Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 12:37 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 12:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [5]
Given Kudos: 24
Annie: Nguyen
Concentration: International Business, Other
GPA: 3.33
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28711 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Baker-Perez Engineering specilizes in microelectronics. The company [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
siddyj94 wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo mikemcgarry

Can you please intervene here and clarify how is Option C weakening the conclusion?

I was able to eliminate all the options as they were not weakening the conclusion, which is "laying off the new employees is a good start".

Please can you help in identifying how is Option C worst of all?

Prethinking - Something which can give us an reason not to fire the new employees as they can be an asset to the firm if they could turn in some profit or are excellent in their field?

Option C - If the colleges have recently introduced this field, this means they are still in the learning phase and they are expendable.

Thanking in advance.

Dear siddyj94,

Thank you for asking a thoughtful question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's (C).
C. Colleges and universities only recently began to offer embedded systems as an area of focus.

Think about this carefully. First of all, this is an "area of focus," not a side course, so the recent graduates had the option to learn this material in a deep way. Think about anything that was an "area of focus" in your undergrad: by the time you graduated, presumably it was something you knew well. The fact the "area of focus" might have been introduced, say, the year before you started to focus on it has no bearing on how well you would learn it.

The "recently" refers when the colleges & universities started offering this possibility of studying embedded systems in depth. Recent grads had the option to study embedded systems in depth, but before this, the folks who graduated, say, 10+ years ago might have learned little or nothing about embedded systems in their undergraduate education. We don't know about the details here in the prompt, but in general, the tech world is a fast moving world, and what is the hot technology today might be something that was unknown 5-10 years ago, so someone who graduated last year might have been able to study this new stuff, but not someone who graduated 10 year ago, because the new technology didn't exist them. It's perennially true in the tech world that to be younger is to have an edge of some kind.

Thus, the recent grads may well have learned the most up-to-date stuff about embedded systems in their undergraduate coursework, so it's not necessarily true that they would be the most expendable.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
Re: Baker-Perez Engineering specilizes in microelectronics. The company [#permalink]
mikemcgarry - As usual your explanations are crystal clear and crisp.
Now i can see that C is the best of all.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1793 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
this question is from ready4gmat, a reliable source.
the pattern is common and important.
boil down to C and D.
C gives the reason why such lay-off is impossible, D just tells about a fact in which employees become protected by the new proposal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 4
Send PM
For C to weaken the conclusion, we must assume that all recently hired employees are fresh graduates. However, it is nowhere mentioned . A recently hired employee may not be a fresh graduate from such college/uni.. In that way it will not matter to the company even if the company lay them off.. Could someone please explain.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Annie28 wrote:
Baker-Perez Engineering specilizes in microelectronics. The company has traditionally focused on printed circuit board designs, but is hoping to expand into sensor networks and embedded systems. Baker-Perez is cutting its staff of engineers by 10 percent. To ensure that the company’s ability to produce high-quality products is impacted as little as possible by the staff cuts, consultants recommend that Baker-Perez lay off the most recent hires, who are the least familiar with the company’s products.
Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt upon the consultants’ rationale for selecting staff to lay off?

A. Other companies that focus on printed circuit board designs have already begun to move into sensor networks and embedded systems.
B. If Baker-Perez has to invest significant resources into employee training, it could fall behind on new trends in technology.
C. Colleges and universities only recently began to offer embedded systems as an area of focus
D. At Baker-Perez, employees must work for at least three years before they are fully vested
E. Baker-Perez currently allocates no more funds to research and development than other microelectronics companies do.

Consultant recommend that Baker-Perez lay off the most recent hires, who are the least familiar with the company’s products.

Now to cast doubt, we must select an option, which says that the new hires are actually beneficial

A - no effect
B - this does the opposite. It strengthens the rationale
C - if this is true then laying off the new hires is weakened
D - this is similar to B
E - no effect

C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot