Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: IESE '16
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [2]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: GMAT Scores [#permalink]
i , im consistently gettibg 670 plus in Manhattan gmat .My scores are , mgmat -3 (670) , mgmat4 - (740) , mgmat 5 - (700) and today gave mgmat 6 -(730) .my quants is in the range of 50-51 with lowest of 47 . the exam is being given at home and with pauses .Need guidance as to what i should do to improve and wat shud be my timing strategy .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
So confusing. I took GMATPrep a week ago and got 710 (92%), Q50(90%), V35 (74%). These percentiles and total score do not coincident with those in bb 's posts. My friend from MBA consulting company gave me fresh table, but I found in it that the result should be Q50(88%), V35(76%) with total 690. At the same I got Q49V34 in my previous try (MH CAT) with total 680. I scheduled my exam at October, 15 and now I am very confused about my real level.. Need your help, guys! The goal is 720+...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Can someone provide me breakup of Verbal Section i.e wt %age of verbal section covers CR, RC, SC?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
idkksh wrote:
So confusing. I took GMATPrep a week ago and got 710 (92%), Q50(90%), V35 (74%). These percentiles and total score do not coincident with those in bb 's posts. My friend from MBA consulting company gave me fresh table, but I found in it that the result should be Q50(88%), V35(76%) with total 690. At the same I got Q49V34 in my previous try (MH CAT) with total 680. I scheduled my exam at October, 15 and now I am very confused about my real level.. Need your help, guys! The goal is 720+...
There is no way to calculate the total from the scaled scores (though you can get a range), because the sectional scaled scores that are shown are not the ones used to calculate the total score. What your GMATPrep shows is fine. Just keep in mind that the score you got is again an estimate. It means that you are likely to get a good score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
idkksh wrote:
There is no way to calculate the total from the scaled scores (though you can get a range), because the sectional scaled scores that are shown are not the ones used to calculate the total score. What your GMATPrep shows is fine. Just keep in mind that the score you got is again an estimate. It means that you are likely to get a good score.

AjiteshArun, you were right! I got 720 (Q51V36), so I probably did my best for this time. I hope that such score will be sufficient for my goals!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
idkksh wrote:
I got 720 (Q51V36), so I probably did my best for this time. I hope that such score will be sufficient for my goals!
That's an amazing score and it's going to put you in a great position. Just keep working on all the other things that schools want :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Send PM
Hi bb, Bunuel, and any other GMAT experts who care to weigh in,

I'd like to consult your expertise. I took a first crack at the GMAT in early January and got a 710 (Q44, V42). Stated percentiles were quant 57 and verbal 96, overall percentile 91. I made a stupid decision to buy the not-so-in-depth in-depth score report which said that my percentile rankings were quant 58, verbal 96, and overall 92. This was confusing but I didn't contact the GMAT folks because I am planning on rewriting, and hoping to get a higher score this time around.

I took an official practice test today, and got a 710 (Q46, V42), with percentiles quant 71, verbal 96, and overall 92. Unfortunately 3 of my 7 verbal errors were in the first 5 questions, argh. Anyway, I had taken this same practice test in early December and got a couple of the same questions but luckily couldn't remember for the life of me what the answers were or how I approached the questions last time. In December my score was 710 (Q45, V42) with percentiles quant 68, verbal 96, and overall 92.

I am wondering, why did I get 710 on both practice tests if my quant score was higher? According to the table in this topic, I should have scored 720 today. I'm also wondering - why did I get 91 percentile on the actual test in January but the in-depth analysis said 92 percentile? In addition, the quant percentiles table posted here says 46 is 64 percentile?? :shock:

I'd really appreciate your help on this. I'm rewriting Friday next week, and I absolutely need my quant to be over 70th percentile - my school of choice would require it. And a 720 would be better than a 710, like 92 percentile would be better than 91. :)

Cheers!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72912 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anonamy wrote:
Hi bb, Bunuel, and any other GMAT experts who care to weigh in,

I'd like to consult your expertise. I took a first crack at the GMAT in early January and got a 710 (Q44, V42). Stated percentiles were quant 57 and verbal 96, overall percentile 91. I made a stupid decision to buy the not-so-in-depth in-depth score report which said that my percentile rankings were quant 58, verbal 96, and overall 92. This was confusing but I didn't contact the GMAT folks because I am planning on rewriting, and hoping to get a higher score this time around.

I took an official practice test today, and got a 710 (Q46, V42), with percentiles quant 71, verbal 96, and overall 92. Unfortunately 3 of my 7 verbal errors were in the first 5 questions, argh. Anyway, I had taken this same practice test in early December and got a couple of the same questions but luckily couldn't remember for the life of me what the answers were or how I approached the questions last time. In December my score was 710 (Q45, V42) with percentiles quant 68, verbal 96, and overall 92.

I am wondering, why did I get 710 on both practice tests if my quant score was higher? According to the table in this topic, I should have scored 720 today. I'm also wondering - why did I get 91 percentile on the actual test in January but the in-depth analysis said 92 percentile? In addition, the quant percentiles table posted here says 46 is 64 percentile?? :shock:

I'd really appreciate your help on this. I'm rewriting Friday next week, and I absolutely need my quant to be over 70th percentile - my school of choice would require it. And a 720 would be better than a 710, like 92 percentile would be better than 91. :)

Cheers!

Hi. It is fairly complicated and simple at the same time.
The section scores (Q and V) are actually independent of the final score, you are almost graded twice - the first time to get a section score and then the second time to get teh overall and that is why it is possible to have different section scores and the same overall or vice versa.

As to the percentiles and 71 vs. 64 - the GMAT prep software probably has dated information from 2012 when Q46 was a 71st percentile. Now it is 64th, as mid-quant percentiles have been eroded. Here is a listing from 2012:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bb - thank you for the information, that's both interesting and terrible for me, haha. Looks like I gots a lotsa quant homework to do over the next 1.5 weeks.

I see in the table that a 710 is 92 percentile, and my January score report says that 710 is 91 percentile - do you think this is worth a phone call to the GMAT folks on this or have the percentiles changed again?

Thanks again!

- Should have added, my in-depth score report says that my January score of 710 was 92 percentile, although the actual score report says 91.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anonamy wrote:
I see in the table that a 710 is 92 percentile, and my January score report says that 710 is 91 percentile - do you think this is worth a phone call to the GMAT folks on this or have the percentiles changed again?
The percentiles update automatically, and your score report does show the correct percentile against the 710. The table you're looking at in the post above yours is from 2012, and is slightly out of date. About the scoring: it is just not possible to get the exact total score (always) from the sectional scores.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Anonamy wrote:
The percentiles update automatically, and your score report does show the correct percentile against the 710. The table you're looking at in the post above yours is from 2012, and is slightly out of date. About the scoring: it is just not possible to get the exact total score (always) from the sectional scores.

Hi AjiteshArun, are you referring to my score report versus my in-depth score report? My score report in January (right after completing the test) is 91 percentile overall with 57 percentile for quant, but a week ago I ordered my "enhanced" score report from GMAC https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmat-enhanced-score-report.aspx and it says 92 percentile overall and 58 quant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anonamy wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun, are you referring to my score report versus my in-depth score report? My score report in January (right after completing the test) is 91 percentile overall with 57 percentile for quant, but a week ago I ordered my "enhanced" score report from GMAC https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmat-enhanced-score-report.aspx and it says 92 percentile overall and 58 quant.
My response was more for the whole "do you think this is worth a phone call to the GMAT folks on this" thing. It probably isn't, because your official score report will always have the latest percentile data. The ESR percentiles are not relevant from an admissions perspective. I'd just drop them an email asking them to look into this, but it's too much to hope that they'll raise that 91 to a 92 in the official score report :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb AjiteshArun

Hmmm that was weird. Was just on the GMAC site and was presented with a new webpage where the percentiles are... This web page had tabs for each section of the GMAT (ie. you click on Verbal tab to see the verbal percentiles table). The percentiles had changed, 710 is now 92 and 44 is now 58. I then navigated away from the webpage but returned to it a moment later and it had reverted back to the current percentiles list where all percentile charts are on one page... Hm.

Anyway I think GMAC is in the process of updating the percentiles right now, a webmaster is probably making changes.

AjiteshArun a 710 must have been 91 in January but 92 now... I guess I got that end of the stick, haha.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,
Just saw this on mba site.
Verbal and Quantitative scores range from 0 to 60; scores below 9 and above 44 for the Verbal section and below 7 and above 50 for the Quantitative section are rare.
Is the scoring range changed from 0-51 to 0-60?
Does this change mean anything to test takers?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anonamy wrote:
Hmmm that was weird. Was just on the GMAC site and was presented with a new webpage where the percentiles are... This web page had tabs for each section of the GMAT (ie. you click on Verbal tab to see the verbal percentiles table). The percentiles had changed, 710 is now 92 and 44 is now 58. I then navigated away from the webpage but returned to it a moment later and it had reverted back to the current percentiles list where all percentile charts are on one page... Hm.
That's interesting. I normally look at the percentiles on this page.

You have a very strong score, and whatever the mba.com website people are doing can't change that :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
elusive wrote:
Is the scoring range changed from 0-51 to 0-60?
No. The GMAC in fact has asked test prep companies not to entertain applications (for instructor positions) from anyone claiming to have a 52 on either quant or verbal. And not because they didn't want the highest scorers helping others :)

If anything changes, you can be sure that the GMAC will send out adequate communication, and that the process will take quite some time (it won't be sudden). Standardized tests have to ensure that there is little to no confusion as regards scoring among either schools or test takers. For example, we were informed about the pilot program for switching the order of sections 2-3 years back (not the exact timelines, but the general direction).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Anonamy wrote:
That's interesting. I normally look at the percentiles on this page.

You have a very strong score, and whatever the mba.com website people are doing can't change that :)

What I was saying was that earlier today, on that same url / webpage you posted, a new set of percentile tables were posted along with a different format, then 5 minutes later the webpage had reverted back to what you are seeing now. Anyway fingers crossed. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11