GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 22:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Scores

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2015
Posts: 3
Location: United States (NJ)
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 09:53
AjiteshArun wrote:
elusive wrote:
Is the scoring range changed from 0-51 to 0-60?
No. The GMAC in fact has asked test prep companies not to entertain applications (for instructor positions) from anyone claiming to have a 52 on either quant or verbal. And not because they didn't want the highest scorers helping others :)

If anything changes, you can be sure that the GMAC will send out adequate communication, and that the process will take quite some time (it won't be sudden). Standardized tests have to ensure that there is little to no confusion as regards scoring among either schools or test takers. For example, we were informed about the pilot program for switching the order of sections 2-3 years back (not the exact timelines, but the general direction).


Are you trying to intend that the text on mbadotcom is incorrect?
Even the new version GMATPrep is giving scores in range of 0-60 for both Quant and Verbal.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1696
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2016, 10:34
elusive wrote:
Are you trying to intend that the text on mbadotcom is incorrect?
Funnily enough, the GMAC people said they've been trying to get that changed on mba.com, especially the 51-60 that is there in the quant percentile table. They also said that they have no plans to open the scoring scale up beyond 51 (although theoretically the possibility exists).

Keep an eye on mba.com if you want, but it's extremely unlikely that they've changed the scale.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 56
Schools: Rotman '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 19:36
I'm trying to figure out what percentiles Q48 V42 and Q48 V41 would equate to today, overall and by section. I got these scores on GMATprep practice tests recently but have heard that the GMATprep scoring algorithm is from 2012.

Does anyone have any idea? Or is it too difficult to discern overall score - due to separate overall grading? Many thanks
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17332
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 20:03
1
Anonamy wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what percentiles Q48 V42 and Q48 V41 would equate to today, overall and by section. I got these scores on GMATprep practice tests recently but have heard that the GMATprep scoring algorithm is from 2012.

Does anyone have any idea? Many thanks


Easy... overall your score is the same as you saw on the GMAT prep - that score stays the same. You don't need to bother with sectional scores if you got a total score....
As to the percentiles, you can look em up in the table on the first page.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1696
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 20:47
elusive wrote:
Are you trying to intend that the text on mbadotcom is incorrect?
Update: the GMAC has again confirmed to us that the scale remains the same. We've requested them to update the information on mba.com.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 23:53
Hello,

I am confused about the scale score. How is that measured? Is it the number of questions answered correctly times the point(s) of each question answered correct ?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1696
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 02:39
rahims wrote:
I am confused about the scale score. How is that measured? Is it the number of questions answered correctly times the point(s) of each question answered correct ?
The scaled score is an approximate measure of your ability level (as measured by the GMAT). The GMAT assigns a percentile to each scaled score on the basis of how common that score was in the 3 year (rolling) period before the current testing year.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2016, 22:06
AjiteshArun wrote:
rahims wrote:
I am confused about the scale score. How is that measured? Is it the number of questions answered correctly times the point(s) of each question answered correct ?
The scaled score is an approximate measure of your ability level (as measured by the GMAT). The GMAT assigns a percentile to each scaled score on the basis of how common that score was in the 3 year (rolling) period before the current testing year.


Thank you Ajitesh,

But still i am not getting the point of scaled score? like is it the total marks obtained or it is the total number of questions got right ? how it is created or calculated ?
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 338
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 09:32
rahims wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
rahims wrote:
I am confused about the scale score. How is that measured? Is it the number of questions answered correctly times the point(s) of each question answered correct ?
The scaled score is an approximate measure of your ability level (as measured by the GMAT). The GMAT assigns a percentile to each scaled score on the basis of how common that score was in the 3 year (rolling) period before the current testing year.


Thank you Ajitesh,

But still i am not getting the point of scaled score? like is it the total marks obtained or it is the total number of questions got right ? how it is created or calculated ?


It's an equated score to make up for the difference in overall difficulty levels of the questions each test taker is given.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 338
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 09:41
1
Needs an update on cancellation policy...

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17332
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 23:27
GMAC has released their annual update to the GMAT percentiles.
Attached is the new distribution.

It is not much different from last year's and neither are the trends:

There is some shift in mid-600 overall score percentiles by a point (e.g. 630 used to be 70th percentile and now it is 69th).

The Quant has inflated the most. Now Q49 is 77th percentile vs 78th in 2015 and Q48 is 71st vs 73rd in 2015.

Verbal test-taking volume has had some very minor impacts and caused a deflation (e.g. V36 is now 81st percentile instead of 80th in 2015).

As usual, nothing we can really do and no changes or implication to the strategy/etc. At GMAT Club, we will be updating the percentiles to match the new values, but this has no impact on the overall GMAT score, just some personal pride and standing.
Attachments

Overall_GMAT_Score_Percentiles-2016.png
Overall_GMAT_Score_Percentiles-2016.png [ 80.3 KiB | Viewed 2914 times ]


_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Location: India
Akhilesh: Das
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 09:47
Hi,

I see the attachment is from 2012. Does the matrix change over time? I tried to google and found that V51 was 97 percentile. Also, I got a V24 in my previous GMAT attempt and my score report said 37 percentile but as per this sheet it should have been lower than 36 percentile.

Can you please clarify?
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17332
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 09:49
1
akhileshdas wrote:
Hi,

I see the attachment is from 2012. Does the matrix change over time? I tried to google and found that V51 was 97 percentile. Also, I got a V24 in my previous GMAT attempt and my score report said 37 percentile but as per this sheet it should have been lower than 36 percentile.

Can you please clarify?


No, it does not. The matrix is approximation based on the large history/feedback/research of student scores.
The percentiles may change but they have nothing to do with the hard V and Q scores.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Oct 2014
Posts: 7
GPA: 3.85
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 12:40
So I got a 740 (Q48, V45) this morning and every chart I can find has that combination listed as a 750. In fact, in most of them it looks like with a Q47, V45 I would have gotten a 750 as well.

Why does my scoring appear to be lower?

Apologies if I'm missing something. It was my understanding that although percentile rankings may change, the total score based on your subsection scores remains the same.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17332
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 12:43
Tadilliner wrote:
So I got a 740 (Q48, V45) this morning and every chart I can find has that combination listed as a 750. In fact, in most of them it looks like with a Q47, V45 I would have gotten a 750 as well.

Why does my scoring appear to be lower?

Apologies if I'm missing something. It was my understanding that although percentile rankings may change, the total score based on your subsection scores remains the same.



First - congratulations!
Second, there is an explanation - the tables are not exactly precise, and that is because the final score (e.g. 740) is not a byproduct of the scaled scores (47, 45) but rather the total and the scaled scores are arrived to using separate algorithms, and since the GMAT score is reported in increments of 10's there is an inconsistency.

Hope this helps and puts your mind at ease. Good Luck on a great score and hope you can focus on your applications now!
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Oct 2014
Posts: 7
GPA: 3.85
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 12:46
bb wrote:
Tadilliner wrote:
So I got a 740 (Q48, V45) this morning and every chart I can find has that combination listed as a 750. In fact, in most of them it looks like with a Q47, V45 I would have gotten a 750 as well.

Why does my scoring appear to be lower?

Apologies if I'm missing something. It was my understanding that although percentile rankings may change, the total score based on your subsection scores remains the same.



First - congratulations!
Second, there is an explanation - the tables are not exactly precise, and that is because the final score (e.g. 740) is not a byproduct of the scaled scores (47, 45) but rather the total and the scaled scores are arrived to using separate algorithms, and since the GMAT score is reported in increments of 10's there is an inconsistency.

Hope this helps and puts your mind at ease. Good Luck on a great score and hope you can focus on your applications now!


Ah, okay. That makes sense (sort of)! A 750 would inflate my ego a bit but I just wanted to make sure everything was correct. Thank you for the explanation and well wishes!
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17332
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2016, 12:49
Yes, it sure would - big round numbers appeal to us MBA Types, or otherwise, why is the scoring in multiples of 10 instead of simply from 20 to 80?
Most people who walk out of the test center feel they could have done better, including those who may be fully satisfied and surprised with their score. Similar to compensation, it seems there is never a score that is too high. Myself included - I have considered for a few hours after the test pros and cons of retaking (back then it was a month-long wait).

However, congratulations - you have a great and a unique score with V45 - that's rare.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jun 2015
Posts: 37
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 12:26
Is there a GRE to GMAT converter or vice versa with splits?
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1789
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 14:41
so, if I got 1 question right, for example, a 600-700 question, then the next question will turn into 700+ question?
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17332
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Scores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 14:52
1
chesstitans wrote:
so, if I got 1 question right, for example, a 600-700 question, then the next question will turn into 700+ question?


Yes, though depending on your position within the test (first vs 30th question), difficulty change speed varies. For example, in the first 5-10 questions, the difficulty changes quite a bit, so while you may have been served Q33 or V27 question first, if you get it right, the second may be Q40 and V32 and if you still get it right, then it goes to Q45 and V35 but in my experience it takes a bit longer for difficulty to get to "700-level" - more like by question 12 is when it gets really tough/hard.

Keep in mind that on the real GMAT you will have experimental questions which may be out of difficulty order or you may be served with lower difficulty in the mid-section of the GMAT.

Good Luck!
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: GMAT Scores &nbs [#permalink] 09 May 2017, 14:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 190 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Scores

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.