Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Will low law school GPA hurt my chances? Good gmat, decent ugpa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Khikhi1989 wrote:
Hi all!

I have a 3.3 undergraduate GPA in finance from Ohio State, a 740 GMAT, and a 2.8 law school GPA from a top 14 school in the US. Low gpa was partially because I ended up working during school for family financial reasons. Since graduating from law school, I've had five years of experience as legal counsel at some prominent nonprofits/unions. My goal is to get into management consulting (and hopefully after some years transfer those skills back into the nonprofit sector). Do y'all have thoughts on how the law school GPA will impact my admissions chances? I'm shooting for a top 10 B school.

Thank you!
I don't think that is going to be a huge deal breaker or anything but definitely include this in the optional information. And you'll want to walk a tender balance between convey information and not whining or sounding like you're making excuses. I would offer to them how you will not be working during your MBA sort of let them know that the situation that led to the low GPA is no longer going to be an issue.

https://mbaprepcoach.com
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Will low law school GPA hurt my chances? Good gmat, decent ugpa [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Khikhi1989 wrote:
Hi all!

I have a 3.3 undergraduate GPA in finance from Ohio State, a 740 GMAT, and a 2.8 law school GPA from a top 14 school in the US. Low gpa was partially because I ended up working during school for family financial reasons. Since graduating from law school, I've had five years of experience as legal counsel at some prominent nonprofits/unions. My goal is to get into management consulting (and hopefully after some years transfer those skills back into the nonprofit sector). Do y'all have thoughts on how the law school GPA will impact my admissions chances? I'm shooting for a top 10 B school.

Thank you!

It will play a part, but as stated here by other previously, it is unlikely to be a dealbreaker, even at a top 10 school, due to the rest of your profile.

Addressing it would probably be a good idea, however, and if you are not sure how to do it in the best way (it can be tricky, I know!), remember that you can always get professional help with that part from an admissions consultant.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot