Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:04 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [23]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Send PM
Re: Which of the following is a possible length for side AB of triangle AB [#permalink]
Kudos
The third side of a triangle should be less than the sum of the other 2 sides and greater than the mod(difference of 2 sides)

so, x should lie between mod(y-z)<x<y+z
(9-6)<x<9+6
3<x<15

only value is 13.5
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Which of the following is a possible length for side AB of triangle AB [#permalink]
2 and 3 for me as well .... we need the third side to be between 3 and 15, i.e. 3<x<15

Both 2 and 3 fit this requirement
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
9(3^1/2) = 15.58>15 ...only 3.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
yes, how silly of me :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [0]
Send PM
Rules for a triangle
(1)Third side is always greater than the difference of two other sides
(2) Third side is always less than the sum of two other sides
Going by above rules only 13.5 satisfies the condition.
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Which of the following is a possible length of the side AB of the triangle ABC if AC = 6 and BC = 9?

I. 3
II. 9(sqrt3)
III. 13.5
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619402 [4]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Which of the following is a possible length for side AB of triangle ABC if AC = 6 and BC = 9?

I. 3
II. 9 √3
III. 13.5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III
(E) I, II, and III

The length of any side of a triangle must be larger than the positive difference of the other two sides, but smaller than the sum of the other two sides.

(9 - 6) < AB < (9 + 6)
3 < AB < 15.

Only 13.5 is in this range (\(9\sqrt{3}\approx{9*1.7}=15.3>15\)).

Answer: C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
Send PM
Its still not convincing for me to consider C as the correct answer because no where the question states AB is the third side or the longest side.. If for example we consider the AB = 3 (answer Choice A), The side of the triangle would be 3,6 and 9.. Now 9 becomes the third side and satisfies all the constraints of the third side.. The same is applicable for the rest two choices.. I feel answer in E.. Can someone explain whats the assumption am missing here ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ragunandan,

You have to be very careful with the logic here.

If you have sides of 3, 6 and 9, then you DO NOT actually have a triangle - you have a line segment with a length of 9 "on top of" another line segment with a length of 9. You can use a ruler and physically draw it on a piece of paper if that will help you to visualize the issue.

From a "math" standpoint, if 9 is the longest side, then the other two sides have to SUM to a value that is GREATER than 9 (otherwise you don't have a triangle) and a DIFFERENCE that is LESS than 9.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ragunandan,

You have to be very careful with the logic here.

If you have sides of 3, 6 and 9, then you DO NOT actually have a triangle - you have a line segment with a length of 9 "on top of" another line segment with a length of 9. You can use a ruler and physically draw it on a piece of paper if that will help you to visualize the issue.

From a "math" standpoint, if 9 is the longest side, then the other two sides have to SUM to a value that is GREATER than 9 (otherwise you don't have a triangle) and a DIFFERENCE that is LESS than 9.

Rich

Hi Rich,
Thanks for your nice explanations you provide but I did not understand 'you have a line segment with a length of 9 "on top of" another line segment with a length of 9. You can use a ruler and physically draw it on a piece of paper if that will help you to visualize the issue.' I tried to draw it but it is just incomplete triangle. is that the result you mean?

Also I want to know if you cover those tactics and tricks for geometry in your courses.

Thanks in advance for your help
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16854 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ragunandan wrote:
Its still not convincing for me to consider C as the correct answer because no where the question states AB is the third side or the longest side.. If for example we consider the AB = 3 (answer Choice A), The side of the triangle would be 3,6 and 9.. Now 9 becomes the third side and satisfies all the constraints of the third side.. The same is applicable for the rest two choices.. I feel answer in E.. Can someone explain whats the assumption am missing here ?

Hi ragunandan,

Which of the following is a possible length for side AB of triangle ABC if AC = 6 and BC = 9?

1. It's mentioned in the question statement that AB is the side of triangle ABC. Since we have been given two sides AC and BC, AB has to the third side.

2. Secondly since the question asks the possible length of side AB, we need to consider all possible values of AB i.e. AB can be the shortest side or the longest side of triangle ABC.

3. Lastly AB = 3 is not a legible value of the 3rd side of triangle ABC with the other two sides as AC = 6 and BC = 9. In a triangle the sum of two sides should be greater than the 3rd side. In this case AB + AC = 9 = BC. Similarly AB = 15√3 is also not a legible value. Among the given options AB = 13.5 is the only value for which we can form a triangle with the other two sides being 6 and 9.

Let me know in case you still have any trouble in the explanation :)

Regards
Harsh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mo2men,

You've discovered another variation on 'problem' of having sides of 3, 6 and 9 - if you tried to form a triangle, then the 3 and the 6 would NOT touch, so you would NOT have a triangle.

This all stems from a math rule called the Triangle Inequality Theorem; it's relatively rare on the GMAT (you might not even see it on Test Day; if you do see it, you'll probably see it just once). Thus, the concept is not a big point-gainer on the GMAT, so unless you're already scoring at a really high level in the Quant, you should be focused on other subjects.

To answer your last question: yes, we do cover it (and a couple of variants of it) in the EMPOWERgmat Course.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich, Thanks for the detailed explanation. #Helpful :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Harsh,Thanks for the explanation.. It was simpler and neat.. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13394 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

I. 3
II. 9 √3
III. 13.5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III
(E) I, II, and III

POINT : The effort here is to make the rule of triangle more precise and less time consuming

We know the rule in different forms however we only need to know the rule in just one line

i.e. SUM OF TWO SHORTER SIDES > LONGEST SIDE OF THE TRIANGLE

FOR THE TRIANGLE TO EXIST

Let's apply this in this case

For Finding the range of values of the Third side

For minimum value of the third side AB, We must consider the given BC = 9 as the longest side

Hence AB (Min) + AC > BC

i.e. AB (Min) + 6 > 9

i.e. AB (Min) > 3

For Maximum value of the third side AB, We must consider the given BC = 9 and Ac=6 as the two shorter sides

Hence AC + BC > AB (Max.)

i.e. 6 + 9 > AB (Max.)

i.e. AB (Max.) < 15

i.e. the range of AB becomes

3 < AB < 15

I. 3 NOT ACCEPTABLE
II. 9 √3 - 9x1.73 = 15.3 NOT ACCEPTABLE
III. 13.5 ACCEPTABLE

Answer: Option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [0]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
The third side of a triangle must be less than the sum of the other two sides and greater than their difference (i.e. |y - z| < x < y + z).
In this question:
|BC - AC| < AB < BC + AC
9 - 6 < AB < 9 + 6
3 < AB < 15
Only 13.5 is in this range. 9sqrt3 is approximately equal to 9(1.7) or 15.3.
The correct answer is C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

I. 3
II. 9 √3
III. 13.5

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III
(E) I, II, and III

We can approach this problem with triangle properties in mind; though, first it is important to note that the stem does not state that this triangle is a right triangle so the Pythagorean Theorem cannot be applied:

(I) The sums of the two smaller sides of a triangle must be larger than the hypotenuse or greatest side- "3" fails this test and is therefore not a viable option
(II) If considered 9 √3 as 9(1.7) = 15.3 which is larger than 6 + 9 and thus not a viable option
(III) 13.5 is smaller than the sum of 9 and 6 and therefore a viable option

The correct answer is (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Send PM
Which of the following is a possible length for side AB of triangle AB [#permalink]
As pointed out earlier, the question is based on the triangle inequality theorem:
In that case AB has to be smaller than the sum of the two given sides 9+6=15 and be bigger than their difference 9-6=3
Thus you can write the inequality as follows: 3<AB<15.
If you now test the options only Roman Numeral III fits in that range, so the answer is C.
GMAT Club Bot
Which of the following is a possible length for side AB of triangle AB [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92952 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts