Last visit was: 29 May 2024, 00:52 It is currently 29 May 2024, 00:52
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: buying a nice watch for b-school [#permalink]
In terms of an understated professional watch, I would suggest a Zenith. They used to provide the movements for Rolex before they went inhouse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Send PM
Nobody really cares, at least at INSEAD. A lot of the consultants and bankers will wear Rolexes, but most will not. I wore a Panerai PAM321 most days. It's overkill, but very much part of my personal brand, which I monitored pretty closely.

You'll be just as well with your iPhone as a watch, but if you want to communicate something about your level of professionalism and success, it wouldn't hurt to get a TAG Carrera as some others have mentioned. It speaks to your taste (and was my first luxury watch).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I used my acceptance into an MBA program as an excuse to pull the trigger on my first “real” watch. I also agree with the post above in that a watch communicates something to others.

I got a TH Carrera because it’s very, very versatile. It has a sporting heritage so I can dress it down, but it’s formal looking enough to wear with a suit. I think TH, Zenith (as posted above), IWC…are all great watches if looking to get something for an MBA. Also, companies like Stowa make beautiful mechanical watches (all ETA movements) for around $1,000 USD. I find, in an age where everything is electronic (phone, car keys, my coffee maker!!!), that it’s fun to have something mechanical strapped to my wrist, it reminds me of a bygone era.

I’m surprised by the above post because I used to work with a lot Europeans and I know they take mechanical watches very seriously (esp. if from a country bordering Switzerland), as do Asians, and they all had nice watches regardless of level.

All that being said, I think there are a million other things to worry about concerning your MBA before “what watch to get” even crosses your mind…I wouldn’t sweat it.

Haha, I don’t know if any of that helped, but I like watches so just had to give my 2 cents. Cheers!
Attachments

watch.jpg
watch.jpg [ 75.66 KiB | Viewed 7035 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GRE 1: Q168 V158
GPA: 2.47
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Clearly if you are going to buy a watch for your MBA the only acceptable brands are Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, A. Lange Sohne, Patek Philippe, or IWC. Anything less would just be uncivilized... Well maybe an Audemars Piguet if you are in a more nautical mood.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
How do you guys feel about Tissot?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
dave785 wrote:
How do you guys feel about Tissot?

I say wear whatever you like and whatever makes you feel good/confidant! If it puts a bounce in your step on interview day and looks good with your suit than strap that baby to your wrist!!

fergsonfire wrote:
Clearly if you are going to buy a watch for your MBA the only acceptable brands are Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, A. Lange Sohne, Patek Philippe, or IWC. Anything less would just be uncivilized... Well maybe an Audemars Piguet if you are in a more nautical mood.

Haha, nothing screams "I'm hungry!" to a recruiter, or someone you're interviewing with, like wearing a watch with a retail value equal to that of a brand new BMW!

...would love an ALS Saxonia Annual Calendar though. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GRE 1: Q168 V158
GPA: 2.47
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I like your style, although I think my dream watch is an ALS 1815 Rattrapante Perpetual Calendar in gold. Such a beautiful watch... I think I could settle for an IWC Portofino red gold w/ white face. Simple yet stylish... Until I am filthy rich and an MBA grad I think I will have to settle for the vintage Timex on my wrist and the Breitling I saved for years ago.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Send PM
I know i'm bumping a super old thread but thought i'd just mention:

I'm a big WIS so i'll be going into Bschool with my no date Sub and logines for more formal occasions. Is it bad that I cant wait until I graduate from a school I havent started at yet to seek and obtain my next watch?! My grail would be the patek nautilus 5712...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
Send PM
Hi Guys, it's a nice discussion to read !

I am joining MBA in Canada this summer. I bought a Moto 360 2nd gen smartwatch for myself :)
I don think its a necessity at all, but I thought the watch faces are customizable to suit formal as well as informal attires. So, can be used while interviews and party both.
Also, it would help me with not checking my phone often during the classes :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.22
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
amitjathar wrote:
Hi Guys, it's a nice discussion to read !

I am joining MBA in Canada this summer. I bought a Moto 360 2nd gen smartwatch for myself :)
I don think its a necessity at all, but I thought the watch faces are customizable to suit formal as well as informal attires. So, can be used while interviews and party both.
Also, it would help me with not checking my phone often during the classes :)

I think this thread takes on new life with smart watches. You can't go with something that just tells time. I think I will hop on the Apple Watch train this fall when I start. I don't want to miss anything and having reminders on your wrist sounds good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I would really love to hear from those guys in the very start of the topic... What kind of watches have you guys bought since graduation ? :)

Pretty sure some of you who were saying: "I don't care much about watches" changed the opinion :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Fun read!
I wouldn't buy a watch to impress your classmate but buy a watch to commemorate your success in going to business school! Life events are the perfect time to buy a watch!
I have an apple watch gen5, a 16234 and a 118238
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3