Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 17:58 It is currently 06 May 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [54]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Accepted to LBS with 620 GMAT: The Power of Sincerity & Storytelling [#permalink]
Kudos
Great debrief indeed. Im facing the same probelem with my application. Ive lots of things i wanna tell but the word limit juat wouldnt let me do so.. one ques: since the essays ask to highlight majorly our professional achievements how can we highlight our personality out of profession... i mean like extra-curriculars, hobbies etc
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Accepted to LBS with 620 GMAT: The Power of Sincerity & Storytelling [#permalink]
AA2014 wrote:
Great debrief indeed. Im facing the same probelem with my application. Ive lots of things i wanna tell but the word limit juat wouldnt let me do so.. one ques: since the essays ask to highlight majorly our professional achievements how can we highlight our personality out of profession... i mean like extra-curriculars, hobbies etc

Hi AA2014! I feel you... in terms of word limit, it took me a lot of editing. For me, the process of writing essays went like this:
    Write anything I want within realistic range of the world limit (example, if the word limit is 500 words, limit your word counts to 600-650.
    After finishing your essay, re-read it again and delete unnecessary words and phrases to make the essay more condense
    Combine sentences whenever possible (as long as they're still easy to understand)
    No matter what, tell a sufficient story that you can start and finish within the word limit

When you asked about how can we highlight our personality, did you mean from just one single essay or from multiple essays? If it's from multiple essays, you can separate each subject into each essay. If it comes from a single essay, it's better to tell a focused story (although it does not necessarily mean you have to focus on one single thing).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
What a beautiful genuine and helpful article- direct from the heart, to the point and no advertisement or selling of consultanting services. This is the only article I found that gves tips about approaching essays.

It's a pity that articles like these have been buried in the application story thread and received lesser kudos than it actually deserves.

Thank you so much!!
GMAT Club Bot