Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 02:21 It is currently 16 May 2024, 02:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 378 [38]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [15]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42112 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Compared with the 1906 earthquake, the 1989 San Francisco earthquake [#permalink]
Kudos
as we are comapring similar items, compare with shud be used. stuck bet A and B now. someon eexplain?
nikhilsrl wrote:
Compared with the 1906 earthquake, the 1989 San Francisco earthquake was smaller in magnitude but did more structural damage.

a) Compared with
b) In comparison with
c) In comparing
d) As compared to
e) Comparing

OA is provided.

The explanation says that B & D are wordy but are they really that wordy.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3607 [6]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Compared with the 1906 earthquake, the 1989 San Francisco earthquake [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
For similar items..compared with is preferred.

so only A and B stays..

compared with > in comparison with

compared with => verb > noun and adjectives....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Bookmarks
I think 3 choice a,b and c are correct.

because this question is not offcial I will not study more
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2766 [5]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
thangvietnam wrote:
I think 3 choice a,b and c are correct.

because this question is not offcial I will not study more

how can think 3 choices are correct?

Compared with the 1906 earthquake, the 1989 San Francisco earthquake was smaller in magnitude but did more structural damage.

a) Compared with.............best among the answer choices and compares both the earthquakes.
b) In comparison with............wordier compared to choice A
c) In comparing...................Who is comparing here and the phrase In comparing X, Y is smaller does not make sense and this is not a proper way of comparison. One quake is smaller in comparing with another quake is completely wrong.
whatever happened while comparing X should be compared to the action that happened during comparing Y as well.
or X should be compared with Y(intended one here.)

d) As compared to.................as is used to indicate phrases or actions and is incorrect here.
e) Comparing...................Who is comparing here definitely not earthquake

I hope this helps :)
Own Kudos [?]: 1975 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos

a) Compared with - Correct
b) In comparison with - wordier than A
c) In comparing - we need "with" after 1906 earthquake; "in" is not required
d) As compared to - "As" requires a clause when used as a comparison marker
e) Comparing - we need "with" after 1906 earthquake

Can't really explain - in technical terms - as to why A is preferred over B.
Awaiting explanation by GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Send PM
Bookmarks
Both GmatNinja and Ron Purewal have mentioned time and again that ideally there is no difference between “compared to” and “compared with” and the usage is driven by the meaning in the sentence.

In C and E, comparing is used in the form of verb+ing modifier which modifies the whole clause coming after the comma.

Option B : use of in is not required

Option D : As is neither functioning here as conjunction or as preposition.

Option A is the most concise form
Using past participle form of compare —> compared with

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Is this question from a reliable source? It changes everything I've known about compared to vs. comparison with
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Experts pl enlighten :

GMATNinja, aragonn, hazelnut, generis
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
Send PM
can anyone please a throw a light on usage of compared to versus compared with
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5657 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
“Compared with” - compare two things,

For example, when I compare my computer with my brain, I find my brain often slower to boot up (especially when it’s low on caffeine).

“compared to” – to liken something to something that is usually not comparable to the thing being likened.

For example, the computer is often compared to a human brain because of the way both process information. In this use, compare is synonymous with liken.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5657 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Harshgmat - I am not sure what kind of light you want, Though sun is good source. If its about this question. Open up about your understanding. It will help us understand Your side and help you in right way. But I am much concerned about your learning and it will come if you know and can ask right kind of question. This will let you know what is the gap in your understanding and you can improve by filling that gap. Otherwise solve every question on this forum. it will not help.
Learn to know your gaps my friend. If nothing, write here what you know. Someone will defiantly guide you.
Hope this will bring some depth in your learning.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35552 [4]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Compared with the 1906 earthquake, the 1989 San Francisco earthquake [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harshgmat wrote:
Experts pl enlighten :

GMATNinja, aragonn, hazelnut, generis

Harshgmat , gmatdordie , and martinod20
This question is not official.
The source of the question is Knewton- and it is at least 14 years old.

In the course of extensive research that I did a few weeks ago, I found that this topic question is from 2005.

The "compare to/with" issue crops up repeatedly and understandably concerns GMAT aspirants.

daagh , upthread, is correct.

The GMAT does not test compare to and compare with.

See GMATNinja , for example, in this post, here.

Another expert, Payal from egmat , wrote:
Quote:
I have not found any question in OG12 that tests this usage. In fact there are two questions in OG12 that use the word "compared".
1: In Q123, "compared to" is used in 3 choices (all incorrect for some other reasons).
2: In Q131, one choice uses "compared to" and the other uses "compared with." Both options are incorrect.
Neither explanation mentions any distinction.

Thus as other posters have mentioned above, as of now, GMAC does not test the difference between "compared to" and "compared with".

Thanks,

Payal

HERE.

Manhattan Prep GMAT Sentence Correction:
Quote:
"Note: the GMAT ignores the traditional distinction between COMPARED TO [] and COMPARED WITH []."

Page 223, 6th edition (2014).

RonPurewal :
Quote:
"Compared to" and "compared with" are completely interchangeable [on the GMAT].
That post is from 2014.
You can find that direct quote here.

In the excellent Magoosh Complete Guide to GMAT Idioms that can be downloaded from a link HERE , idiomatic usage of compare is addressed this way:
Quote:
compare A to B
compare to
compared to (or compared with)
in contrast to A, B
Here are some exemplary sentences to demonstrate proper usage.

17) Compared to/with California, New Jersey has a relatively small coast.
18) Compared to/with other writers of the early 20th century, James Joyce may seem to have
produced a limited output, if one judges purely by number of books.

In the downloaded pdf file, that material comes from page 12 of 101 pages.

Finally, EducationAisle advises us to steer clear of trying to use the distinction when solving SCs. His post is here.

The one and only question I have seen that seems to test the issue is THIRTY years old.

In every OG from OG 13 (that version is the earliest I possess) to OG 2019 , the Verbal Reviews, and every official GMAT Prep question I could find—
(I ran this search a month ago, on October 22, because I saw a post that asserted what I see here)—
not one question tests that difference.

I don't have my research in front of me but I can confirm that egmat 's assertion holds for
EVERY official volume of questions published since OG 13 and for every other official question I could find.
I think I found three questions in which the phrases were used in different answer choices.

There was absolutely no mention of the distinction in the OEs.
The correct answer had nothing to do with
the distinction.
The correct answer could not have been found by knowing the distinction.

For those who assert that the distinction is still tested, please produce an example of an official question
from the last 10 years that tests the distinction.

Maybe then there will be a basis for this assertion.

At that point, GMATNinja , RonPurewal egmat
and the authors Manhattan Prep Sentence Correction Guide
would probably have to consider what to do or to say about their statements.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Hi aragonn

I have gone through the earlier discussions above and one thing is very clear that distinction between "compared to" and "compared with" is not going to be a testing point on GMAT.

"Both GmatNinja and Ron Purewal have mentioned time and again that ideally there is no difference between “compared to” and “compared with” and the usage is driven by the meaning in the sentence. "

But the point where I am not getting light :cry: is how to eliminate option D?

I understand shortcuts don't lead to Good GMAT score but there are times when one is too lazy....You just caught me off the guard at one such moment....
Thanks for your reproval.

Looking forward to detailed analysis as is usually done by GMATNinja for question of the day posts or generis
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1018 [2]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Compared with the 1906 earthquake, the 1989 San Francisco earthquake [#permalink]
Kudos
martinod20 wrote:
Is this question from a reliable source? It changes everything I've known about compared to vs. comparison with
Thanks

martinod20 i ve read your comment like this: "Is this question from a reliable source? It changes everything I've known." :lol: i didnt read the rest part :grin:

may be this will help you as well as an additional source of info: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 30295.html

:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
sandeepb17 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 165: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

a) Compared with
b) In comparison with
c) In comparing
d) As compared to
e) Comparing

IMO A is correct. Battle is between A and D. When describing the similarities between unlike things, the idiom "compare to" is used.When describing the differences between like things, the idiom "compare with" is used.

Here 1906 earthquake and 1989 earthquake are similar things.

Aren't these choices redundant anyhow?
"Compared to/with X, Y is SMALLER... you could just say X is SMALLER than Y; we already know it's a comparison. GMATNinja
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts