Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 03:01 It is currently 03 May 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3814 [2]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi ankschow,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. As such, your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same way each time (+/- a few points). You do certain things consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Considering that this consistency has occurred over the last 6 months - regardless of how you chose to study - it's likely that you've gotten 'stuck' at this level. Raising a 650 to a 720+ will require that you make some significant changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and you'll have to work to eliminate any 'bad habits' that you've developed during that time (and replace them with new 'good habits'). You will likely need at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to get to your goal score.

1) What study materials have you used for each of your attempts at the GMAT?
2) How many of your practice CATs have you taken more than once?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) What are the exact application deadlines for the Schools that you're considering?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
Thanks for taking out time.

Answer to your questions are as under:
1) for my first attempt I did byjus (tablet course - material is quiet comprehensive and good) which I finished about 80% by the first test date. For my second attempt I did the balance 20% and OG. For my final attempt I kept practicing 700+ level questions from GMAT club.
2) I have taken 1 CAT twice. exam 1 in which I got 670. But there was a gap of about 5 months. Exam 3 I got 690 and that was one day before my exam..
3) as of now I am only prepared for Rotman - deadline is 27 Feb
Insead deadline for Jan intake is sometime in March (round 1)

I know I am in a fix.. I am actually thinking that if it's possible for me to improve my score drastically then may be I should postpone my MBA plans by a year.

Sent from my XT1225 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ankschow,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. As such, your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same way each time (+/- a few points). You do certain things consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Considering that this consistency has occurred over the last 6 months - regardless of how you chose to study - it's likely that you've gotten 'stuck' at this level. Raising a 650 to a 720+ will require that you make some significant changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and you'll have to work to eliminate any 'bad habits' that you've developed during that time (and replace them with new 'good habits'). You will likely need at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to get to your goal score.

1) What study materials have you used for each of your attempts at the GMAT?
2) How many of your practice CATs have you taken more than once?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) What are the exact application deadlines for the Schools that you're considering?

Rich

Hi,
Thanks for taking out time.

Answer to your questions are as under:
1) for my first attempt I did byjus (tablet course - material is quiet comprehensive and good) which I finished about 80% by the first test date. For my second attempt I did the balance 20% and OG. For my final attempt I kept practicing 700+ level questions from GMAT club.
2) I have taken 1 CAT twice. exam 1 in which I got 670. But there was a gap of about 5 months. Exam 3 I got 690 and that was one day before my exam..
3) as of now I am only prepared for Rotman - deadline is 27 Feb
Insead deadline for Jan intake is sometime in March (round 1)

I know I am in a fix.. I am actually thinking that if it's possible for me to improve my score drastically then may be I should postpone my MBA plans by a year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ankschow,

Since you took your most recent GMAT on February 18th, there's no way to retake the Test before the application deadline for Rotman (on February 27th), so the immediate question is whether you're comfortable applying to that School with a 650 or not. As it stands, a 650/Q49 is absolutely in the 'acceptable range' of scores for that School, so you shouldn't hold back because of that GMAT score.

Based on what you've described in your last post, there are a few things worth noting:
1) Retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT realistic (as you'll almost certainly see 'repeat' questions that you've already faced) and the score result is almost always 'inflated.' Thus, we can't consider that score to be truly accurate.
2) Taking a CAT the day before your Official GMAT was NOT a good idea. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week and your last CAT should be about 1 week before your Official GMAT. If you took the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), then you likely experienced some 'burnout' on Test Day. If you didn't take the FULL CAT, then you took a shorter, easier Exam - so the score result was likely 'inflated.'
3) If you truly won't be satisfied unless you score 700+, then you're going to have to put in the necessary additional time and effort to get to that level. Considering the deadlines that you're named, you will need more time than you have to lock in that score.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ankschow,

Since you took your most recent GMAT on February 18th, there's no way to retake the Test before the application deadline for Rotman (on February 27th), so the immediate question is whether you're comfortable applying to that School with a 650 or not. As it stands, a 650/Q49 is absolutely in the 'acceptable range' of scores for that School, so you shouldn't hold back because of that GMAT score.

Based on what you've described in your last post, there are a few things worth noting:
1) Retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT realistic (as you'll almost certainly see 'repeat' questions that you've already faced) and the score result is almost always 'inflated.' Thus, we can't consider that score to be truly accurate.
2) Taking a CAT the day before your Official GMAT was NOT a good idea. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week and your last CAT should be about 1 week before your Official GMAT. If you took the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), then you likely experienced some 'burnout' on Test Day. If you didn't take the FULL CAT, then you took a shorter, easier Exam - so the score result was likely 'inflated.'
3) If you truly won't be satisfied unless you score 700+, then you're going to have to put in the necessary additional time and effort to get to that level. Considering the deadlines that you're named, you will need more time than you have to lock in that score.

Rich

Thank you for the valuable inputs. Appreciate it.

Just wanted to clarify that I gave all the mocks with AWA and IR and in as as close as possible to exam conditions.

As of now I am applying to Rotman. Fingers crossed.

I am taking a break from the GMAT prep as of now..Need to clear my mind.. but will definitely get back to it post my application submission...

Thanks.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
ankschow wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

As of now I am applying to Rotman. Fingers crossed.

I am taking a break from the GMAT prep as of now..Need to clear my mind.. but will definitely get back to it post my application submission...

Thanks.

Best of luck to your application journey :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37352 posts