Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51457 [6]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [4]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some companies in fields where skilled employees are hard to find make [#permalink]
sheolokesh wrote:
I dont understand how A.. According to agreement, the employee is signing it. So if the employer has to sue, it has to sue only the employee not the competing firm. But D states that the new employer will not hire the employee because they feel that the employee will not be reliable.. Please explain..

sheolokesh Option A never states that the new employer wont employ because the employee is unreliable. Option A only states that since the new employer doesnt want the hassle of a lawsuit or doesnt like the idea that its name will be dragged to a lawsuit, it wont hire the employee who has a binding contract.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Some companies in fields where skilled employees are hard to find make [#permalink]
AmoyV wrote:
sheolokesh wrote:
I dont understand how A.. According to agreement, the employee is signing it. So if the employer has to sue, it has to sue only the employee not the competing firm. But D states that the new employer will not hire the employee because they feel that the employee will not be reliable.. Please explain..

sheolokesh Option A never states that the new employer wont employ because the employee is unreliable. Option A only states that since the new employer doesnt want the hassle of a lawsuit or doesnt like the idea that its name will be dragged to a lawsuit, it wont hire the employee who has a binding contract.

I hope you misunderstood my explanation..
According to agreement, the employee is signing it. So if the employer has to sue, it has to sue only the employee not the competing firm. So competing firm dont have to worry about the lawsuit.. That makes option A not good..

Option D states that the new employer will not hire the employee because the employer feels that the employee will not be reliable as the employee has broke the promise..

This is my confusion..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Send PM
sheolokesh wrote:
AmoyV wrote:
sheolokesh wrote:

I hope you misunderstood my explanation..
According to agreement, the employee is signing it. So if the employer has to sue, it has to sue only the employee not the competing firm. So competing firm dont have to worry about the lawsuit.. That makes option A not good..

Option D states that the new employer will not hire the employee because the employer feels that the employee will not be reliable as the employee has broke the promise..

This is my confusion..

D never states what you think it is stating. D says that the employees themselves will not go against their contract and volunteer to fulfill their contract.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Only A can gives an explanation.
D is confusing, but D, like C and E, intensifies the paradox.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 824 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Some companies in fields where skilled employees are hard to find make signing an "agreement not to compete" a condition of employment. In such an agreement the employee promises not to go work for a competing firm for a set period after leaving his or her current employer. Courts are increasingly ruling that these agreements are not binding. Yet paradoxically, for people who signed such agreements when working for competing firms, many firms are unwilling to consider hiring them during the period covered by the agreement.

Which one of the following if true, most helps to resolve the paradox?

(A) Many companies will not risk having to become involved in lawsuits, even suits that they expect to have a favourable outcome.

(B) In some industries for example, the broadcast media, companies‟ main source of new employees tends to be people who are already employed by competing firms

(C) Most companies that require their employees to sign agreements not to compete are aware that these documents are not legally binding

(D) Many people who have signed agreements not to compete are unwilling to renege on a promise by going to work for a competing firm

(E) Many companies consider their employees established relationships with clients and other people outside the company to be valuable company assets

I thought 'courts are ruling that...' means court has annulled the law. This made me diverge from A. Can someone please explain what exactly does 'ruling..' means if that doesn't signify the annulment of the law passed ?
Thank you
VP
VP
Send PM
One seminar episode hosted by ninjagmat has once published this question. I do not know that gmat experts do care about Aristole questions on the mainstream.
VP
VP
Send PM
sheolokesh wrote:

D is a double-negative claim => D makes the paradox more complex.
You have already known the rest; all are eliminated by using POE>
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I am still confuse. How is D intensifying the paradox? please, can anyone clear me?.
VP
VP
Send PM
mamun2013@gmail.com wrote:
I am still confuse. How is D intensifying the paradox? please, can anyone clear me?.

I am happy to send you some notes on this question.

D states that ") Many people who have signed agreements not to compete are unwilling to renege on a promise by going to work for a competing firm"

unwilling to renege = do not want to revoke = do not plan to cancel
D means "people who have signed agreements" not just sign, or agree, but also keep their promises. However, in the end, those people still fail to get rehired.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts