Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 16:50 It is currently 14 May 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623786 [15]
Given Kudos: 81864
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Affiliations: Affiliations
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [5]
Given Kudos: 777
My field: My Value
GMAT 1: 800 Q60 V60
GRE 1: Q167 V168
GPA: 4
WE:AdCom Officer (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623786 [0]
Given Kudos: 81864
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
V01-26, V01-27, V01-28 [#permalink]
Kudos
Question V01-26 :

The option E is striked out saying that "The passage does not state that recipients of traditional loans must own a business."

However, The Passage does say that "traditional lending tenders large sums to lendees who have strong credit histories and steady employment"

Individuals don't employ . Businesses employ. SO it is reasonable to infer that traditional lending is given to Businesses.

Option B says "Traditional lending qualifies candidates who are already financially independent"..... The passage just says that "Traditional lending is given to lendees with strong credit histories " ... Having strong credit history is not same as being financially independent. May be those lendees depend on Investments from other sources on which they depend. Financial Independence is very much different from having strong credit history.

SO, Just as option E is striked out saying that "The passage does not state that recipients of traditional loans must own a business."
Option B can also be striked out saying that, "The passage does not state that lendees of traditional loans are Financially Independent."

But overall, Choice E definitely makes more sense than B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: V01-26, V01-27, V01-28 [#permalink]
V01-28
"The author suggests that the rise of the “other forms of administration” mentioned in the bolded text was due primarily to"

There is no bold text in the passage in the CAT-verbal, Bunuel: maybe can you take a look?

I am still not quite persuade by the explanation of this question: where on the question stem does it mention about bank's opinion not villager's response?

I mean: villager felt that meeting interfered with their business --> no use --> not joining --> default loan --> ineffective method --> need other forms

So does the real reason should come from:

(d) the perception that weekly progress meetings were interfering in the businesses of villagers.

right?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15287 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Linhbiz wrote:
V01-28
"The author suggests that the rise of the “other forms of administration” mentioned in the bolded text was due primarily to"

There is no bold text in the passage in the CAT-verbal, Bunuel: maybe can you take a look?

I am still not quite persuade by the explanation of this question: where on the question stem does it mention about bank's opinion not villager's response?

I mean: villager felt that meeting interfered with their business --> no use --> not joining --> default loan --> ineffective method --> need other forms

(d) the perception that weekly progress meetings were interfering in the businesses of villagers.

right?

Option D, "The perception that weekly progress meetings were interfering in the businesses of villagers", led to a REVISION of the SAME approach ("most banks quickly revised this approach"), not to "OTHER forms of approach".

The last sentence states that "The trust vacuum (disappointment) created when they could not offer a return to investors ( repayment of loans) led many banks to seek OTHER forms of administration." Hence B is better than D.

The wording in the test section has been modified to clearly refer to the "last two sentences" of the passage.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Linhbiz wrote:
V01-28

right?

Option D, "The perception that weekly progress meetings were interfering in the businesses of villagers", led to a REVISION of the SAME approach ("most banks quickly revised this approach"), not to "OTHER forms of approach".

The last sentence states that "The trust vacuum (disappointment) created when they could not offer a return to investors ( repayment of loans) led many banks to seek OTHER forms of administration." Hence B is better than D.

The wording in the test section has been modified to clearly refer to the "last two sentences" of the passage.

Thanks sayantanc2k for the explanation, it's clear now :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.72
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
For the first question, I chose A over B because if you are employed, you are not financially independent. You are financially independent when you do not have to work and your assets generate enough income to cover your expenses.

Also, "Rigorous evaluation process" - The explanation says the process is not detailed...but it is. It states you receive a credit and steady employment check. Further, a clearly defined business plan is still only an idea if it has not been tested in the market.

How can I distinguish between these nuances on the exam? I'm not trying to sound salty, I am just a little confused as to how I improve on verbal when these distinctions are a recurring theme in my incorrect questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SemperLiberi : very interesting point! I also need to read your explanation carefully in order to offer some of my thoughts as below:
Quote:
For the first question, I chose A over B because if you are employed, you are not financially independent. - not necessary true, may be OR may be not (depends on your second sentence, one may be employed and still generate enough income to cover expenses)

You are financially independent when you do not have to work and your assets generate enough income to cover your expenses. - absolutely correct!

Also, "Rigorous evaluation process" - The explanation says the process is not detailed...but it is. It states you receive a credit and steady employment check. Further, a clearly defined business plan is still only an idea if it has not been tested in the market. - also true :)

How can I distinguish between these nuances on the exam? I'm not trying to sound salty, I am just a little confused as to how I improve on verbal when these distinctions are a recurring theme in my incorrect questions.

After reading your post, I think you have heavy point to weight under option A vs. B as well. It's quite not clear which one is absolute win in this situation, for me it's a matter of over-all impression: since the financial independent concept that we know of today is quite new (as you defined) - the traditional way is still "you have a good job, you're ok with finance" - hence, the matter is in viewing the core different between the 2 approaches? Which is the main idea behind the micro lending? Is it the vigorous process? - probably not, because the term itself is very ambiguous - how vigorous is considered vigorous enough? Different banks will have different process so it's not a definite criterion to judge on.

Therefore, from my point of view the main contrast between 2 approaches (B) hits the target a little bit more closer than (A)

P/s: I faced with several nuances like this during my practice as well, so one of my method is to read the whole paragraph, try to see the author's tone and feel its general spirit, it's not an easy task to read other people's mind - but I can see my improvement over practices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How someone with employment status (ie relaying on a salary) is financially independent? How can having a good credit rating means being financially independent? For instance, Apple who has a great credit rating, depends on the sale of Phones to pay the debt. Therefore, it is not financially independent. The answer is not clear enough...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15287 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
danimombs wrote:
How someone with employment status (ie relaying on a salary) is financially independent? How can having a good credit rating means being financially independent? For instance, Apple who has a great credit rating, depends on the sale of Phones to pay the debt. Therefore, it is not financially independent. The answer is not clear enough...

It seems that you have a misunderstanding of the meaning of "financially independent". Financially dependent is someone who depends on someone else financially: My children are financially dependent on me. However since I have a permanent job I am not financially dependent on anybody - in other words I am financially independent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi, expert.

About the first question, I really think Option E is the right answer.
Since the passage mentioned that "In contrast to traditional lending, which tenders large sums to lendees who have strong credit histories and steady employment", so doesn't that "strong employment" implies that the recipients of traditional loans have already owned businesses?

So, if this is the result, option E would definitely make more sense than option B, right?
Please unveil my doubt, thank you.

Summer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
V01-26:

IMO Steady employment doesn't means business. I am not sure if a businessman would ever say that he has a steady employment. On the contrary he is employing candidates for his business.

Since, employment means salaried jobs... where you are employed as an employee and paid salary, IMO Steady employment means a (salaried) job where you expect to continue working. And, if someone has a steady employment, he is financially independent. B is correct. E is incorrect because it mentions "business already in operation" which is not indicated anywhere in the passage.

Originally posted by chaudhurysr on 25 Oct 2017, 10:42.
Last edited by chaudhurysr on 25 Oct 2017, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
V01-27:

I tend to disagree with option D. OE says "The first sentence of the passage identifies this as the very problem that led to the creation of microloan programs". If the problem is already mentioned in the passage, then how can it be an assumption? As assumption has to be something that is NOT mentioned in the passage.

I chose C as the answer because the passage says "In contrast to traditional lending, which tenders large sums to lendees who have strong credit histories and steady employment, microloans are generally made for less than $1,000 and are available without collateral to individuals with questionable credit histories who may or may not be employed. "

The passage doesn't explicitly mentions that traditional lending is not flexible for loan amounts < $1000, but by mentioning that "microloans are generally made for less than $1,000 " and this is "In contrast to traditional lending", it is fair to assume that traditional lending isn't flexible enough for amount < $1000.

Experts, please clarify!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
chaudhurysr wrote:
V01-27:

I tend to disagree with option D. OE says "The first sentence of the passage identifies this as the very problem that led to the creation of microloan programs". If the problem is already mentioned in the passage, then how can it be an assumption? As assumption has to be something that is NOT mentioned in the passage.

I chose C as the answer because the passage says "In contrast to traditional lending, which tenders large sums to lendees who have strong credit histories and steady employment, microloans are generally made for less than $1,000 and are available without collateral to individuals with questionable credit histories who may or may not be employed. "

The passage doesn't explicitly mentions that traditional lending is not flexible for loan amounts < $1000, but by mentioning that "microloans are generally made for less than $1,000 " and this is "In contrast to traditional lending", it is fair to assume that traditional lending isn't flexible enough for amount < $1000.

Can someone please clarify on this? Though I agree D makes sense as an answer choice, I am not finding sufficient ground to reject C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V25
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V36
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Re V01-27 [#permalink]
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. The passage only mentions the admin cost. Can we infer about the process from this statement?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
geek4gmat wrote:
chaudhurysr wrote:
V01-27:

Can someone please clarify on this? Though I agree D makes sense as an answer choice, I am not finding sufficient ground to reject C.

Dear Experts,
I've the same doubt. Please clarify.
In the 3rd line, its clearly written "In contrast to traditional lending, microloans are generally made for less than $1,000" Thus (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Re V01-26 [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Q3. Shouldn't the OA use ensure and not insure? There is no evidence to suggest that "they could not offer a return to investors" has anything to do with insurance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re V01-26 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. The word 'potential' used in option B is wide in scope,whereas the passage mentions 'individual have a clearly defined plan for a small business'.
Option E is not best that could be an answer, but is better than option B because the only issue with E is (traditional loans are made to businesses already in operation). That may co-relate with the 'lendees who have strong credit histories and steady employment'.
GMAT Club Bot
Re V01-26 [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
93261 posts