Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [10]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31998 [3]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE:Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Re: Two years ago, officials in Distropia passed landmark [#permalink]
imyuva wrote:
I selected D, because it explains why the price is decreased. But OA is C. What does "AS LONG AS" means? Please anyone explain.

"As long as" is an introduction for a requirement. Example: You can stay at the hotel as long as you pay your rent

I chose C, because it tell us that a decrease in demand isn't the only reason for the lower prices. An increase in supply or cheaper production could be other reasons for this phenonomen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
devikeerthansr wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the passage below?

Two years ago, officials in Distropia passed landmark piracy legislation to combat an explosion in distribution of pirated DVDs of newly released movies in the country’s major cities. Primarily, the legislation created new controls for preventing the entry of pirated DVDs from the neighboring country of Estonia, the major supplier of pirated DVDs to Distropia. If the plan had been successful, the street price for most piratedDVDs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped as it did over the past two years, as long as______________.

A.The street price of some pirated DVDs did not drop during that time period.
B.There was a major decrease in the supply of pirated DVDs during that time period
C.The drop in the street price for most pirated DVDs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those DVDs.
D.Domestic production of pirated DVDs did not increase during that time period
E.The street price of some pirated DVDs increased substantially during that time period.

Source:CrackVerbal

The para talks of banning entry of pirated CDs from neighbouring country. But the rate of CDs fell whixh meant the plan did not succeed AS LONG AS..

Now 'as long as' should give us another reason for drop in price so as to show that the plan worked but there were other reasons for decrease in price.

And C does that exactly..
It tells us that the demand has gone down, leading to decrease in price.

C

Hi chetan,

I am not able to fully grasp the last bit of the question. Could you please elaborate a bit more?

Originally posted by rahulkashyap on 06 Jan 2018, 07:25.
Last edited by rahulkashyap on 06 Jan 2018, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
mikemcgarry

Would be glad if you could help out
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
Hi chetan,

I am not able to fully grasp the last bit of the question. Could you please elaborate a bit more?

rahulkashyap wrote:
mikemcgarry

Dear rahulkashyap

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I don't have the highest opinion of this question. This is several notches harder than anything the GMAT will give you. Also, the nation of Distropia is appropriate fictional, but Estonia is a real place, and that respected member of the EU and NATO conceivably could be offended by the implications of this question.

The phrase "as long as" is a way to add, at the end of a sentence, an additional condition that guarantees some statement to be true. The added condition is often an afterthought, and often is something that most people would take for granted already. For example,
During a full moon, moonlight illuminates the landscape from dusk to dawn, as long as the sky is not too cloudy.
With proper antibiotics, a person with scarlet fever will make a full recovery, as long as he isn't run over by a car.
An older automobile with a fully rebuilt engine will run as reliably and powerful as when it was new, as long as it has gas.

This is the sense in which it is used in this question. Here's the final sentence with version (C) ending:
If the plan had been successful, the street price for most pirated DVDs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped as it did over the past two years, as long as the drop in the street price for most pirated DVDs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those DVDs.

That's a very complicated sentence, which conveys two important facts.
1) The "street price for most pirated DVDs in the country’s major cities" actually dropped.
2) If the legislation had been successful, the street price wouldn't have dropped--it would have gone up.

In understanding this much, it is essential to understand the Law of Supply and Demand. You absolutely have to know this basic economics fact inside-out.

At the beginning of the prompt, two years ago, there was a flood of this pirated DVDs coming in. This implies that that both the supply and the demand were high, so the price was kept reasonably low by this equilibrium. What officials in Distropia hoped was that they would choke off the supply---with low supply and similar demand, presumably the price would skyrocket. In practice, the pirated DVDs would have been much more expensive than the legitimate ones, and so people would have bought the legitimate ones. The fact that the price went further down shows what a complete disaster the legislation was: rather than solve the problem, this legislation made the problem worse!

Once again, the "as long as" phrase has two characteristics:
1) it's something relatively obvious and expected
2) it's further guarantees the truth of the main statement.

The main statement is that "If the plan had been successful, the street price for most pirated DVDs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped."
Again, if the plan had been successful, the supply of these illegal pirate DVDs would have dwindled to almost nothing, and with the same demand, the price would have been very high.
This is true "as long as the drop in the street price for most pirated DVDs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those DVDs"--that is, during the time that supply was dropping, demand also dropped, then this could keep the supply low. We certainly wouldn't expect the demand to drop: people like cheap DVDs, so why would they suddenly stop liking them? Thus, this statement fulfills all the requirements of a condition framed in an "as long as" clause.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Find out the option which satisfies the following:

The price could be dropped if...

C. Demand falls. Correct.
D. Not. Because it says the opposite. Supply doesn't increase.

Very tough indeed to get the gist.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:
Hi chetan,

rahulkashyap wrote:
mikemcgarry

Dear rahulkashyap

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I don't have the highest opinion of this question. This is several notches harder than anything the GMAT will give you. Also, the nation of Distropia is appropriate fictional, but Estonia is a real place, and that respected member of the EU and NATO conceivably could be offended by the implications of this question.

The phrase "as long as" is a way to add, at the end of a sentence, an additional condition that guarantees some statement to be true. The added condition is often an afterthought, and often is something that most people would take for granted already. For example,
During a full moon, moonlight illuminates the landscape from dusk to dawn, as long as the sky is not too cloudy.
With proper antibiotics, a person with scarlet fever will make a full recovery, as long as he isn't run over by a car.
An older automobile with a fully rebuilt engine will run as reliably and powerful as when it was new, as long as it has gas.

This is the sense in which it is used in this question. Here's the final sentence with version (C) ending:
If the plan had been successful, the street price for most pirated DVDs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped as it did over the past two years, as long as the drop in the street price for most pirated DVDs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those DVDs.

That's a very complicated sentence, which conveys two important facts.
1) The "street price for most pirated DVDs in the country’s major cities" actually dropped.
2) If the legislation had been successful, the street price wouldn't have dropped--it would have gone up.

In understanding this much, it is essential to understand the Law of Supply and Demand. You absolutely have to know this basic economics fact inside-out.

At the beginning of the prompt, two years ago, there was a flood of this pirated DVDs coming in. This implies that that both the supply and the demand were high, so the price was kept reasonably low by this equilibrium. What officials in Distropia hoped was that they would choke off the supply---with low supply and similar demand, presumably the price would skyrocket. In practice, the pirated DVDs would have been much more expensive than the legitimate ones, and so people would have bought the legitimate ones. The fact that the price went further down shows what a complete disaster the legislation was: rather than solve the problem, this legislation made the problem worse!

Once again, the "as long as" phrase has two characteristics:
1) it's something relatively obvious and expected
2) it's further guarantees the truth of the main statement.

The main statement is that "If the plan had been successful, the street price for most pirated DVDs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped."
Again, if the plan had been successful, the supply of these illegal pirate DVDs would have dwindled to almost nothing, and with the same demand, the price would have been very high.
This is true "as long as the drop in the street price for most pirated DVDs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those DVDs"--that is, during the time that supply was dropping, demand also dropped, then this could keep the supply low. We certainly wouldn't expect the demand to drop: people like cheap DVDs, so why would they suddenly stop liking them? Thus, this statement fulfills all the requirements of a condition framed in an "as long as" clause.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

What you said makes perfect sense for why C is right. We need to rule out another reason the price would not have dropped. The demand decreasing would have caused the price to drop, thus ruling it out makes C a good answer.

But what about D? Similar reasoning, increase in domestic production (supply) would have also caused the price to drop. Thus ruling that option out seems it would be just as valuable. But it is not correct? I don't see why.

In short, price dropping can be caused by either demand decreasing or supply increasing. C tackled demand increasing, while D tackled supply increasing. I don't see how 1 is more right/wrong than the other.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
C is the correct choice. According, to me D can be eliminated for the following reason -

D says that the price decreased because supply increased. But, one thing one needs to know, that even if supply has increased, we cannot predict anything regarding the fall or rise in price, because the premises don't give us any information regarding demand. It is important to know that is the demand in pace with supply ? If yes, then price remains constant. If demand increases more then with previous assumed supply, price will increase and vice versa. Thus, here we know only about the supply and nothing about the demand. Thus, D cannot be the answer. C talks about the demand, taking into consideration the constant supply of DVD'S as before, C is the most appropriate answer.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Kudos
SonalSinha803 wrote:
C is the correct choice. According, to me D can be eliminated for the following reason -

D says that the price decreased because supply increased. But, one thing one needs to know, that even if supply has increased, we cannot predict anything regarding the fall or rise in price, because the premises don't give us any information regarding demand. It is important to know that is the demand in pace with supply ? If yes, then price remains constant. If demand increases more then with previous assumed supply, price will increase and vice versa. Thus, here we know only about the supply and nothing about the demand. Thus, D cannot be the answer. C talks about the demand, taking into consideration the constant supply of DVD'S as before, C is the most appropriate answer.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Similar logic can be applied to eliminate c too.....C says that demand reduced but what if the supply at the same time got reduced????

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts