Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 22:53 It is currently 22 May 2024, 22:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  46   
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
sacman wrote:
What should be an adequate length of the second essay (why Duke/6 principles)? I know it says 2 pages, so .. around 750 words?

Actually it turns out to be a lot more than 750 words. It's a 10 pt Font and no spacing requirements mentioned, which means you an easily accommodate close to 1200-1300 words.

The way I see it, use the space as much as you can. Don't leave any space blank. Talk as much as possible. Duke gives you a lot of space to talk, so utilise it.

My essay is coming to about 800 words. Does length really matter?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
daredevil123 wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
sacman wrote:
What should be an adequate length of the second essay (why Duke/6 principles)? I know it says 2 pages, so .. around 750 words?

Actually it turns out to be a lot more than 750 words. It's a 10 pt Font and no spacing requirements mentioned, which means you an easily accommodate close to 1200-1300 words.

The way I see it, use the space as much as you can. Don't leave any space blank. Talk as much as possible. Duke gives you a lot of space to talk, so utilise it.

My essay is coming to about 800 words. Does length really matter?

In short, no, it doesn't. However, I am no expert on these things, so I will just talk from what i think is best. I would still make use of the space to elaborate. Having said that, if you feel you have presented your answer and all points to the best of your ability and adding anything else wouldn't be useful, then stick to it. If you think adding more stuff will add value, then rethink, if you can.

Just my two cents, remember to show your essays to peers/friends and get their inputs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GRE 1: Q168 V154
Send PM
Hi All,

I got a question regarding re-applicant essay. On the Fuqua website, it says that "You can access the re-applicant essay in the online application." I have been looking for where to upload the reapplicant essay for a while but did not see the correct place. Anyone can shed some light on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kudos
daredevil123 wrote:
y2klegion wrote:
Conducted my interview in Seoul, Korea, on Oct 7th. Hopefully, there will be good new on Oct 26th. Good luck to all!

Hi y2klegion, can you please provide some insight on the interview process. Thanks!

Sure, the interview was held by an alumnus. He asked the standard questions:
-Walk me through your resume
-Why MBA?
-Why now?
-Why Duke?
-What does Team Fuqua mean to me?
-What does it mean to be a leader in three words?
-Example of team work and conflict resolution

The undertone of the interview revolved around teamwork and Team Fuqua. Afterwards, I was given an opportunity to ask a few questions. Lasted around 50 mins.

Also, my two cents on essay length is keep it short and sweet. If you can make your point in a concise manner, go for it, since the ADCOM is "reading"/ "skimming" them very quickly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Have a question:

In the signature section of the application, I was forced to opt to tick an option that stated that interviews would ONLY be conducted in NY.
Is there no option for international candidates to interview online through Skype or opt for a telephonic interview? Why/Why not??!
Is this Stern M.O?

Obtaining a visit visa to USA, procuring a ticket and taking time off from work JUST to attend an interview (that you could potentially get rejected from) sounds like a very big ask. Any other int'l applicant facing this? :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shuyi433 wrote:
Hi All,

I got a question regarding re-applicant essay. On the Fuqua website, it says that "You can access the re-applicant essay in the online application." I have been looking for where to upload the reapplicant essay for a while but did not see the correct place. Anyone can shed some light on this?

Had the same issue. There should be a question in one of the first few tabs where you indicate that you are a re-applicant. Once you check that and save, the re-applicant tab will show up on the side.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
varunchand wrote:
Have a question:

In the signature section of the application, I was forced to opt to tick an option that stated that interviews would ONLY be conducted in NY.
Is there no option for international candidates to interview online through Skype or opt for a telephonic interview? Why/Why not??!
Is this Stern M.O?

Obtaining a visit visa to USA, procuring a ticket and taking time off from work JUST to attend an interview (that you could potentially get rejected from) sounds like a very big ask. Any other int'l applicant facing this? :|

I don't think that should be happening. I submitted, from India, and indicated that I would like to interview in Mumbai. They let me do that. Please make sure you have checked the appropriate city in the address.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Had my interview today, thought I would post a debrief:

Interview was with an alum in India over Skype (I am in Mumbai, he is in Hyderabad). It was a very conversational interview, as is expected from Fuqua. The guy was very amiable and instantly put me at ease. He asked the following questions:

- Walk me through your profile. We spent a good 7-8 minutes on this, because he wanted to know more about some of the things I have done.
- Tell me about one piece of constructive criticism you have received and how did you work on it. (This question cam up earlier than I thought, so the flow of the interview was a little different)
- Tell me about a good team work experience that you have had.
- What would your current Manager see you as?
- What is your biggest weakness?
- How will Fuqua help you overcome this weakness?
- What are top 2-3 initiatives that you want to be a part of at Fuqua?
- Why MBA? Why now? Why Fuqua? (This one came last, by this time we had talked about everything. So I gave him my top 3 reasons for the first two questions. By then, he said ok I already know the reasons you want to go to Fuqua, so let's not discuss this)

Then couple of questions for him and bye bye.

Hope this is helpful for people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
varunchand wrote:
Have a question:

Is this Stern M.O?

I don't think that should be happening. I submitted, from India, and indicated that I would like to interview in Mumbai. They let me do that. Please make sure you have checked the appropriate city in the address.

My bad... I had multiple tabs open and I guess I typed into the wrong one :oops:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GRE 1: Q168 V154
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
shuyi433 wrote:
Hi All,

Had the same issue. There should be a question in one of the first few tabs where you indicate that you are a re-applicant. Once you check that and save, the re-applicant tab will show up on the side.

Hi anupamgupta2112
I did indicate I am a re-applicant on Program Information tab, but nothing happened...I tried different browsers and also rechecked/saved, but nothing worked...Is there other places that I should indicate I'm a re-applicant to activate the re-applicant tab?

I have requested a technical support. Hope they will get back to me soon :|

Thank you for letting me know the secret tab!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shuyi433 wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
shuyi433 wrote:
Hi All,

Hi anupamgupta2112
I did indicate I am a re-applicant on Program Information tab, but nothing happened...I tried different browsers and also rechecked/saved, but nothing worked...Is there other places that I should indicate I'm a re-applicant to activate the re-applicant tab?

I have requested a technical support. Hope they will get back to me soon :|

Thank you for letting me know the secret tab!

Anytime. I also faced a similar thing, so I called them up. And they said just indicate you are a re-applicant and then save it. And the tab appeared. Not sure what the issue could be with you, maybe you should call them up. They are pretty helpful that way.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Hi All,

I had my interview last Friday in London. No curve balls - a pleasant conversation indeed. The debrief is very similar to above posts. Just to reiterate, know your story well - why MBA and why Duke are critical portion of the interview and so, is the content of your resume - use the projects mention there to support your story and choices. My additional 2 cents will be to control the flow of the conversation and highlight good leadership experience, if you can.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, R1 deadline is around the corner, just a reminder that they take 2 business days to process fee waivers, so you better fill in the required data.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
kvazar wrote:
Hey guys, R1 deadline is around the corner, just a reminder that they take 2 business days to process fee waivers, so you better fill in the required data.

Thanks for the reminder, totally forgot about that! Luckily it's pretty quick, I filled-out the info this morning and got an email a few hours later saying my fee waiver was approved :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
As a pragmatist, think of it this way:

You have an interview. You get to talk about yourself for an hour. Who hates that?

We all have some awareness of self, so go in and talk yourself up. The point of the interview is that the student/interviewer gets to know you as a person. It is very cool that Fuqua has second year students have some level of control over the people that will represent their school in the future. Be yourself, tell your story, brag when you should, and be humble in the face of those that have come before you and been successful (in equal measures).

On your essays: be succinct. Express yourself the same way you would in an interview. Everything is a part of a pie, and nobody is privy to the other pieces except the admissions committee. Remember that your audience will always be the same, and you are always the same person.

This is a hyper-competitive environment. Step back, have some perspective, and think about why you as a whole will support the University as a whole. Remember: Fuqua was founded with a grant by a guy who got no help from anyone else but Duke. If community-oriented spirit isn't your thing, maybe it is not for you.

If your essay is 300 words or 800 words really doesn't matter-- did you express your goals, dreams, history, and desires appropriately? Do you think the advice of strangers will somehow 'fix' what it is you are trying to say about you as a person? Take a deep breath, everyone be themselves, and you will all be fine. If it isn't Fuqua, it is not because you are somehow 'wrong'. Just keep reaching for the dream.

Good luck, all.

TCC.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Is Fuqua the iPhone of B-School? https://poetsandquants.com/2015/10/09/duke-fuqua-the-iphone-of-b-schools/

Looks like Tim Cook's pair is a match made in B-School :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Submitting round 1 tonight!! Nervous!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  46   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts