover about ourselves through the program. The faculty and the community have a way of revealing greatness in each person. I found confidence and energy in exploring new things—now I'm in the Consulting Academy, working for Deloitte this summer. I would have never imagined this would be the path I’d take.

What’s the most valuable insight you’ve learned so far?

Kelley has helped me shift my mindset about what I really want—and that is almost preparation enough for the next step in my career. I’m constantly learning and evolving, and I know more than I give myself credit for. I have great insight to offer, and I’m adding value in a very tangible way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Immersed in the Business of Beauty: My Internship at L'Oreal

By Susana Zazueta, MBA'15

Working in The Big Apple has always been a dream of mine. As a teenager, I dreamt about living in the city as a “business woman” and riding the subway to work. This summer I was able to turn this dream into a reality as an intern at L’Oreal. As the first ever Kelley intern at L’Oreal, I knew it was going to be a challenging summer, but I was ready to give it my all.

I was thrilled to be placed on the Garnier Fructis haircare brand, as it allowed me the opportunity to merge the Consumer Packaged Goods world that I want to work in with elements of the fashion industry that I am passionate about.

My pre-MBA experience in fashion and brand management, coupled with what I learned from Kelley’s consumer marketing academy, enabled me to contribute from my very first day. I was evaluating photo shoots for future product ads, commenting on promotional displays, generating creative briefs to enhance current PDQ’s, and creating weekly sales performance summaries.

The second week of my internship when my name appeared in my manager’s Out of Office email reply, I knew I was seen as much more than an intern. Fortunately, Kelley’s rigorous program had prepared me to excel in challenging situations. One of our Kelley Values is excellence—embracing challenges and continually self-improving. I felt empowered by the training I had received at Kelley, to not only embrace the challenge but also push myself to exceed my own expectations.

I was given two projects to complete during my internship. From evaluating the opportunity in a new product category to building a launch strategy for an existing product, I had a lot to learn in a very short amount of time. Working within L’Oreal’s lean team structure made it a very challenging workplace, but as a result I met some fantastic people who were willing to share their insights and offer guidance that I found invaluable.

I had an incredible summer and learned a lot about what I am looking for. My internship taught me that I really do have a passion for brand management in consumer products, and that it doesn’t matter whether I am selling toys to a four year old or hairspray to a 22 year old. It’s just a matter of knowing how to use the tools you are given to connect consumers to your brand.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Pedro Albarrán, MBA'02: The Strategist

Pedro Albarrán

Mexico City, Mexico
Managing Director, Hyundai Motor Mexico
MBA ’02, Kelley School of Business

How did you find your first post-MBA opportunity?

I came to Kelley from Arthur Andersen, where I did business consulting for the automotive industry. During that time, Toyota contacted us to do research on starting an operation in Mexico. It seemed like a great opportunity for me, but when I met Toyota’s recruiters at Kelley, they were looking for US students only. I kept pushing—I looked for people at Toyota connected to the Mexico project, and I sent personal letters telling them I had some experience in the field, could work in the United States, but ultimately wanted to return to Mexico. And after 13 great years at Toyota, I had the opportunity to grow in the industry and recently took on the managing director role at Hyundai’s headquarters in Mexico—and the momentum I’ve found in my career is all because of Kelley.

How did Kelley prepare you for the challenges you face in the automotive industry?

The MBA program also has a strong interest in global business. Toyota is a Japanese company with a California subsidiary that was launching a Mexico operation. These are three very different cultures. It’s a similar situation with Hyundai, a Korean company with offices around the world. Through my Academy, I learned cultural competency strategies that helped me integrate the best of each. I also got a wide-ranging education. I wasn’t a marketing major, but the faculty in that area are great, and I took a lot of those courses. This helped me as Toyota was setting up the first stages of our marketing efforts and gave me the tools I needed to get operations off the ground in Mexico for Hyundai. My strategy courses were also very relevant when it came to launching a company in a new country. I keep those textbooks on my desk to this day—they keep me connected to the lessons and people who were so instrumental in my success.

What advice do you have for future MBAs?

First, look at schools to see how much flexibility they allow in their coursework. Kelley really enables you to customize. Second, try to take as many courses as possible with the best professors, no matter what discipline. Even if it’s a subject that doesn’t interest you, you’ll always learn a lot from a good professor, and Kelley has great faculty. Third, look for global experiences. The world is getting more integrated, and that needs to be a priority. Kelley has worked hard to give students those opportunities.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: What to expect in a consulting internship

By Ellen Gartner Phillips, MBA'15

Going through recruiting on campus last year with Deloitte Consulting, I was as proactive as possible about asking Kelley alumni what to expect in a consulting internship.

I was told throughout the process that I would be working on one project for the duration of the summer, and that I should expect to be filling the role of a Senior Consultant on my team.  Occasionally there were those random instances where someone ended up on multiple projects, but that was HIGHLY unlikely.

So, of course, that outlier ended up being my summer. And it was awesome. I had the fortune of experiencing three different projects with the same client, and had the opportunity to dive into multiple parts of a huge company. 

I got to see how Deloitte builds and manages relationships with its clients, as well as learn how to work with multiple managers on very different teams. I filled numerous roles and by week four of my summer I was presenting with our team to senior leadership in the client organization. 

People talked about the Core at Kelley being like drinking from a fire hose, and this experience truly opened the floodgates. 

I went in wanting to try on the ‘consulting lifestyle’, which everyone associates with travel.  I came away understanding that the consulting lifestyle does include a lot of travel, but that it is also about long hours with your team in a (more often than not) different room every day, being comfortable with ambiguity, and learning how to really unplug on the weekends. 

I learned how necessary it is to build a solid network you can trust, and started to understand how to best manage relationships within an organization.

I was continually impressed at the high bar that was set and that the teams I worked with had the client’s best interest in mind at all times. 

My fears that a ‘non-traditional’ background in music performance would hinder me were put to rest as I realized that I had been taught a way of thinking both through my training in music analysis as well as data synthesis.

So, how was my summer? Crazy. And amazing. 

I look at what I learned in 10 weeks: valuable perspective from the others in my intern class, that I could push myself further than I thought, and that I was well-equipped with the first year at Kelley under my belt. I am more excited to be back at Kelley as a second-year than I expected to be.  It’s invigorating to see the confidence that my classmates have come back with after their respective internships. It’s good to be home.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10062 [1]
Given Kudos: 4547
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
From the Blog of 'GMalhotra' - Kelly Current Student wrote:

August 1, 2014

Art of gathering information from admission officers/current students

Onset of August unofficially kicks off the preparation for applications to B Schools. Applicants start reaching out to admission officers/current students and gathering intelligence about admission process, courses offered, career opportunities, clubs, culture etc. This is a fantastic way to not only evaluate your goal alignment and fit with the school – a place where you will be investing 2 years of your life and considerable amount of financial resources, but also to start building your network and impress the school with your skills, personality and passion.

Every school has its own unique culture and they are always on lookout for applicants who display/possess some key qualities/characteristics that complement their culture. Good insights about a school will help you in unraveling what those key characteristics are and in writing high quality admission essays. During interviews you will be a lot more confident, able to easily distinguish yourself with the plethora of information and immediately strike a chord with your interviewer. Once you do that, then nothing stands between you and your admission offer.

But reaching out for information is a process that requires skill, a systematic approach and above all patience. Here are some Do’s and Don’ts that applicants should keep in mind as they reach out to current students/admission officers. You will be able to extract quality information in least amount of time, build your network and leave a good impression.

DO’s

Do your own homework on basic information:-

This seems very basic. However, many students skip going through the school website and rely on current students for information such as class size, class profile, placement stats, clubs and specialization offered etc. Websites contain a wealth of information and are regularly updated with latest information that even current students may be unaware of. Not doing your basic research reflects poorly on the applicant.

Do give a short 2 line background about yourself.

Always give a short 2 line description about yourself when reaching out to someone for the first time. It will help the other person build a mental impression about you. Include your prior industry experience, future career interest and nationality if you are an international student. Leave out all personal details.

Do give reference of people

If you are contacting someone in school because some third person recommended him/her, then give your recommender’s reference when you introduce yourself. Your chances of getting a response then increase exponentially. More so because may be the admission staff/student greatly values his/her relationship with your recommender. Also make sure to keep your recommender updated about your meetings. It shows that you respect and take his guidance seriously and can seek out his help next time.

Do try to get an appointment as a first step rather than information.

This is something I have learnt from my experience in retail & service industry. When you are making a sale or need something from someone, first try to build a relationship. Once you do it, your next steps are a cakewalk. So focus on building a relationship rather than simply asking for information during your first interaction with current students/admission office. People love to talk about themselves and their work. So a good starting point is by asking students about their work and achievements. Each interaction will tell you something new about that student and give you a starting point for your next conversation. Keep on strengthening that bond and you will see the student/admission officer gradually turning into your strong advocate.

Do give students time to respond.

July, August, September and October are super busy months. Students are busy wrapping up internships or preparing for full time job placements. So expect a delay in getting a response. Patience is the key here.

Be courteous.

While writing emails, be courteous. Recognize the fact that the other person is helping you out for no apparent benefit. Sometimes people unknowingly give a perception of things that is different from reality. Make sure that even with your best feelings in heart you are not giving a wrong perception. If that is the case, be clear that you will not get a response and your probability of getting an admission reject also sky rockets.

Do proof read

Always ask someone else to proof read your emails before sending them out. Grammatical errors can sometimes leave a bad impression and project you as someone who is sloppy or does not give attention to details.

DO send a thank you note after your interaction

Always send a well-crafted thank you note whenever you speak/Skype/call an admission officer or current student, preferably within 24 hours. Acknowledge their efforts. It leaves a positive impression. Though sending a thank-you note is not going to increase your chances of admission but not sending might dent, though in rare cases. But why take chances.

DONT’s

Don’t come up with a laundry list of questions.

I sometimes get emails from applicants asking me anywhere from 10 to 15 questions. Never do that! It is a big turn off and your email will most probably end up in trash folder. No one has time to read so many questions, leave aside answering them. In emails, limit yourself to maximum 3 most pressing questions. Later on as you strengthen your bond, you can reach out and ask more questions.

Don’t ask open ended or vague questions.

Applicants regularly ask questions like – “How can your school help me break into consulting”? Such questions are very broad and open to diverse interpretations. The answers can be long and people will tend to skip/avoid answering them. Try to be as specific as possible in your questions, like mention which industry/function you want to break into as a consultant. It will help people give you relevant and quality information.

Don’t ask for profile evaluation please.

Please! Please! Please! Never ask any admission officer or student to evaluate your profile. First of all, it is a fruitless exercise. If there was any one who could predict your future with certainty, he would have been a billionaire by now. Being a MBA student or working as an admissions coordinator would then be the last thing in his mind. Secondly, no one knows what you are capable of achieving in your life except YOU and you don’t want anyone else to define the boundaries or set limits to your aims/aspirations.

Don’t lose heart if you don’t get any response.

Reaching out to schools/students for information is a tedious process and if you don’t get success initially, it can be disappointing/demoralizing. I would only suggest – don’t lose heart and keep on trying. It is all about perseverance, patience and the right approach. See it as a preparation to what awaits you ahead in B school life. I can say with full conviction that in today’s world, figuring out the correct people, reaching out to them and asking them the right questions in the right manner are some of the fundamental skills required to be successful and neither many people have those skills nor do they get a chance to develop them. So make full use of this opportunity.

(Disclaimer: The writer is currently a student at Kelley School of Business and is a volunteer at Hoosier Host – a students outreach program at Kelley for prospective students. However the views expressed over here are writer’s personal views and have no relation to Kelley School of Business)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Latasha Watkins, MBA'14: The Wonder Woman

Latasha Watkins
Chicago, IL
BS'98, Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
MBA’14, Consumer Marketing Academy, Kelley School of Business

Latasha Watkins had a healthy career at General Mills that spanned supply chain and
operations. She’d been there 14 years, but she knew there would be a point when she wanted
more. Soul searching turned into studying for the GMAT, and she found what she was looking for at the Kelley School of Business.

The catch: Her family of four. It took some adjusting. For two years, Latasha lived in Bloomington with her one-year-old son, while her husband lived and worked in Chicago, keeping their three-year-old son grounded there in his life and at school. Here's how she made it work.

I had been working at General Mills for over 14 years in different roles that spanned supply chain and operations, and I was progressing very well in my career. There was a point, though, when I could see where the path was leading and I wasn’t completely satisfied with how it would inevitably play out. I wanted more. Soul-searching turned into studying for the GMAT, and soon I was moving full force ahead.

What’s it like to bring your family to Kelley?

My family is more important than anything, and my husband and I made this experience work for us all. I live here in Bloomington with my one-year-old, Jonathan, while my husband spends most of his time in Chicago with our three-year-old, Jayden. he works in Chicago and keeps our son grounded there in his life and at school. An unforeseen win happened through this process: Jayden has established an incredible bond with my husband. They may have not had that opportunity had it not been for my two years away at Kelley.

How has Kelley prepared you for the next step?

Kelley helped me redefine what I thought success was. Before Kelley, my work was about providing for my family and doing what I knew I could do well. After Kelley, I became very comfortable with saying, “work is what makes me feel fulfilled"; it’s the freedom to pursue what makes me happy and brings me joy. I know through Kelley I’ve become a stronger woman, wife, and mother. I couldn’t ask for anything more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hello

I am an Indian applicant and need to take TOEFL. I will not be able to take TOEFL before Oct 15 deadline. Can I submit my application for Oct 15 deadline without the TOEFL score and email the score to adcom sometime early November? Will they still consider me for R1?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM