Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [44]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [12]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [9]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Send PM
Re: Due to the fact that there are many sensitive equipments and dangerous [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
knuckleduster wrote:
This is definetely A since ... equipments and ... chemicals would need a plural form

Posted from my mobile device

"Equipment" does not have a plural form. "Equipments" is not a valid word.

Hi sayantanc2k

I've got a quick question about whether a singular/plural verb should be used after "there" in the following sentences

1. There is/are a boy & a girl in the playground.

2. There is/are a boy, a girl & an old man in the playground.

3. There is/are a boy & two girls in the playground.

4. There is/are two girls & a boy in the playground.

While many would say "is" sounds better, does the grammar not say that "are" should be used ?

There is 'X' and 'Y'...
or
There are 'X' and 'Y' ...
Does it matter if X is plural? Does the singularity and plurality of 'X' affect the the verb?
Can you help me understand this nuance of this better, please?

Originally posted by PKay on 26 Oct 2016, 05:06.
Last edited by PKay on 17 Jan 2017, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Due to the fact that there are many sensitive equipments and dangerous [#permalink]
Hi,
Can you please specify the source of this? Because, Honestly I did not find any option correct. Most of us have confusion between A and B. Lets come to them one by one -

a) Due to the fact that there are many sensitive equipments and dangerous chemicals

This option is ambiguous because we can not say the whether the intended meaning is -

There are many sensitive equipments and There are dangerous chemicals - if this is the intended meaning then we are fine

or the meaning is
There are many sensitive equipment and There are many dangerous chemicals - if this is the intended meaning then the sentence is incorrect

b) Because there is much sensitive equipment and many dangerous chemicals

This is clearly incorrect because we need 'are' instead of 'is'.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Bookmarks
abhimahna wrote:
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
Hi,
Can you please specify the source of this? Because, Honestly I did not find any option correct. Most of us have confusion between A and B. Lets come to them one by one -

a) Due to the fact that there are many sensitive equipments and dangerous chemicals

This option is ambiguous because we can not say the whether the intended meaning is -

There are many sensitive equipments and There are dangerous chemicals - if this is the intended meaning then we are fine

or the meaning is
There are many sensitive equipment and There are many dangerous chemicals - if this is the intended meaning then the sentence is incorrect

b) Because there is much sensitive equipment and many dangerous chemicals

This is clearly incorrect because we need 'are' instead of 'is'.

True, this questions is wrong in its current form. It should be "Because there are..".

Since the noun equipment does not have a plural form, it will be considered singular. Hence the verb will also be singular based on the fact that a singular noun is closest to the verb.

Example:

Many players and the coach is going to the beach.

The coach and many players are going to the beach.

The verb will change its form based on the closest noun (singular or plural).

Hence B is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
hi,
expert , please help me understand the complication b/w A and B .
what i observed after going through the above threads about option B, why it is right or preferable here ,just because we have x is y sentence here and before verb is we don't have any subject so we have a reverse construction then need to check just after the verb means subject which is singular so followed is here , please correct me !

thanks
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
nks2611 wrote:
hi,
expert , please help me understand the complication b/w A and B .
what i observed after going through the above threads about option B, why it is right or preferable here ,just because we have x is y sentence here and before verb is we don't have any subject so we have a reverse construction then need to check just after the verb means subject which is singular so followed is here , please correct me !

thanks

Hi nks2611,

Here is my explanation for why B is incorrect in its current form. Please let me know whether I understood your question correctly.

As per the meaning of the sentence, we need to provide a reason for "undergraduates are not permitted there without supervision.". In order to do so, option B correctly uses Because usage.

But there is a problem with B.

B conveys that there are two reasons for "undergraduates are not permitted there without supervision."
1. much sensitive equipment
2. many dangerous chemicals

So, ideally it should be something like 'Because There are'. This will agree with the SV agreement But the same is not true in B. Hence, B is incorrect here. In fact, I couldn't find any option that is correct in this question.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nks2611 wrote:
Thanks abhimanha, initially i were thinking the same but as we have to choose 1option whether is it perfect or best of them?, so i sarted persuming

Sent from my vivo 1601 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

This is a pretty straightforward case of distinction between "due to" and "because".

"Due" being an adjective requires a noun to qualify. On the other hand "because" refers to a verb.

First consider the following:
The game stopped because of rain. (Why stopped? - "stopped" is a verb - hence "because").
The stoppage was due to rain. ( why stoppage? - "stoppage" is a noun - hence "due to").

Now come the subject sentence:
Undergraduates are not permitted....Why not permitted? "are not permitted" is a verb. Hence "because" is required and "due to" is wrong.

(The cause actually does not determine "because" / "due to" - here the cause is "the fact that there are many sensitive equipment and dangerous chemicals" or "there is much sensitive equipment and many dangerous chemicals". These parts have no role in determining whether the usage should be "due to" or "because".)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Thank you saynatanc2k for putting a valuable thoght here, but can you tell me why we don't have the verb are in option B,

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,
Can you please explain how the answer "B" is correct
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Keerthanaasri wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I don't think B is correct here. Please check the post made by Souvik above.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nks2611 wrote:
Thank you saynatanc2k for putting a valuable thoght here, but can you tell me why we don't have the verb are in option B,

This seems to be an oversight by the author. The verb should be "are".
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
Keerthanaasri wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

I don't think B is correct here. Please check the post made by Souvik above.

"Equipment" is an uncountable noun. So article "a"/"an" cannot be used with "equipment".
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6130 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Changed "is" in B to "are" as Experts have commented.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Just as for the word "Baggage", we cannot use "Many" to equipment. It is uncountable :) . Hope this helps to say why B is right answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
Trick question :) I chose A as well.

Did a quick google search on use of "Equipment" in a sentence. Here are my notes:
1. It is a singular uncountable noun. We cannot use plural form of verbs with this word.
2. For uncountable nouns we use 'much' not many.

A is incorrect because of incorrect usage of "due to" as pointed out by many folks here.

In option B, "There is much equipment..." is correct. Use of "are" here is grammatically incorrect. Someone should correct it in the question above.

A difficult question indeed! Additional note: if you need to use plural of 'equipment' you can add the word "pieces"

For eg:
Incorrect: You have many equipments here!
Correct: You have many pieces of equipment here!

Hope this is helpful (:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 709
Send PM
Due to the fact that there are many sensitive equipments and dangerous [#permalink]
Due to the fact that there are many sensitive equipments and dangerous chemicals in the lab, undergraduates are not permitted there without supervision.

b) Because there are much sensitive equipment and many dangerous chemicals
c) Since there is sensitive equipment and much dangerous chemicals
d) Existing much sensitive equipment and many dangerous chemicals there
e) Be it that there are much sensitive equipment and dangerous chemicals

Hi - I narrowed down the choices to B and C; The OA shows option B as correct option. However, isn't singular form used for equipment?
Additionally, I am unable to figure out the correct usage of much in options B and C. Any help on this would be much appreciated!!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
paridhibajaj wrote:
Due to the fact that there are many sensitive equipments and dangerous chemicals in the lab, undergraduates are not permitted there without supervision.

b) Because there are much sensitive equipment and many dangerous chemicals
c) Since there is sensitive equipment and much dangerous chemicals
d) Existing much sensitive equipment and many dangerous chemicals there
e) Be it that there are much sensitive equipment and dangerous chemicals

Hi - I narrowed down the choices to B and C; The OA shows option B as correct option. However, isn't singular form used for equipment?
Additionally, I am unable to figure out the correct usage of much in options B and C. Any help on this would be much appreciated!!

Hello paridhibajaj,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your assertion that B is incorrect seems to be accurate.

In fact, none of the answer choices seem to be appropriate; as this is a question from an unknown source and of arguable quality, we recommend that you skip this one.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts