It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:24

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Drop in score...again!!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 05:50
Hi,

I have given my GMAT thrice:
1) 19 August 2016 - 650 (Q:49, V:30);
- Before this attempt i was getting roughly 620 to 650 on my GMAC mocks.
- I had not solved question in the OG and was not prepared thoroghly

2) 3 December 2016 - 640 (dont remember the break up but was around the same
- was not prepared but had solved the OG

3) 18 February 2017 - 620 (Q:44, V:31)
- Before this attempt i was getting roughly 650 to 690 on my GMAC mocks. (Mock 1 - 670, Mock 2- 650 and Mock 3 - 690(one day before the actual test))
- In the mock in which i got 690 - i got last 3 questions wrong in both Quant and verbal.
- Had practiced well and had solved some OG questions. Was regularly attempting 700+ level questions.
- My exam experience: felt rushed during the last few questions on both quant and verbal. ESR attached.

I would be extremely thankful if someone could help me with the following:

1) What is going on with my Scores? And where am i going wrong?
2) What approach should i adopt going forward - considering deadline of colleges is near i am currently thinking of applying with my current score of 650 (although i feel my chances with such a low score are bleak) and at the same time start preparing again for GMAT (Target score 720+)
3) Anything else that i should be focusing on currently..

My Background:
Qualification: Chartered Accountant
Work experience: 4years (this does not include intern-ship of 3 years)
Current job (since July 2014): Working with Deloitte
Time constraints: Work is hectic so i can try to squeeze in 3 - 4 hours daily
Age:31
Attachments

Third attempt_ESR.pdf [429.27 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

To download please login or register as a user


Last edited by ankschow on 19 Feb 2017, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 956

Kudos [?]: 490 [1], given: 113

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 06:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
If you have received the ESR then you may post it at http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-o ... 21111.html to get analysis done by experts. If you have ESRs from earlier exams then attach those as well. You may attach them to this post also. But do have a look at the provided URL to get the better idea of what all can help you look for in an ESR while you do the analysis.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 490 [1], given: 113

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Just redeemed Kudos for GMAT Club Test !!
Joined: 14 Sep 2013
Posts: 94

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 35

Location: Bangladesh
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 09:38
Sorry to hear your score drop. Expecting to hear to experts.
_________________

______________
KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)
"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks"

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 35

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10401

Kudos [?]: 3693 [0], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 11:13
Hi ankschow,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. As such, your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same way each time (+/- a few points). You do certain things consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Considering that this consistency has occurred over the last 6 months - regardless of how you chose to study - it's likely that you've gotten 'stuck' at this level. Raising a 650 to a 720+ will require that you make some significant changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and you'll have to work to eliminate any 'bad habits' that you've developed during that time (and replace them with new 'good habits'). You will likely need at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to get to your goal score.

1) What study materials have you used for each of your attempts at the GMAT?
2) How many of your practice CATs have you taken more than once?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) What are the exact application deadlines for the Schools that you're considering?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3693 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 18:29
Hi,
Thanks for taking out time.

Answer to your questions are as under:
1) for my first attempt I did byjus (tablet course - material is quiet comprehensive and good) which I finished about 80% by the first test date. For my second attempt I did the balance 20% and OG. For my final attempt I kept practicing 700+ level questions from GMAT club.
2) I have taken 1 CAT twice. exam 1 in which I got 670. But there was a gap of about 5 months. Exam 3 I got 690 and that was one day before my exam..
3) as of now I am only prepared for Rotman - deadline is 27 Feb
Insead deadline for Jan intake is sometime in March (round 1)

I know I am in a fix.. I am actually thinking that if it's possible for me to improve my score drastically then may be I should postpone my MBA plans by a year.

Sent from my XT1225 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 23:15
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ankschow,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. As such, your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same way each time (+/- a few points). You do certain things consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Considering that this consistency has occurred over the last 6 months - regardless of how you chose to study - it's likely that you've gotten 'stuck' at this level. Raising a 650 to a 720+ will require that you make some significant changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and you'll have to work to eliminate any 'bad habits' that you've developed during that time (and replace them with new 'good habits'). You will likely need at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided study to get to your goal score.

1) What study materials have you used for each of your attempts at the GMAT?
2) How many of your practice CATs have you taken more than once?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
4) What are the exact application deadlines for the Schools that you're considering?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Hi,
Thanks for taking out time.

Answer to your questions are as under:
1) for my first attempt I did byjus (tablet course - material is quiet comprehensive and good) which I finished about 80% by the first test date. For my second attempt I did the balance 20% and OG. For my final attempt I kept practicing 700+ level questions from GMAT club.
2) I have taken 1 CAT twice. exam 1 in which I got 670. But there was a gap of about 5 months. Exam 3 I got 690 and that was one day before my exam..
3) as of now I am only prepared for Rotman - deadline is 27 Feb
Insead deadline for Jan intake is sometime in March (round 1)

I know I am in a fix.. I am actually thinking that if it's possible for me to improve my score drastically then may be I should postpone my MBA plans by a year.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10401

Kudos [?]: 3693 [0], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 11:45
Hi ankschow,

Since you took your most recent GMAT on February 18th, there's no way to retake the Test before the application deadline for Rotman (on February 27th), so the immediate question is whether you're comfortable applying to that School with a 650 or not. As it stands, a 650/Q49 is absolutely in the 'acceptable range' of scores for that School, so you shouldn't hold back because of that GMAT score.

Based on what you've described in your last post, there are a few things worth noting:
1) Retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT realistic (as you'll almost certainly see 'repeat' questions that you've already faced) and the score result is almost always 'inflated.' Thus, we can't consider that score to be truly accurate.
2) Taking a CAT the day before your Official GMAT was NOT a good idea. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week and your last CAT should be about 1 week before your Official GMAT. If you took the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), then you likely experienced some 'burnout' on Test Day. If you didn't take the FULL CAT, then you took a shorter, easier Exam - so the score result was likely 'inflated.'
3) If you truly won't be satisfied unless you score 700+, then you're going to have to put in the necessary additional time and effort to get to that level. Considering the deadlines that you're named, you will need more time than you have to lock in that score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3693 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 May 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 19:23
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ankschow,

Since you took your most recent GMAT on February 18th, there's no way to retake the Test before the application deadline for Rotman (on February 27th), so the immediate question is whether you're comfortable applying to that School with a 650 or not. As it stands, a 650/Q49 is absolutely in the 'acceptable range' of scores for that School, so you shouldn't hold back because of that GMAT score.

Based on what you've described in your last post, there are a few things worth noting:
1) Retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT realistic (as you'll almost certainly see 'repeat' questions that you've already faced) and the score result is almost always 'inflated.' Thus, we can't consider that score to be truly accurate.
2) Taking a CAT the day before your Official GMAT was NOT a good idea. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week and your last CAT should be about 1 week before your Official GMAT. If you took the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), then you likely experienced some 'burnout' on Test Day. If you didn't take the FULL CAT, then you took a shorter, easier Exam - so the score result was likely 'inflated.'
3) If you truly won't be satisfied unless you score 700+, then you're going to have to put in the necessary additional time and effort to get to that level. Considering the deadlines that you're named, you will need more time than you have to lock in that score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you for the valuable inputs. Appreciate it.

Just wanted to clarify that I gave all the mocks with AWA and IR and in as as close as possible to exam conditions.

As of now I am applying to Rotman. Fingers crossed.

I am taking a break from the GMAT prep as of now..Need to clear my mind.. but will definitely get back to it post my application submission...

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1225 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Just redeemed Kudos for GMAT Club Test !!
Joined: 14 Sep 2013
Posts: 94

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 35

Location: Bangladesh
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Drop in score...again!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 21:37
ankschow wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

As of now I am applying to Rotman. Fingers crossed.

I am taking a break from the GMAT prep as of now..Need to clear my mind.. but will definitely get back to it post my application submission...

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1225 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Best of luck to your application journey :)
_________________

______________
KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)
"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks"

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 35

Re: Drop in score...again!!!   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2017, 21:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Drop in score...again!!!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.