Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 05:38 It is currently 09 May 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Parallelismx   Subject Verb Agreementx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14681 [16]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one problem at a time, and get to the correct answer quickly! First, here is the original question with the major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

(A) that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has
(B) enough has been set aside with which environmental claims can be paid and it will have no longer
(C) it has set aside enough for payment of environmental claims and thus no longer having
(D) enough has been set aside to pay for environmental claims, thus no longer having
(E) it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and will no longer have

After a quick scan over each option, a couple major differences jump out:

1. How they begin: it has set aside enough / enough has been set aside
2. How they end: no longer has / have no longer / no longer having / no longer have

Let's start with #1 on our list: how they begin. Either way we choose to go with this, we will knock out 2-3 answers right away.

The biggest question we have to ask here is, "WHO is setting aside the money?"

it has set aside enough = "it" is clearly referring back to the company --> the company is setting aside the money
enough has been set aside = there is no clear pronoun referring to the company or anyone else --> UNCLEAR who set aside the money!

Therefore, we can eliminate options B & D because they don't clearly say WHO is setting aside the money for later, which is a problem with clarity!

Now that we're left with only 3 options, let's take a look at #2 on our list: how each option ends!

(A) that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has

This is INCORRECT for a couple reasons. First, the word "that" is unnecessary here and sounds redundant. Second, the verb "has" is present tense, which isn't the best choice to indicate future events (using profits and capital to pay claims). If a sentence says they have "hope" that an action will have positive consequences, they're talking about the future, not the present.

(C) it has set aside enough for payment of environmental claims and thus no longer having

This is INCORRECT because it uses the gerund "having" as a verb, which doesn't work here. It also indicates a present tense action, rather than a future one.

(E) it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and will no longer have

This is CORRECT! It's clear that the company set aside the payments, thanks to the pronoun "it." It also uses future tense "will have" to indicate the money will go toward future claims payments!

There you have it - option E is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 13 Sep 2018, 17:07.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 07 May 2019, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment [#permalink]
Divyadisha wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

A) that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has
B) enough has been set aside with which environmental claims can be paid and it will have no longer
C) it has set aside enough for payment of environmental claims and thus no longer having
D) enough has been set aside to pay for environmental claims, thus no longer having
E) it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and will no longer have

1) profits and capital require plural verb 'have'
2) 'The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion' is a fragment sentence followed by 'that', which is not correct.
3) 'Having to' is not right

E is the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUYU26AaV54
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:

(B) enough has been set aside with which environmental claims can be paid and it will have no longer

(D) enough has been set aside to pay for environmental claims, thus no longer having

isn't here 'have' is incorrect?. Shouldn't it be singular verb 'has' here? as the subject is 'The Life and Casualty Company'
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
HasnainAfxal wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

isn't here 'have' is incorrect?. Shouldn't it be singular verb 'has' here? as the subject is 'The Life and Casualty Company'

Hi HasnainAfxal,
The verb tense used in OA is correct. Will have is future perfect tense and Will + has is incorrect.

Future perfect tense indicates that an action will have been completed (finished or "perfected") at some point in the future.

1. A Republican president will have been in the White House for nearly half of the twenty-first century.
2. By 2025, China will have surpassed the USA as the world's largest economy.

Hope this helps!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Why E is correct? The company hopes....., It has set aside...... I see two independent clause with only one comma to seperate them.
Please help, thanks
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vivickytian1212 wrote:
Why E is correct? The company hopes....., It has set aside...... I see two independent clause with only one comma to seperate them.
Please help, thanks

Hi vivickytian1212, there is a that in between.

The company hopes that....it has set aside....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
EducationAisle

I was wondering why 2 independent clauses are just connected by a comma in option E.

I dont agree with that "it has..." is a dependent clause marked by subordinating conjunction "that". This is the first time I ever see a question like this. Why would we need a comma in choice E if without comma it makes more sense that the 2nd part is a subordinating clause?

It would make even more sense if "by increasing..." was enclosed with commas. Is "by increasing..." actually modifies "hopes" so to show that it modifies previous verb we put a comma there?

Is this similar situation to "and" + VERB-ING modifier placement of commas to refer to the 1st part or the 2nd part of the sentence modifying.

Thank you
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Brego wrote:
I don't agree with that "it has..." is a dependent clause marked by subordinating conjunction "that".

Actually the presence of that (used as a conjunction here) makes the portion after that, a dependent clause.

Quote:
This is the first time I ever see a question like this.

Perhaps, the following simple sentence would help:

Michael hopes that by working hard, he will be able to score well.

This is a completely valid sentence. Option E has a construct very similar to the above sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
HasnainAfxal wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

Hi HasnainAfxal,
The verb tense used in OA is correct. Will have is future perfect tense and Will + has is incorrect.

Future perfect tense indicates that an action will have been completed (finished or "perfected") at some point in the future.

1. A Republican president will have been in the White House for nearly half of the twenty-first century.
2. By 2025, China will have surpassed the USA as the world's largest economy.

Hope this helps!! :)

Skywalker18 - Thanks.
The use of the "future perfect" here has been really confusing me. My understanding was that for us to use future perfect there should be 2 related events in the future, where the earlier of the 2 events is expressed in "future perfect". This does not apply to this example, as there is only one event in the future.

What am I missing? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 829
Send PM
The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment [#permalink]
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
The Life and Casualty Company[/highlight] hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

Skywalker18 - Thanks.
The use of the "future perfect" here has been really confusing me. My understanding was that for us to use future perfect there should be 2 related events in the future, where the earlier of the 2 events is expressed in "future perfect". This does not apply to this example, as there is only one event in the future.

What am I missing? :)

Hello,

I am no expert, but I think the usage of “bit by bit, year by year” makes the use of future perfect tense “will no longer have to” preferable.
Maybe GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo mikemcgarry EducationAisle Skywalker18 will be able to exlain it better that why future perfect tense is used here without a second future event.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NischalSR wrote:
I am no expert, but I think the usage of “bit by bit, year by year” makes the use of future perfect tense “will no longer have to” preferable.

I don't believe the correct option (option E) is using future perfect tense at all!

From what I know, future perfect tense has the following structure: will + have + past participle

...it will no longer have to use its profits... does not have a past participle.

An example of future perfect tense would be:

I will have left by the time you arrive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:

Hi VeritasKarishma EducationAisle

I know we already have meaning issue with option B as it does not clarify who has set aside enough money, and we can use this to eliminate B; however, I wanted to check can we also eliminate B because of comma splice error, It is joining two IC with "and" without using comma (,) "Enough has been set aside..." and "it will no longer have to.."
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
I know we already have meaning issue with option B as it does not clarify who has set aside enough money, and we can use this to eliminate B; however, I wanted to check can we also eliminate B because of comma splice error, It is joining two IC with "and" without using comma (,) "Enough has been set aside..." and "it will no longer have to.."

Hi Rohit, comma splice is when two ICs are connected by just a comma.

In other words, there is no "coordinating conjunction" in case of a comma splice.

Since coordinating conjunction "and" is used in B, it is technically not a "comma splice".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
RohitSaluja wrote:

Hi Rohit, comma splice is when two ICs are connected by just a comma.

In other words, there is no "coordinating conjunction" in case of a comma splice.

Since coordinating conjunction "and" is used in B, it is technically not a "comma splice".

Hi EducationAisle, I guess i am not well versed with terminonology, sorry about that, but while using FANBOYS, isn't it mandatory to use a comma before the conjunction if that conjunction is used to connect two IC as is the case here?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [2]
Send PM
Kudos