Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 04:01 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 04:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4728 [5]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Re: The relative prosperity of the first years of the twentieth century [#permalink]
trivikram wrote:
Why is E wrong?

when the precipitation lasted a year from 1907 why is that you are using precipitating?

I was focusing fully idiom on this one and got into trap.

I think E seems better than D here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [2]
GMAT 3: 640
Send PM
Re: The relative prosperity of the first years of the twentieth century [#permalink]
Kudos
drains on the money supply... revealed...precipitated.
E it is
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I go for E, as it is the shortest correct way. the use of Both...and ... can be avoided. (wordy)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, I agree. Novice like me spends time on these questions without any value addition :(
Well I go with E on this one :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6298 [1]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
VarunBhardwaj & Blackbox:

This question was posted almost 8 years ago. As far i know, it was not mandatory to post the OA and source of the question at that time.

Some time back(Not sure of exact time frame) it is made mandatory to select the source and provide OA whenever a member post new questions.

Hope it helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Send PM
Thanks Gnpth for your answer.
Is it possible for some expert/moderator to update the post with OA when the question is bumped up by verbalbot?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6298 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
VarunBhardwaj wrote:
Thanks Gnpth for your answer.
Is it possible for some expert/moderator to update the post with OA when the question is bumped up by verbalbot?

VarunBhardwaj: I have posted the OA and tagged the post as of now.

But i'm little skeptical that each time we have to check for post with OA & the tag when it is bumped. I believe only few questions(which are pretty old) have this kind of issues.

Most of the questions with these type of issues have been resolved. But there is an exception like the above one.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1771 [3]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ttanvir wrote:
The relative prosperity of the first years of the twentieth century came to a halt in 1907 when drains on the money supply, revealing a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit, it precipitated an economic crisis that lasted nearly a year.

A. supply, revealing a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit, it precipitated.

B. Supply, revealing a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit, they precipitated.

C. Supply both revealed a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit and precipitating.

D. Supply revealed both a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit and precipitating.

E. Supply revealed a weak national infrastructure of banking and credit and precipitated.

A and B are run on sentences. C and D lack parallelism.

E is the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
IMO E is best option = but doesn't it require a "," before "and precipitated" ? need advice thank you
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3396 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
C,D—both X and
Y—wrong syntax goes off
A) "it" no antecedent
B) "they" no antecedent. Moreover, option B is a run on sentence. Since the main clause ” They precipitated…..” is connected to other clause merely by a comma

So E is correct. Correct ||sm 'revealed' .... 'precipitated' .
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8904 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
The relative prosperity of the first years of the twentieth century came to a halt in 1907 when drains on the money supply, revealing a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit, it precipitated an economic crisis that lasted nearly a year.

A. supply, revealing a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit, it precipitated. - run- on sentence , antecedent for it

B. Supply, revealing a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit, they precipitated. - run- on sentence , antecedent for they

C. Supply both revealed a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit and precipitating. - parallelism issue

D. Supply revealed both a weak national financial infrastructure of banking and credit and precipitating. - parallelism issue

E. Supply revealed a weak national infrastructure of banking and credit and precipitated. - Correct

Answer E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1595 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
HI broall , Vyshak ,

Please tag as GMATPrep EP2. Have got the question in today mock.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Nightmare007 wrote:
IMO E is best option = but doesn't it require a "," before "and precipitated" ? need advice thank you

experts, please help

I stumped on this during my practice test, because there is another nested X and Y structure, I thought it was necessary to add a comma.

thankyou
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8904 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
sakshamchhabra wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:

experts, please help

I stumped on this during my practice test, because there is another nested X and Y structure, I thought it was necessary to add a comma.

thankyou

Replying to your PM sakshamchhabra,
Comma+ AND uses-
1. In a list: the usage is optional, but GMAT questions almost always have a comma
Comma+ AND can be used for ANY list having 3/more items.
Natalie crossed the street, running, painting, and dodging the traffic-- here, the comma before AND is not necessary

2. To separate two independent clauses: Mandatory

I went home, and then I slept. - 2 independent clauses connected by COMMA+ FANBOYS
I went home, then I slept- incorrect
I went home and slept- Correct; 2 verbs are added, not two clauses-- comma is not to be used
I went home, and slept - incorrect

In OA(E), "a weak national infrastructure of banking and credit" is a case of a list with 2 items. Thus, 'comma+ AND' rule for a list is not applicable.

Hope this helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
I know that it is a detail , but don't we need a "," before "and precipitated".
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 629764 [0]
Given Kudos: 82179
Send PM
Expert Reply
Genoa2000 wrote:
Bunuel, GMATPrep Required here

Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7717 [2]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM
Kudos