Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Regarding admission criteria [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ideally you want to at least hit a school's average & as Darden shows here in their class profile (https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/com ... s-profile/) their average is 713 so a 600 would be considered pretty low. (Note that the average age is 27 so it sounds like you are likely below that average as well if you only have two years of work experience. They generally prefer 4-5 years since that will allow you to contribute more to class discussions).

That said, GMAT is just one piece of the puzzle. Yes, it's critical to have a strong score but a strong score is not enough to get you in. :) You need to show the impact you've had in your career so far (what measurable results have you had on your org? How have you shown leadership & what was the result, etc), and it's also critical to articulate the impact you hope to have in your career post-MBA. What are your specific career goals & why? What do you hope to accomplish via your ST & LT roles & again WHY? Why is an MBA critical to allowing you to succeed in those goals?

So long story short, yes GMAT is important & you are going to want to try to hit or exceed their average, but it's just one piece of the puzzle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Harikamini wrote:
Hello,

I currently have 2 years+ work experience. I'm planning to take my GMAT exam this July or August. Can anybody please tell me the score i should aim for to get into Darden? Would we get placed if we get a score of 600+? Are there any courses other courses than MBA for Post Graduation in Darden?

Hi There,

I want to be blunt and direct as there's quite a bit of guidance out there that is wishy-washy or reiterates the "holistic view" of business schools. GMAT is a CRITICAL piece of your business school application. Darden is a top school and there are many many qualified applicants. Yes, top business schools look at you holistically, and they admit some sub 600 and quite a few 650-690 GMAT applicants, but do WHATEVER it takes to not be in that category. It's only going to hurt your confidence and may deter some, if not all, top schools from interviewing you.

It's true to say that the GMAT is not the end all be all, but if you put together an application with a score sub 700, it's just going to be THAT much harder to separate yourself in the crowd of talented applicants.

Get going on the GMAT as soon as possible if you haven't aced it already! Do whatever it takes to get 700+ and give yourself at least 1-1.5 months to put together drafts and redrafts of your essays and recommendations. I would give that advice to applicants applying to all top business schools.

Good luck!

Cameron
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UVA Darden Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UVA Darden Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UVA Darden Forum for all fresh things related to the UVA Darden MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts