Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 20:00 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 20:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink]
appleamily wrote:
neo656 wrote:
Nevermind.
Another article. This time from Canada...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/business-education/case-studies-in-the-business-of-romance/article17450779/

Allan Lingwood did what any single guy might do and scoped the room for women on his first day of MBA school. As one of only 44 daytime students enrolled at University of Victoria’s Peter B. Gustavson School of Business, he noticed Katherine Cochrane right away.

“A scan was done. I created a short list,” says Allan, a 33-year-old business strategy consultant, inside the couple’s Victoria home as he recalled that day in August of 2007.

“I saw him do the scan,” says Katherine Lingwood, 29, his wife of almost four years, a regional contracts manager at B.C. Transit. “He looked at me and this big smile broke across his face and I was, like, ‘I gotta look away.’ ”

As MBA students at UVic’s business school, known for its intimate class sizes, the couple was doing a 17-month program, studying at least 60 hours a week and basically breathing, eating and sleeping MBA. They became friends within a month thanks to networking events, projects and social outings. Later, they worked on their thesis together focusing on their shared passion for international business development overseas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No B-school necessarily wants to be known as a matchmaker, but few can control the affairs of the heart.

That’s why budding romances don’t surprise Pat Elemans, assistant dean at UVic’s business school and former MBA director. Every year at least one relationship develops, says Ms. Elemans, and she often tells students: “These are the people you are going to be sweating with and working with and socializing with. For some of you, your life partner is in this room.”

Awwwww...

The guys sounds like a total douche. :lol:

haha..the way its written makes it sound like the most uninspiring love story of all times..a scan was done??! lol!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink]
A short guide to picking up girls in the US.
Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvH7jEpMdA

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Ivan91 wrote:
Enjoy

I once got picked up by this in Sarajevo (white-hair guy in the driver seat is the owner, built the car from scratch):

True story!!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
appleamily wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
Enjoy

I once got picked up by this in Sarajevo (white-hair guy in the driver seat is the owner, built the car from scratch):

True story!!! :-D

Nice! he's got game ;) :p
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I wonder what would happen to someone picking girls in Sarajevo with a ferrari :D Probably he would be stripped out of his car, clothes, and teeth :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ivan91 wrote:
I wonder what would happen to someone picking girls in Sarajevo with a ferrari :D Probably he would be stripped out of his car, clothes, and teeth :D

Out of sheer disgust, perhaps. :lol:

Sarajevo is a pretty cool city. Quite awe-inspiring, actually. Btw it was the car in which Franz Ferdinand was assassinated... and the rest is history.

Seeing what's happening in Syria today somehow reminds me of what the UN did more than 10 years ago when the city was under siege. So much of the world has changed since then, but not much of its indifference and feigned ignorance.

On a lighter note, I've heard people say "luxury cars are for guys with small *packages*". Can anyone confirm if it's (statistically) true?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Statistically speaking, luxury cars are bought by successful guys. And just for statistical purposes, one might argue that people with some flaws (small packages being one of them), might try harder to succeed in order to make up for the flaw. So...statistically speaking, you might be right :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
https://www.askmen.com/cars/car_tips_150 ... r_tip.html

On point.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
newsHaas wrote:
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Student Voice: An EMBA Immersion in Leadership Communication

Spencer Brasfield, MBA 15, is the founder of Mindshare Law, a boutique law firm in Gray, Tennessee. He entered the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program in May 2014.

Here, he shares his thoughts on the EMBA program's Leadership Communication immersion (one of five immersive experiences), held in Napa:

What did you expect of the week and how did it match (or not) your expectations?

Truthfully, I was pretty skeptical and expected a fair amount of "getting in touch with my feelings" jargon that would amount to almost nothing useful in business terms, much less any appreciable personal development. In short, I was completely wrong.

Now, there was a great deal of "getting in touch" but it was all directed toward facilitating genuine leadership and communication—even in public speaking scenarios. It wasn't until I saw this alternative to "biz" speak and stats-based leadership, that I appreciated the strength of being human and approachable.

This very powerfully juxtaposed the "norm" with the potential we all possess to be exceptional, powerful, and memorable. Nothing—and I do mean nothing—can capture the fullness of the experience in Napa and the profound mark it left on all of us.

What was your biggest takeaway?

Be present, and be courageous enough to be vulnerable—even at the risk of rebuke or failure.

What surprised you?

That by addressing the touchy/feely stuff, my hard communication and presentation skills improved dramatically. Unexpectedly, the inter and intra-personal issues really emerged in my "hard" presentation skills, things such as hidden nervousness, guardedness, etc.

What it was like to share this experience with your classmates?

Expressing raw emotion in front one another through the course of our assignments and presentations exposed us to the deeper and more "real" side of one another, giving us great appreciation, respect, and friendship than could have ever been produced through any amount of purely social activities.

I am certain that this course alone drew us closer than we would have been otherwise. Of course, developing lasting friendships (aka network) is the entire purpose and most lasting takeaway from B-school. So, it's possible that this one course achieved the entire purpose single-handedly.

Why should anyone who wants to be a leader engage in such a process?

Leadership involves leading people, and people require a sense of trust to give them comfort in following. Building and maintaining that trust over time requires presence, genuineness, and vulnerability (aka honesty), and an above average mastery of the art of communication. This course demands all three and is completely devoid of the shortcuts that would deliver less than long term results.

In the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program, 25 percent of learning is experiential. We invite you to learn more about immersive learning in the program.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB

Ha, Haas sure knows how to get the ladies. I could barely focus on what his answers were I was too busy staring at those eyes!

Because it's so relevant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm definitely bookmarking this thread!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
Because it's so relevant

And that he's in the EMBA at Haas...good chance he's already taken.

BTW, I just stumbled on this thread...it's hilarious. I met my first spouse in law school. We are divorced now. I am now happily married to someone I didn't go to school with. I think the pressures of school puts you into a false light of how people actually connect and work together. Without having to do assignments together, study together, attend class together, etc...you can find yourself growing apart and having very little common ground. That was at least my experience. Real world vs school world = completely different.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
My spouse and I were in same graduate and undergrad school in India. I never knew her till we started doing our masters. After that we worked in the same organization for 2 years. Its been 9 years of friendship, 3 years of courtship and 2 years of marriage. Yet, during my college year it never crossed my mind I am going to spend the rest of my life with this woman :)

Interesting thread and stories.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Whoa--- did i just spend the past 3 hours going through all the 21 pages of this thread. !!!!
I am kinda bummed(or not!:)) that I did not stumble on it during the essay writing phase of my app process. Since I read the entire thing at once, its interesting to note how the mood of the discussion has changed over the past 6 years.[ all relevant to this thread though]. Most of it was downright hilarious. Folks from '08 need to come back and complete their stories ! Seriously -- please tell us what happened .

Earnest request to anyone who is reading this at any time in the future [days/ months/ years or what not]: post and keep the thread alive!! you need threads such as this one to pump in the much needed stress free excitement that the B school app process lacks.

I am an international working in the states . Yes inter racial dating does exist. I have been a part of such an experience and it was legit fun while it lasted. Totally depends on who you end up meeting , IMO a stereotype does not exist when it comes to matters of the heart. People have different personalities and they go to varied lengths to get what they want. A mix of cultures can be oh -so attractive or downright effin awkward depending on how you and your flame look at things in general .

As far as schools i did visit many . I remember having this conversation with a friend of mine last month raving about how smokin some of the women at duke were. Kellogg had more of the cute kind. < yea i dig that too > . My wharton visit coincided with the veterans day so there's not much to talk bout there lol. As far as booth, well let's just say i dont rmbr much...

Anyway i did hit it off (atleast I think so) with this girl during my duke visit. She was a russian living in Canada . An extremely pleasing personality very warm smile.We started talking about our work exp . I work with with oil and gas and she was into finance. Clearly, that conversation wasnt going places. We switched topics to the duke culture which gave me 15 more min. Additionally The fact that we were both internationals wanting an MBA from the US bought me another 10 ;) We ended up sitting in class together and later shared a pizza at the duke cafeteria. I rmbr she looked at me and smiled when the second year student giving us a campus tour talked about fuqua's mixer with the nursing school lol. We were both single and for a general world setting I had enough reasons to make a real move--except that the setting was not a tad bit general . We got out of campus and for it was raining, shared an umbrella (it was hers). The 5 min walk from fuqua's main gate to the parking seemed ten times shorter . And before I could ask for her "business card" , she had already said the goodbyes and unlocked her car door.I got into my chevy rental and took off for the airport.LOL
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
EndGame wrote:
Whoa--- did i just spend the past 3 hours going through all the 21 pages of this thread. !!!!
I am kinda bummed(or not!:)) that I did not stumble on it during the essay writing phase of my app process. Since I read the entire thing at once, its interesting to note how the mood of the discussion has changed over the past 6 years.[ all relevant to this thread though]. Most of it was downright hilarious. Folks from '08 need to come back and complete their stories ! Seriously -- please tell us what happened .

Earnest request to anyone who is reading this at any time in the future [days/ months/ years or what not]: post and keep the thread alive!! you need threads such as this one to pump in the much needed stress free excitement that the B school app process lacks.

I am an international working in the states . Yes inter racial dating does exist. I have been a part of such an experience and it was legit fun while it lasted. Totally depends on who you end up meeting , IMO a stereotype does not exist when it comes to matters of the heart. People have different personalities and they go to varied lengths to get what they want. A mix of cultures can be oh -so attractive or downright effin awkward depending on how you and your flame look at things in general .

As far as schools i did visit many . I remember having this conversation with a friend of mine last month raving about how smokin some of the women at duke were. Kellogg had more of the cute kind. < yea i dig that too > . My wharton visit coincided with the veterans day so there's not much to talk bout there lol. As far as booth, well let's just say i dont rmbr much...

Anyway i did hit it off (atleast I think so) with this girl during my duke visit. She was a russian living in Canada . An extremely pleasing personality very warm smile.We started talking about our work exp . I work with with oil and gas and she was into finance. Clearly, that conversation wasnt going places. We switched topics to the duke culture which gave me 15 more min. Additionally The fact that we were both internationals wanting an MBA from the US bought me another 10 ;) We ended up sitting in class together and later shared a pizza at the duke cafeteria. I rmbr she looked at me and smiled when the second year student giving us a campus tour talked about fuqua's mixer with the nursing school lol. We were both single and for a general world setting I had enough reasons to make a real move--except that the setting was not a tad bit general . We got out of campus and for it was raining, shared an umbrella (it was hers). The 5 min walk from fuqua's main gate to the parking seemed ten times shorter . And before I could ask for her "business card" , she had already said the goodbyes and unlocked her car door.I got into my chevy rental and took off for the airport.LOL

Welp, guess you are going to Duke. :wink:

Now, as an objective straight male, how are the men at Kellogg?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
EndGame wrote:

Welp, guess you are going to Duke. :wink:

Now, as an objective straight male, how are the men at Kellogg?

Nay.. Kellogg is just too hard to pass on .. Plus I dig Chicago as much as I dig cute :))
Worry not Bml, the boys shan't disappoint you . Kellogg is the whole package for anyone and everyone .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
EndGame, you spent so long time together and you could not find time to ask for her phone number or visit card? It seems you were not able to apply timing strategies you learned while preparing for the gmat into real life situation? :) Nice story, thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
easily the funniest thread I've come across so far on this website!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23