Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
strategy4gmat1 wrote:
Aiming to get into ISB this year but still have a lot of questions? - Is it worth the investment? Is it the right school for me? Will ISB accept me with a GMAT score below 700? What are the post-ISB careers I can look at?

Get all you queries resolved in our ISB admissions Gyaan Session #5. In this session, you will meet two ISB alumni who will answer all your queries about the school - admissions, academics, placements, clubs, etc.

When: Sunday, 6th August, 2017, Time: 12 Noon IST

Where: You Tube (live session)

We will start by discussing a key topic: How to Differentiate yourself in the ISB application. This will be followed by your queries.

The agenda for the session is given below:

* 1200 - 1215: How to Differentiate yourself in the ISB application

* 1215 - 1240: Q&A (Questions received over email / registration form)

* 1240 - 1300: Q&A (Questions received over the live chat window)

You may also opt for speaking with an ISB alumnus and indicate a preferred time to call. You will be contacted in the week following the session.

So, just sign up and ask your questions about ISB here:

https://goo.gl/forms/dQfK0FUJLGZ6r7a52

Look forward to interacting with you.

Regards,

Abhishek Chawla
ISB alumnus & Co-Founder, Strategy4GMAT
Ph: +91 9990493487 | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com
https://www.strategy4gmat.com

Strategy4GMAT - an ISB alumni venture to help you get into your dream B-school

30+ registrations already! Keep them coming :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
strategy4gmat1 wrote:
valyrian wrote:
Hi please evaluate my profile for ISB and IIMs PGP.
I am an Indian male and a Mech graduate from Thapar university with a gpa of 8.9. (top 7 percent approx.)
I did a six months internship at Tata motors during my 6th semester and was among 6 students selected from a batch of 140. Received SIx sigma green belt for successfully completing training and project. Also was awarded best trainee second runners up.

Then I did Masters in mechanical engineering from UC Berkeley. Had a good GRE of 331/340. I had a 3.8 GPA in masters. (Not sure that matters). Also received 20k dollars merit scholarship from Berkeley.

My GMAT is 770. Q51 V42. IR 8 AWA 5.5

My 10 and 12 marks are a bit low at 79.3 and 82 percents.

I will have about 19 months work ex by Jan 31, 2018.

As for my work ex I am working as a product quality engg in a German multinational (Fresenius) in San Francisco. Fresenius is more than a century old company and is the largest dialysis medical devices manufacturer in the world as well as has nearly 90 percent market share in the dialysis market. They are the largest hospital group in Europe owning about 100 hospitals there and a few thousand clinics in USA.
Extra curriculars:
State level badminton player in class 9th.
Convener of muse club in college.
Participated and won a lot of literary and quizzing events in college.
Have 2nd year degree certificate for tabla

Also planning to take CFA level 1 by Dec and level 2 by June next year. Want to target MBB if I get ISB and IB and MBB if I get IIMs. Hence CFA for IB roles.

Hobbies
Reading novels and watching TV shows. Also have been dabbling in trading biotech stocks in US markets.

Excellent profile! As an ISB alumnus, I must say that you have a strong chance of getting into the school. Your profile is a good mix of strong academics, decent work experience and diverse extra-curriculars. Test scores are high which add to your profile. Overall, you have the profile which ISB would be keen on meeting in the interviews. Since you will be applying to ISB with less than 2 years of experience, you would get a deferred admission as a Early Entry Option (EEO) candidate.

You may also target the IIMs for PGP (especially if you want to get into IB roles). However, for that the route will be the CAT and not the GMAT (I am sure you are aware). The 1 year MBA programs accept the GMAT but they need minimum 4-5 years of experience. Hence, they are out of question.

Hence, if you are looking for a 1 year MBA, then ISB is your best bet in India...and you have a good chance of getting in!

P.S. Do not worry about your school grades, your undergard and masters scores more than compensate for the slightly low school grades.

Good luck! Feel free to respond in case of any queries.

Regards,
Abhishek Chawla
Ph: +91 9990493487; 7087234600 (https://gmatclub.com/chat) | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com

Yeah I am only worried about getting interviews with regards to school grades. I had got 62 and 72 in english in the boards which is pretty ridiculous considering my english is very good. So I can explain that part.

IIMs A B and C take overseas Indians via GMAT for PGP 2 yr program. There is no fixed quota and they will only take if they think the candidate can come through CAT as well. Hence there is no waitlists in this route as well. I have talked to people who have gone via this route and all of them have told me that I should get interview calls from all 3. The only thing which is problematic is that even if I apply in round 2 for ISB the results will be out before IIM results and I will have to pay 2.5 lakhs. SO was wondering should I just do IIMs this year and if I dont get then apply ISB next year as anyways I will have to defer ISB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
valyrian wrote:
I am an Indian male and a Mech graduate from Thapar university with a gpa of 8.9. (top 7 percent approx.)
I did a six months internship at Tata motors during my 6th semester and was among 6 students selected from a batch of 140. Received SIx sigma green belt for successfully completing training and project. Also was awarded best trainee second runners up.

Then I did Masters in mechanical engineering from UC Berkeley. Had a good GRE of 331/340. I had a 3.8 GPA in masters. (Not sure that matters). Also received 20k dollars merit scholarship from Berkeley.

As for my work ex I am working as a product quality engg in a German multinational (Fresenius) in San Francisco. Fresenius is more than a century old company and is the largest dialysis medical devices manufacturer in the world as well as has nearly 90 percent market share in the dialysis market. They are the largest hospital group in Europe owning about 100 hospitals there and a few thousand clinics in USA.
Extra curriculars:

Also planning to take CFA level 1 by Dec and level 2 by June next year. Want to target MBB if I get ISB and IB and MBB if I get IIMs. Hence CFA for IB roles.

Hobbies
Reading novels and watching TV shows. Also have been dabbling in trading biotech stocks in US markets.

Strategy4gmat has already evaluated your profile. But for me it Ahh moment! You will miss min. work criteria by 3 months and hence if selected will be offered deferred admission. Not sure if that hurts you.
Also if you have to wait for another year why not wait 2(get around 4 yrs exp) and apply in Stanford or Hass (closer to you current location)? They also send a lot of folks to MBB. However if your plan s to move back to India than ISB/IIM makes a lot of sense to me.

Originally posted by ag111 on 27 Jul 2017, 21:27.
Last edited by ag111 on 27 Jul 2017, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
valyrian wrote:
strategy4gmat1 wrote:
valyrian wrote:

Extra curriculars:

Hobbies

Excellent profile! As an ISB alumnus, I must say that you have a strong chance of getting into the school. Your profile is a good mix of strong academics, decent work experience and diverse extra-curriculars. Test scores are high which add to your profile. Overall, you have the profile which ISB would be keen on meeting in the interviews. Since you will be applying to ISB with less than 2 years of experience, you would get a deferred admission as a Early Entry Option (EEO) candidate.

You may also target the IIMs for PGP (especially if you want to get into IB roles). However, for that the route will be the CAT and not the GMAT (I am sure you are aware). The 1 year MBA programs accept the GMAT but they need minimum 4-5 years of experience. Hence, they are out of question.

Hence, if you are looking for a 1 year MBA, then ISB is your best bet in India...and you have a good chance of getting in!

P.S. Do not worry about your school grades, your undergard and masters scores more than compensate for the slightly low school grades.

Good luck! Feel free to respond in case of any queries.

Regards,
Abhishek Chawla
Ph: +91 9990493487; 7087234600 (https://gmatclub.com/chat) | E: abhishek.chawla@strategy4gmat.com

Yeah I am only worried about getting interviews with regards to school grades. I had got 62 and 72 in english in the boards which is pretty ridiculous considering my english is very good. So I can explain that part.

IIMs A B and C take overseas Indians via GMAT for PGP 2 yr program. There is no fixed quota and they will only take if they think the candidate can come through CAT as well. Hence there is no waitlists in this route as well. I have talked to people who have gone via this route and all of them have told me that I should get interview calls from all 3. The only thing which is problematic is that even if I apply in round 2 for ISB the results will be out before IIM results and I will have to pay 2.5 lakhs. SO was wondering should I just do IIMs this year and if I dont get then apply ISB next year as anyways I will have to defer ISB.

Do not make the mistake of using Optional Essay or other essay's space reflecting on your weak school english scores! You went to UG and Graduate school post that. Those grades matter not your HS. And then you are worried about one of its subset English score! I think I will be pissed off if I have to read this in an applicant essay. I am sure you can find better weakness in your profile :)

Originally posted by ag111 on 27 Jul 2017, 21:33.
Last edited by ag111 on 27 Jul 2017, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ag111 wrote:
valyrian wrote:

Extra curriculars:

Hobbies

Strategy4gmat has already evaluated your profile. But for me it Ahh moment! You will miss min. work criteria by 3 months and hence if selected will be offered deferred admission. Not sure if that hurts you.
Also if you have to wait for another year why not wait 2(get around 3 yrs exp) and apply in Stanford or Hass (closer to you current location)? They also send a lot of folks to MBB. However if your plan s to move back to India than ISB/IIM makes a lot of sense to me.

Haha almost every single person I have talked to has asked me why not the top US programs seeing that I have master from Berkeley. But for personal reasons I want to move back to India. Professionally I want to go either IB then PE then hedge fund route or consulting and then business route. For the business route far better to be in india as wait for green card is too damn long.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
jigneshmaniyar wrote:
Hi please evaluate my profile.
GMAT score 660
Chartered Accountant with 10 years work experience in listed company
B. Com. 64%
HSC 67%
SSC 57%

Age 36 (male)

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MI MAX using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi jigneshmaniyar,

Chartered Accountants are valued at all B-schools because they bring a diverse point of view to both classroom learning and beyond class discussions. A couple of points that you might want to focus on:
- With 10 years of work-experience you would need to answer the why MBA? why now? questions very succinctly, since you have amassed a lot of work experience.
- 660 is on the lower side, however with a great profile, it may not be a deterrent, because your rich and above-average work experience. If you can portray your professional accomplishments in a manner that sets you apart from peers then you have a winner.
- We don't see a reference to extra-curriculars, but these are becoming increasingly important in the overall evaluation of a candidature, hence you may want to address these too.

Feel free to reach out for a discussion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
swarup1981 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Pl can you evaluate my profile for 1 year MBA programs & share relevant colleges. I am preparing for GMAT & aim for a score of 650-680 and looking forward to 2019 enrollment.

- 35 years Indian Male
- Bachelor of Commerce ( H) from DU & ICWA Inter
- Senior Manager for Finance & Supply Chain Projects with IBM
- 12 + years international experience ( Infosys, Capgemini , IBM ) as a client managing consultant & advisory for Europe , USA & APAC clients. Projects managed worth $5 million - $ 100 million & managing team sizes globally during projects from 40 - 200 people.
- Awarded Best Project Manager by Infosys
- 3 years International stay exposure based out of England ( 2 years ) & Singapore ( 1 year )
- Senior Reviewer with Trip Advisor ( 20000 + readers ) for frequent travels documented during official trips to Europe , APAC & USA
- Volunteer at orphanage run by charitable foundation teaching kids and supporting weekend meals

Your guidance is most welcome. Thanks.

Hi swarup1981,

A well-balanced and well-developed profile, The international work experience and the professional accomplishments are good differentiators. You'd make a good fit for the ISB/IIM Executive MBA programs. Couple of thoughts:
- Target a GMAT of 680-700 (and the higher the better), this would keep your profile competitive and also be helpful in case you decide to apply to B-schools abroad.
- The choice of B-school would depend on your career goals, as all B-schools have different soft spots. You may want to use our free B-school selector here for a discussion.

As far as ISB is concerned, well-articulated essays and a GMAT of 680+ should see you through.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi,

I am an ISB 2018-2019 aspirant, would greatly appreciate your time to assess my profile.

Current Age: 22
Nationality: Indian
IT/non-IT: UG in Engg., work exp. as an entrepreneur

Academics:
1) Class 10 (2011) - ICSE (85%)
- School cricket team captain
- School house captain
2) Class 11 & 12 (2013) - State Board (87%)
- School house captain
- Know how to speak French (if that matters...)
3) UG (2016) at from a top UK university (a Russell-group university based in London)
- B.Eng. (Honours) Aerospace Engineering (result - 2:2). It's a bit on the lower side, but compensated with co-curricular activities, part-time job, and starting a company
- Won an £7500/year (50%) scholarship for all 3 years of studies
- Business Strategy dissertation. (my supervisor was impressed with my company, allowed me do a strategy dissertation instead of an engineering one)
4) GMAT (Jul 2017) - 640 (Q - 47, V - 32, IT - 5, AWA - 5). Currently preparing to re-take in mid-Sep. Target 720
5) Currently preparing for CFA Level 1 (exam in Dec 2017)
6) Online courses from Coursera on Finance, Strategy, and Accounting

Work Experience:
2 years F/T since graduating at the time of admission (Apr 2018). 5 years F/T experience overall at the time of admission (Apr 2018)
1) Started a Food and Beverage company with a partner in India. Working as its CEO (managing Sales and Strategy)
2) Started a Started a Digital Marketing company during my 1st year in UG (decided quickly that engg. is not for me, only continued because of my parents' financial investment). Profits > £20,000. Ran it until graduation (~ 3 years). Most of University expense (tuition + cost of living) re-earned (great help to parents), which was the goal
3) Internship in Investment Banking (M&A) in summer 2015 at a small investment banking firm in India
4) Part-time work during UG studies - waiting staff, sub-warden, student abassador, and sales associate (at different times in the 3 years)
5) Summer internships since the age of 15 (except for summer 2015, when I started my own company). Worked mainly in the Sales department

Leadership/Volunteer Work/:
1) Currently volunteering as a spoken english tutor at a local government school (2x a week) through a local NGO
2) VP of my university's Economics Society (>400 members) in my final year (1st engg. student to be voted in)
3) Co-founded my university's Handball Club in my 2nd year. Was voted in as a treasurer
4) Head of Communications at my university's Engineers Without Borders Society
5) Student mentor in one of my university's students union's mentoring programmes
6) Football Coach at a local primary school during UG studies

Hobbies:
Wrestling and MMA, Painting, Writing poems, cooking

Can you please assess my chances for the ISB PGPM class 2018-2019?
Any improvement suggestions?

Please be brutal if needed, will be taken in positive. Thank you for the time.

Best Wishes.

Originally posted by TSJ on 28 Jul 2017, 05:30.
Last edited by TSJ on 28 Jul 2017, 07:53, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Hello, I am Mohit (Age-32). Kindly review my profile for ISB Application.
I got 690 Score( Q-50, V-33) in GMAT (second attempt). I have 7 years of work experience in Production Planning and Control department in Steel industry. I am M TECH in chemical Engineering from IIT Bombay (CGPA - 8.3) & B E in Chemical Engg. from VNSGU, Surat (65% aggregate). 12th - 64% & 10th - 84.5%.
Have founded a start up in K-12 Education system which provides practical learning approach to children (involved with job in the venture for 4 years).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got 690 Score( Q-50, V-33) in GMAT (second attempt). I have 7 years of work experience in Production Planning and Control department in Steel industry. I am M TECH in chemical Engineering from IIT Bombay (CGPA - 8.3) & B E in Chemical Engg. from VNSGU, Surat (65% aggregate). 12th - 64% & 10th - 84.5%.
Have founded a start up in K-12 Education system which provides practical learning approach to children (involved with job in the venture for 4 years).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mohitpoddar wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
mohitpoddar wrote:

Hi Mohit,

Your profile and achievements are god .Please go ahead.
No one can give you 100 % surety but in my view you have very good chance to get selected in ISB .
Few of my indian colleagues got ISB call at 650 also.
Goodluck
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
TSJ wrote:
Hi,

I am an ISB 2018-2019 aspirant, would greatly appreciate your time to assess my profile.

Current Age: 22
Nationality: Indian
IT/non-IT: UG in Engg., work exp. as an entrepreneur

Academics:
1) Class 10 (2011) - ICSE (85%)
- School cricket team captain
- School house captain
2) Class 11 & 12 (2013) - State Board (87%)
- School house captain
- Know how to speak French (if that matters...)
3) UG (2016) at from a top UK university (a Russell-group university based in London)
- B.Eng. (Honours) Aerospace Engineering (result - 2:2). It's a bit on the lower side, but compensated with co-curricular activities, part-time job, and starting a company
- Won an £7500/year (50%) scholarship for all 3 years of studies
- Business Strategy dissertation. (my supervisor was impressed with my company, allowed me do a strategy dissertation instead of an engineering one)
4) GMAT (Jul 2017) - 640 (Q - 47, V - 32, IT - 5, AWA - 5). Currently preparing to re-take in mid-Sep. Target 720
5) Currently preparing for CFA Level 1 (exam in Dec 2017)
6) Online courses from Coursera on Finance, Strategy, and Accounting

Work Experience:
2 years F/T since graduating at the time of admission (Apr 2018). 5 years F/T experience overall at the time of admission (Apr 2018)
1) Started a Food and Beverage company with a partner in India. Working as its CEO (managing Sales and Strategy)
2) Started a Started a Digital Marketing company during my 1st year in UG (decided quickly that engg. is not for me, only continued because of my parents' financial investment). Profits > £20,000. Ran it until graduation (~ 3 years). Most of University expense (tuition + cost of living) re-earned (great help to parents), which was the goal
3) Internship in Investment Banking (M&A) in summer 2015 at a small investment banking firm in India
4) Part-time work during UG studies - waiting staff, sub-warden, student abassador, and sales associate (at different times in the 3 years)
5) Summer internships since the age of 15 (except for summer 2015, when I started my own company). Worked mainly in the Sales department

Leadership/Volunteer Work/:
1) Currently volunteering as a spoken english tutor at a local government school (2x a week) through a local NGO
2) VP of my university's Economics Society (>400 members) in my final year (1st engg. student to be voted in)
3) Co-founded my university's Handball Club in my 2nd year. Was voted in as a treasurer
4) Head of Communications at my university's Engineers Without Borders Society
5) Student mentor in one of my university's students union's mentoring programmes
6) Football Coach at a local primary school during UG studies

Hobbies:
Wrestling and MMA, Painting, Writing poems, cooking

Can you please assess my chances for the ISB PGPM class 2018-2019?
Any improvement suggestions?

Please be brutal if needed, will be taken in positive. Thank you for the time..

Best Wishes.

Hi TSJ,

You've done a whole lot of things in your short age and you come across as enterprising. I think you have great things ahead of you in the future, however, I am not very sure an MBA is the right thing at this time.

As I understand, you are running the F&B startup currently. Do talk about your work here/ how have you grown the company, what stage is the company at. etc. etc. Why leave it at this point in time? And what do you want to do after the MBA? Maybe spending some more years at the startup will give you better practical learning as compared to doing an MBA- will need to know more to understand it better.

Your GMAT and GPA, both are low and extra curricular activities/ work experience at college can not compensate for both. B-schools want to be sure of your academic rigor so you should definitely retake GMAT and aim for a 720 or above score.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohitpoddar wrote:

Hi Mohit,

Your stats are looking good to me but I am missing details about your career growth and achievements at work, and ofcourse, your career goals.
Assuming these elements are strong, the application outcome will depend on how well you are able to execute your application and come across as a compelling candidate.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Architecture (Real Estate)
Send PM
There are a lot of suggestions / information available on how to write the main essays, but not much on scholarship essays.
Could someone give some suggestions/samples on what a good 'merit by diversity essay' should comprise of?

Merit by Diversity scholarship essay:
Justify by stressing on your uniqueness and the value add by the way of diversity you bring to the school and your peer group at ISB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohitpoddar wrote:

Himohitpoddar,

A Masters and the IIT brand definitely help. A score of 690 will keep your profile competitive. Academically you're covered. Professionally, a lot will depend on what are your future goals and why do you want to do an MBA? Are you looking to transition completely into your educational venture? Do you want to showcase that as extracurricular activity?
The key to success lies in building well-articulated and coherent essays that map your professional achievements to your goals.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed discussion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi Mohit,

Hope you are doing well.

I am an ISB alum, CO14, and would be happy to evaluate your candidature.

Below is my take on your profile
Academics: Average ; M. Tech will be a bonus
Work Experience: Knowledge in a core industry is valuable ; tell me more about you have progressed on your career
GMAT : Average ; in fact just a little below average as far as ISB concerned
Extra Curricular : Startup experience in Education sector is great ; however, you will need to explain why aren’t you fully committed to it (you still have a full time job), and also what have you achieved in the last 4 years.
Overall, with an impactful application (essays + form + LOR), you should have a good chance of making it to ISB.

In case you have further questions and want a detailed discussion. Please feel free to reach out to me at arijit.biswas@crackadmission.com and/or M :+91-9701215544

Cheers
Arijit
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  46   47   48   49   50  ...  307