Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 13:24 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 13:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 629162 [29]
Given Kudos: 82102
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13572 [7]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Re: Two friends, X and Y start from two points M and N and move towards [#permalink]
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Two friends, X and Y start from two points M and N and move towards each other and meet at a point P on the way. How much distance has Y travelled up to the meeting point?

(1) X and Y travel at speeds of 30 miles per hour and 20 miles per hour, respectively.
(2) Had Y travelled at 20 percent higher speed, X and Y would have met at a point which is 10 miles away from P.

\(Speed = \frac{Distance}{Time}\)

Question: Distance of Y = ?

Statement 1:X and Y travel at speeds of 30 miles per hour and 20 miles per hour, respectively

The ratio of speeds = Ratio of their timings as Speed is directly proportional to Time

\(\frac{S_1}{S_2} = \frac{D_1}{D_2}\)
But since the total distance is unknown hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2:Had Y travelled at 20 percent higher speed, X and Y would have met at a point which is 10 miles away from P
i.e. @20% of speed of Y, the distance travelled in entire time of travel = 10 miles

but since we don't know the speed of Y hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining the two statements
Speed of Y = 20 miles and hour
@20% of speed of Y, the distance travelled in entire time of travel = 10 miles
i.e. (0.2*20)*T = 10 where T is the total time of travel
i.e. T = 2.5 hours
So distance travelled by Y = 20*2.5 = 50 miles

answer: option C

When it is told that if Y had travelled 20% faster then they both would have met 10 mile away from point P

My doubt is
1) How do u know if that point is left to point P or right to point P? are we assuming it on left to P becoz Y would have travelled faster?
2) How can the distance between P and the new meeting point tells us that Y travelled only 10 miles??

Please i need urgent help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Two friends, X and Y start from two points M and N and move towards [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Two friends, X and Y start from two points M and N and move towards each other and meet at a point P on the way. How much distance has Y travelled up to the meeting point?

(1) X and Y travel at speeds of 30 miles per hour and 20 miles per hour, respectively.
(2) Had Y travelled at 20 percent higher speed, X and Y would have met at a point which is 10 miles away from P.

(1) says-
the distance travelled by Y - 2/5 d.
the distance travelled by X - 3/5 d.

Not sure of d ( total distance). Clearly insuff.

(2)- No mention of speed of Y and what is the ratio of speed of X and Y.
Clearly insuff.

(1) + (2)-

YP = distance Y travelled = 2/5*d.

Now YP' = new distance travelled by Y = (20*1.20 / ( 20*1.2 + 30))d = 0.44d

YP' - YP = 0.04d

0.04d = 10; d = 250.
YP = 2/5*d = 100 miles.

Ans C
Hope it clears doubt.
Attachments

File comment: Hope the diagram clarifies,
explain.jpg
explain.jpg [ 16.41 KiB | Viewed 8331 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
shekyonline wrote:

(1) says-

Not sure of d ( total distance). Clearly insuff.

(2)- No mention of speed of Y and what is the ratio of speed of X and Y.
Clearly insuff.

(1) + (2)-

YP = distance Y travelled = 2/5*d.

Now YP' = new distance travelled by Y = (20*1.20 / ( 20*1.2 + 30))d = 0.44d

YP' - YP = 0.04d

0.04d = 10; d = 250.
YP = 2/5*d = 100 miles.

Ans C
Hope it clears doubt.

How?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Statement 1:X and Y travel at speeds of 30 miles per hour and 20 miles per hour, respectively

The ratio of speeds = Ratio of their timings as Speed is directly proportional to Time

NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2:Had Y travelled at 20 percent higher speed, X and Y would have met at a point which is 10 miles away from P
i.e. @20% of speed of Y, the distance travelled in entire time of travel = 10 miles

NOT SUFFICIENT

i.e. T = 2.5 hours

hey

I got your equation very right ....

please, however, tell me the reason why the below equation is not right for...

1.2y(d + 10) - yd = 10 miles
where y = y's speed and d= distance traveled by y

thanks in advance ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Two friends, X and Y start from two points M and N and move towards [#permalink]
rocko911

Distance travelled by X = d(x) = speed(x)* time(x)
Distance travelled by Y = d(y) = speed(y)* time(y)

time(x) = time(y) as X, Y meet at a point.

So d(x)/(d(y) = 3/2

distance traveled by X will be d(x)/(d(x)+d(y)) of total distance= (3/ (3+2)) of d = 3/5d

distance traveled by Y will be d - 3/5d = 2/5d.

Hope its clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Is statement B alone not sufficient to solve this? If speed of Y is "Y" and Time for them to meet at point P is "T" then we effectively need to calculate Y*T.
Distance when travelling at speed Y = Y*T
Distance when travelling at speed 1.2Y = Y*T + 10 (this distance will be more than Y*T because Y is walking faster)
So we get Y*T + 10 = 1.2 Y*T
which gives Y*T = 50 [isn't this sufficient by itself?]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Shiprasingh1100 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(2)

Had Y travelled at 20 percent higher speed, X and Y would have met at a point which is 10 miles away from P.

Is statement B alone not sufficient to solve this? If speed of Y is "Y" and Time for them to meet at point P is "T" then we effectively need to calculate Y*T.

Distance when travelling at speed 1.2Y = Y*T + 10 (this distance will be more than Y*T because Y is walking faster)

Shiprasingh1100
I was thinking on the same line, but my friend we are wrong.

Check the above highlighted texts again and try to find a flaw in your reasoning. First try if you are still unable to find the flaw check the below spoilers.

Hint:
Statement 2 says Y travels faster and nothing about the speed of X.

Answer:
Statement 2 says 10miles away, and nothing about the speed of X.
Case 1. speed of X is constant then, your equation below is correct.
1.2Y = Y*T + 10

Case2. Speed of X is increased by a greater number such that speed of Y relative to its speed earlier is less. In this case Y would travek 10miles less than what Y travelled earlier. So the equation would be
1.2Y = Y*T - 10
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Shiprasingh1100 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Can any expert respond to this. Taking simple numbers also, if the original speed is say 100 mph and the speed is increased by 20 percent. The distance traveled will also be increased by 20%? If so, statement B is sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel

In the second case, What if the time is same.

So t1= t2
I.e Increase in speed will compensate by decreasing the distance. Time being same.

p/y = p+10/1.2y

Y get cancelled. We have p=50.
So statement 2 is sufficient.

Where I am making the error? Please suggest.
Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Two friends, X and Y start from two points M and N and move towards [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

Let assume that Y's speed= S
Time= T
Then Distance Y traveled up to the meeting point = D
We are supposed to find S*T or D

S*T = D

as per (2) 1.2S*T = D + 10
So, D = 1.2S*T -10

SO S*T= 1.2S*T - 10
1.2S*T - S*T = 10
ST (1.2-1) = 10
S*T= 10/.2= 50

So, (2) alone can answer this question. If i am wrong, what is wrong with my calculation?

chetan2u, Can you please help me?

Originally posted by nahid78 on 02 Apr 2018, 09:55.
Last edited by nahid78 on 06 Apr 2018, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
gmatcracker2018 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

NOT SUFFICIENT

NOT SUFFICIENT

i.e. T = 2.5 hours

hey

I got your equation very right ....

please, however, tell me the reason why the below equation is not right for...

1.2y(d + 10) - yd = 10 miles
where y = y's speed and d= distance traveled by y

thanks in advance ...

I think i have got it

distance = speed * time, NOT speed * distance

thnaks
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33156 [1]
Given Kudos: 316
Send PM