Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [48]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [12]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes [#permalink]
surbhi87 wrote:
B v/s E but i'd choose E.

Here's why :

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give.
"that allows" doesn't go with "looping classes". Also, "to advance.....to give" - should've been "to advance....AND to give" .

B) classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give
"that allow teachers TO advance....and TO(missing) give" . Parallelism!

C) classes and allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give
1) classes AND allow teachers is incorrect. should be "classes THAT allow teachers" .

D) classes, which allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving
looping classes ..allows - Subject Verb Disagreement

E) classes, which allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving
best of the lot.

What's the OA?

OA is B, btw can you explain why the classes are allowing not the experiment?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes [#permalink]
An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors.

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give

looping classes is plural and the phrase modifying it cannot be singular , which mean "that allows " is wrong

B) classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give
This statement is perfect , subject-verb agreement and parallelism is perefectly put here . HENCE RIGHT ANSWER

C) classes and allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

allow teachers phrase is supposed to modify the action of looping classes , which means it is dependent on the first phrase of looping classes, And will make it equal which is wrong here.

D) classes, which allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving

Missing parallelism , as all sentences seem to be in simple present which gets spoiled by "giving" in the end and Allows is singular and not acceptable

E) classes, which allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving
same as above , missing Paralellism .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
rajat0627 wrote:
surbhi87 wrote:
B v/s E but i'd choose E.

Here's why :

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give.
"that allows" doesn't go with "looping classes". Also, "to advance.....to give" - should've been "to advance....AND to give" .

"that allow teachers TO advance....and TO(missing) give" . Parallelism!

1) classes AND allow teachers is incorrect. should be "classes THAT allow teachers" .

looping classes ..allows - Subject Verb Disagreement

best of the lot.

What's the OA?

1. An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

I'm not very good with the rules of grammar but i THINK the reason "why classes are allowing the experiment and not experimenting" is that 1. classes is the noun that is the closest to the fact explained "that allow teachers to.. " 2) Also, if experiment had to be linked to "that allow teachers...", the sentence would've said "an inc. no. of schools are performing experiments that allow teachers..." NOT "are experimenting that allow teachers..."

Again, pls pardon my bad sense of rules but this is the best reasoning i could come up with :oops:

Does anyone know why B is ok in terms of parallelism ?
classes that allow teachers TO advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and (TO?? ) give ?

Thanks !
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
surbhi87 wrote:

classes that allow teachers TO advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and (TO?? ) give ?

Thanks !

Parallelism is pretty concrete in Sentence Correction, but there is an area where the GMAT gets relaxed. The preposition "to" can be omitted from the second element in parallelism because it's "understood". I like to eat hamburgers and (to) drink milkshakes. That sentence is perfectly fine with or without the "to".

KW
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
surbhi87 wrote:
rajat0627 wrote:

1. An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

I'm not very good with the rules of grammar but i THINK the reason "why classes are allowing the experiment and not experimenting" is that 1. classes is the noun that is the closest to the fact explained "that allow teachers to.. " 2) Also, if experiment had to be linked to "that allow teachers...", the sentence would've said "an inc. no. of schools are performing experiments that allow teachers..." NOT "are experimenting that allow teachers..."

Again, pls pardon my bad sense of rules but this is the best reasoning i could come up with :oops:

Your grammar rules are correct. The placement of the modifier next to classes means that we are modifying classes. The additional question is meaning-based - does it make sense for a class, a thing, to allow a teacher, a person, to do something? In this case it certainly does. Normally teachers are assigned to a grade level and they are with students for a year before the students move on. The new "looping classes" keep the teachers with the students so the new class type "allows" the teachers to stay with the students. Here is a different example: "The new bridge allowed the people across the river to get to town in half the time." In this example a thing is allowing people to do something they couldn't do before.

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
KyleWiddison wrote:
surbhi87 wrote:

Thanks !

Parallelism is pretty concrete in Sentence Correction, but there is an area where the GMAT gets relaxed. The preposition "to" can be omitted from the second element in parallelism because it's "understood". I like to eat hamburgers and (to) drink milkshakes. That sentence is perfectly fine with or without the "to".

KW

Thanks Kylie for the detailed explanation. I was very confused between B and E and somehow neither looked perfect to me . Why can't "giving" in E modify the whole "which allow...." expression? I believe "which" modifying "classes" in E should be okay and the reason we're not choosing E is the word "giving" . Right ?

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [4]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Send PM
Bookmarks
An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes;that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors.

a) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give

b) classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

c) classes and allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

d) classes, which allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving

e) classes, which allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
I was able to narrow down to option B and E,finally ended up choosing E.

I thought "teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils" gave the students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors,was better in meaning. Can anyone tell why B is better than E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
sandaki wrote:
An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes;that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors.

a) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give

b) classes that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

c) classes and allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils and give

d) classes, which allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving

e) classes, which allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, giving

i also struggled between B and E..(50-50)
i chose B , but still not 100 % convinced with my own selection :lol:
which and that both seems fine to me...looping classes are special type of classes (checked in wikki) ..so which and that both are fine here in this context .
In B i think there must be "that" in second half for llism ..that allow and that give ...i guess ellipses worked here ..."that " we can assume in second part .
Expert advice needed ...
GMATNinja please help ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
This is the OE

When you read the original, you have to wonder what the pronoun that is standing in for. The experimenting? The looping? The classes, which actually allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, are plural and could never be called that. So this connector, the semicolon followed by that, cannot be the correct choice.

From there, compare the connectors in the other choices. Are schools experimenting with looping classes that allow teachers to advance? That seems possible. Are they experimenting with looping classes and allow teachers to advance? That connector doesn’t seem to make sense, so you can eliminate Choice C. Choices D and E both use which, but Choice D uses allows, which creates a subject-verb agreement issue with the plural word classes.

So, ultimately, you need to decide between Choices B and E. If the difference between that and which does not decide it for you, look at the ends of the two answer choices. Choice B says that these classes allow teachers to advance and give students the opportunity. That seems like a reasonable sentence, with some clear parallelism thrown in for good measure. In Choice E, you find allow teachers to advance grade level along with their pupils, giving students the opportunity. What is giving students the opportunity? The connectors in this answer choice make it very unclear what the subject of giving is, and putting it after the comma implies that the pupils are giving themselves the opportunity, so you should eliminate it and take Choice B.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4691 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
sandaki wrote:

Correct answer must be (B) for the highlighted errors in the options...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sandaki wrote:
This is the OE

When you read the original, you have to wonder what the pronoun that is standing in for. The experimenting? The looping? The classes, which actually allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, are plural and could never be called that. So this connector, the semicolon followed by that, cannot be the correct choice.

From there, compare the connectors in the other choices. Are schools experimenting with looping classes that allow teachers to advance? That seems possible. Are they experimenting with looping classes and allow teachers to advance? That connector doesn’t seem to make sense, so you can eliminate Choice C. Choices D and E both use which, but Choice D uses allows, which creates a subject-verb agreement issue with the plural word classes.

So, ultimately, you need to decide between Choices B and E. If the difference between that and which does not decide it for you, look at the ends of the two answer choices. Choice B says that these classes allow teachers to advance and give students the opportunity. That seems like a reasonable sentence, with some clear parallelism thrown in for good measure. In Choice E, you find allow teachers to advance grade level along with their pupils, giving students the opportunity. What is giving students the opportunity? The connectors in this answer choice make it very unclear what the subject of giving is, and putting it after the comma implies that the pupils are giving themselves the opportunity, so you should eliminate it and take Choice B.

Giving used in the option E is a participle so does not necessarily refer back to the word preceding (as far as I remember), it can refer to the complete clause. So the question that what the giving refer to is answered by something that allows the teachers to advance to the advanced grade.

Given that looping classes are some special classes the use of that is not necessary to explain the term.

I am still a little confused as to why B was preferred over E. Please explain a little more if possible
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I narrowed down to B and E.
I Have removed B because of two reasons
- that allows and that gives - I thought the word "that" pronoun must be present for parallelism.
- E changes the meaning of the sentence but is grammatically correct.

daagh , GMATNinja , Please kindly help me where i went wrong.

Thank you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Imo E
Tough choice between B and E .
Can some one explain why E is wrong

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Nightmare wrote
I narrowed down to B and E.
I Have removed B because of two reasons
- that allows and that gives - I thought the word "that" pronoun must be present for parallelism.
- E changes the meaning of the sentence but is grammatically correct.

What is the second reason for removing B? Your first reason isn't an issue since the first 'that' stands good for the second issue also.
With reference to your observation regarding E, if E changes the meaning, then however grammatically correct it might be, it will not a contender.
In E, it is a confusion what the adverbial --, giving -- is modifying. It may be modifying the classes that are allowing the students or the schools' experimentation that allow the students. The OE is also suspect in this case. Its reasoning that -, giving- may imply the students is erroneous. The -, verbing - will never modify the noun it touches, as adverbs do not modify nouns. All said, it is best to keep off E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
daagh sir,
I got another doubt in general grammar.

An increasing number of schools are experimenting with looping classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give students the opportunity to form long-term relationships with their instructors.

The Sentence intention is to say that "that allows teachers ...... with their pupils" is an essential modifier.

While in E the essential modifier is turned into an non-essential modifier.

My doubt is - can we remove such options because the intended meaning is changed since an essential modifier is changed into non-essential modifier.

Secondly, The verb-ing modifier is ambiguous- whether it is referring to the non-essential modifier's part classes allow ... or Classes ,{removing non-essential modifier}, giving ..... .

my Second doubt in the just above sentence is - can the verb+ing modifier modify the subject + verb of non-essential clause preceding it ?
Help appreciated. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
rajat0627 wrote:

A) classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give

First check grammar

B: looping classes that allow … and give… correct parallelism.
E: looping classes, which allow….., giving students… not parallel. However, they do not have to be parallel; after a comma, we can have a present participle modifying the whole clause, “which allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils

So they both are grammatically correct.

Now let’s check the meaning of the original sentence:

…looping classes; that allows teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils, to give students the opportunity…
The use in the original “to give” introduces purpose.

In B, the use of “and give”, gives another quality of the classes, not purpose.
In E, the use of “giving” refers to a consequence of the previous clause, and thus, it looks better.
Still, all this is arguable. Nevertheless, if we look at the original sentence “with looping classes; that allows teachers to advance”, the use of a semicolon and the pronoun “that” is wrong, and we cannot be clear about the intended meaning of the author. But I believe it is important to decide which pronoun is better “which or “that”; in short, is this an essential clause or a non-essential clause?
It is my contention that this is a non-essential clause because we do not need it in order to know which looping classes are we talking about; we refer to all looping classes. Thus, we must use the “which” clause.

If it were essential, the sentence would refer only to the looping classes “that allow teachers to advance to the next grade level along with their pupils“; however, all the looping classes do that, because that is the definition of looping classes.
I go for E
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts