Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 12:50 It is currently 03 May 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51473 [25]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63755 [16]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [3]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8816 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior and poor judg [#permalink]
A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior and poor judgment displayed by some teenagers who play several hours of video games a day are due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain rather than the absorption of any specifically violent content.

(A) day are due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain - Correct
(B) day is due to damage to the development of the frontal lobe region of the brain - Subject verb agreement issue - Violent behavior and poor judgment need are
(C) day are damaged due to the development of the brain’s frontal lobe - illogical meaning
(D) day, due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain, - missing verb
(E) day is due to damage to the brain’s developmental frontal lobe region - Subject verb agreement issue - same as B

Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
GMAT Date: 07-23-2015
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior and poor judg [#permalink]
A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior and poor judgment displayed by some teenagers who play several hours of video games a day are due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain rather than the absorption of any specifically violent content.

(A) day are due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain
[ Behaviour & Judgement refers to -> are (plural form); the characteristics are due to damage developed in the brain ]

(B) dayis due to damage to the development of the frontal lobe region of the brain

(C) day are damaged due to the development of the brain’s frontal lobe

(D) day, due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain,

(E) day is due to damage to the brain’s developmental frontal lobe region

Option-A is the right answer. Took around 1:42 mins
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4935 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
GMATNinja wrote:
What, video games cause brain damage?!? I mean, I’m not a gamer at all – but really? Not buying that at all.

Quote:

“Day are due” sounds funny, so let’s make sure we’re clear about the subject-verb business in this sentence. “Violent behavior and poor judgment… are due to…” So we’re OK there.

We’re also OK with the “due to”, since the phrase “due to developmental damage” modifies a pair of nouns, “violent behavior and poor judgment.” Not that it matters: all five answer choices include “due to”, so it's basically irrelevant, anyway. Keep (A).

Quote:
(B) day is due to damage to the development of the frontal lobe region of the brain

Here’s the subject-verb error we were looking for in (A): “Violent behavior and poor judgment… is due to…” (B) is gone.

Quote:
(C) day are damaged due to the development of the brain’s frontal lobe

This doesn’t look very different than (A), but it is. Now this is saying that “the violent behavior and poor judgment… are damaged due to the development of the brain’s frontal lobe.” Ha. That’s almost funny. (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) day, due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain,

(D) is missing a pretty important verb. “…the violent behavior and poor judgment” really needs a verb. I can’t make much sense of this sentence if “due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain” is just a modifier wedged between commas. It’s not clear what the “due to” phrase is trying to modify – and a verb would be really, really helpful. (A) is much clearer, and we can eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) day is due to damage to the brain’s developmental frontal lobe region

Same subject-verb error as in (B). (E) is out, and (A) is correct.

Hello, would you please make me clear why the verb "show" will be followed by "that"https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/verb-patterns-verb-that-clause
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Quote:

i dont understand how violent behavior is due to "developmental damage". What does developmental damage means?
It didnt made sense to me so i eliminated A.
I made a mistake in is/are usage and chose B.
In my opinion, besides the is/are wrong usage, option B gives a clearer meaning.
Quote:
day is due to damage to the development of the frontal lobe region of the brain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
to choose option A, don't you think there must be "," between poor judgment & displayed.
for example : violent behavior and poor judgment, displayed.

if not then why displayed can't be taken as verb for violent behavior and poor judgment ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
8427791377 wrote:
to choose option A, don't you think there must be "," between poor judgment & displayed.

if not then why displayed can't be taken as verb for violent behavior and poor judgment ?

Hello 8427791377,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the past participle ("displayed" in this sentence) can be used as an adjective to modify nouns ("judgment" in this sentence), even without a comma.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63755 [0]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
8427791377 wrote:

We have "displayed by," not just "displayed," and that clues the reader in to the intended function.

Also, if we treat "displayed" as a verb, then we have to ask, "What exactly did the violent behavior and poor judgment display?" "BY some teenagers" certainly isn't something that can be displayed, so it doesn't make any sense to treat "displayed" as a verb here.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts