Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:19 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Re: When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped [#permalink]
Kudos
Ok first of all, I see discrepancy in the problem where it says "it exactly covers the curved surface" yet Statement (1) says it overlaps 0.5 cm.

I got the answer correct but if you really think about it, we don't really need to consider Statement (1) if it weren't for the discrepancy. We know the height of the label from the actual question, all we need is the width, which is provided by Statement (2). So the logically correct answer should be B, not C. The stupidity in Statement (1) makes it important here. Amazing...
:drunk :toilet
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
wonder_gmat wrote:
Ok first of all, I see discrepancy in the problem where it says "it exactly covers the curved surface" yet Statement (1) says it overlaps 0.5 cm.

I got the answer correct but if you really think about it, we don't really need to consider Statement (1) if it weren't for the discrepancy. We know the height of the label from the actual question, all we need is the width, which is provided by Statement (2). So the logically correct answer should be B, not C. The stupidity in Statement (1) makes it important here. Amazing...

wonder..

where'd you get this question

you get B?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
praetorian123 wrote:
wonder_gmat wrote:

wonder..

where'd you get this question

you get B?

I got it from GMATPlus. Well I would have answered B to be logically correct but after seeing the detail in Statement (1), I answered C. And it is correct, the OA is C. But I think this is just a stupid question... trying to play the word games.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2393 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
wonder_gmat wrote:
When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped around the curved surface of a solid circular cylinder with its shorter ends overlapping, it exactly covers the curved surface. What is the volume of the cylinder in cubic centimeters, if the thickness of the label is ignored?

(1) The label overlap is 0.5 centimeter.
(2) The width of the label is 7.5 centimeters.

My answer to this question was correct but just wondering if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did. Let me know what you guys think, I'll post my observation later. :-D

We are asked to find the volume. We need to know the radius and the height.

We know that 2 (pi) r h = 21.5
But we need two things:
1) We have the overlap issue
2) We need to know the split between r and h since it will affect our volume formula

Let's hit the statements

1: This solves the overlap stuff, but we are missing the split
2: Solves the split but doesn't tell me about the overlap

Looks like its going to be a C here

Hope it helps
J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Volume = Pi * r * r * H

r = radius
H =height

Statement 1 gives the radius. No height. Insuff.

Statement 2 gives the height. No radius. Insuff.

Both together : Sufficient Hence, C
wonder_gmat wrote:
When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped around the curved surface of a solid circular cylinder with its shorter ends overlapping, it exactly covers the curved surface. What is the volume of the cylinder in cubic centimeters, if the thickness of the label is ignored?

My answer to this question was correct but just wondering if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did. Let me know what you guys think, I'll post my observation later. :-D

what is meant by ' with its shorter ends overlapping'..... does it mean width
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Anila,

With a rectangle, you will have two longer sides and two shorter sides. When the rectangular sticker is wrapped around the cylinder, it is done in such a way that the long sides wrap the circumference of the cylinder, and the short sides line up with the height of the cylinder. Because the long sides of the sticker are longer than the circumference of the cylinder, the sticker will overlap itself. When the problem states "... with its shorter ends overlapping...", it means that the short sides of the cylinder will overlap as per the diagram below.

Attachment:
Cylinder Sticker.png
Cylinder Sticker.png [ 8.03 KiB | Viewed 3769 times ]

Let me know if it's still unclear.

Cheers
davedekoos wrote:
Hi Anila,

With a rectangle, you will have two longer sides and two shorter sides. When the rectangular sticker is wrapped around the cylinder, it is done in such a way that the long sides wrap the circumference of the cylinder, and the short sides line up with the height of the cylinder. Because the long sides of the sticker are longer than the circumference of the cylinder, the sticker will overlap itself. When the problem states "... with its shorter ends overlapping...", it means that the short sides of the cylinder will overlap as per the diagram below.

Attachment:
Cylinder Sticker.png

Let me know if it's still unclear.

Cheers

thank u.. its clear now :)
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
wonder_gmat wrote:

Can someone explain how C is correct answer!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Volume is 2 * pi * (radius)^2 * height of cylinder.

here height of cylinder will be the length of the rectangular sheet. We need the radius which, when visualized using the question steam, would be width of the rectangular sheet that wraps the cylinder /2. But since the wrap is completed only after a certain extent of overlap we need both statements as one gives overlap and another the width.

Radius = (width of rectangular sheet - overlap) / 2

hence we need both the statements => Choice C.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619613 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Expert Reply
wonder_gmat wrote:

Discussed here: when-a-rectangular-label-21-5cm-long-is-wrapped-around-the-curved-su-267598.html?fl=similar

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92964 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts