It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 02:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Re: The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 06:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

A) that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has
B) enough has been set aside with which environmental claims can be paid and it will have no longer
C) it has set aside enough for payment of environmental claims and thus no longer having
D) enough has been set aside to pay for environmental claims, thus no longer having
E) it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and will no longer have

Analysis:

A clear question of parallelism. The Life and Casualty Company by increasing…., The Life and Casualty Company has set…..and will no longer.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 10:58
Expert's post
Top Contributor
C in its full expansion

C) The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, it has set aside enough for payment of environmental claims and thus no longer having to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

The basic problem with C is that the highlighted part is an unparallel fragment, with a verbed clause on the left of the conjunction 'and'' and a verb-less modifier phrase on the right.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 03:12
daagh sir!

Could you please explain what is wrong with option D

D) enough has been set aside to pay for environmental claims, thus no longer having

The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, enough has been set aside to pay for environmental claims, thus no longer having to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

Kudos for a correct solution :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 01:20
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

A) that it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and no longer has
B) enough has been set aside with which environmental claims can be paid and it will have no longer
C) it has set aside enough for payment of environmental claims and thus no longer having
E) it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and will no longer have

I understood the meaning and selected E . However one issue which I felt is not addressed is the use of comma after 1.2 billion. The sentence before comma is not an independent sentence. Can we use comma after an dependent sentence? Please someone put some light on this.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 19:50
gmat4varun wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

I understood the meaning and selected E . However one issue which I felt is not addressed is the use of comma after 1.2 billion. The sentence before comma is not an independent sentence. Can we use comma after an dependent sentence? Please someone put some light on this.

The Life and Casualty Company Subject
hopes Verb
that The word “that” can be used as a subordinate conjunction, that is, as a word that marks the beginning of a dependent clause.  The dependent clause, like any clause, would have a full [noun] + [verb] structure(Copied from Magoosh)
by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion Modifier
, Modifier comma
it Subject Subordinate clause
has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and will no longer have to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year verb +object Subordinate clause.

Hope this helps.

Also follow this article to decipher the mystery of that. https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sent ... s-of-that/

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 19:57
Divyadisha wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

1) profits and capital require plural verb 'have'
2) 'The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion' is a fragment sentence followed by 'that', which is not correct.
3) 'Having to' is not right

E is the answer

Not sure if I agree with your understanding " profits and capital require plural verb 'have' ". The subject is "it" and not profits and capital. the have is used because of will.

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Verbal Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 15:42
origen87 wrote:
daagh sir!

Could you please explain what is wrong with option D

The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, enough has been set aside to pay for environmental claims, thus no longer having to use its profits and capital to pay those claims bit by bit, year by year.

Hello, origen87 - Please check out below explanation.

The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion

In D the challenge is that the word "Enough" cannot be the subject in this case. Check the verb "set aside", which will refer back to "enough" as its subject also the "it" followed by "use" will also refer back to "enough" which is completely illogical.

Now in order to fix this problem, we need a subject to this sentence, and the usage of "it" will fix this problem.

Hope this is clear.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Intern
Intern
B
The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 12:39
sayantanc2k - I have had to choose between A and E but i went for A,
Please help me understand what is wrong here,
I was 90% inclined towards E because of year by year and it needs will, the reason i went for A was because at the end of the underlined sentence it has been mentioned that it no longer has to use its profits

Who is not going to use its profits and capital to pay those claims? The company ----> Company is singular and thus i chose A.

Naive question but still a little confused with the SV Agreement.
Intern
Intern
B
The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 03:58
As in answer D, what i understand is "having to" is a gerund form of "have to", what's wrong here is that: "having to" has no correct subject to modify (it talks about the company, not the "enough has been set aside", no longer has to do something) . Is my logic correct?

And I have a question, can "enough" stands alone like that, working as a pronoun (refer back to 1,2 billion)? or it's an error here since it needs a noun following it?

Thanks in advance.

I can. I will.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 03:24
EducationAisle wrote:
RK84 wrote:
If we change the option C to :" thus no longer have " will that be correct then ?

Hi RK84, perhaps you meant: thus no longer has.

The thing is that on a stand-alone basis, it is hard to differentiate between enough for payment of environmental claims (option C) and enough to pay for environmental claims (option E).

However, here, there is a clue in the sentence, in the non-underlined portion: ....use its profits and capital to pay those claims......

Hence, for similarity of structure (one could call in parallelism), it would be better to use to pay (for environmental claims) in the underlined portion as well.

Hence, E would in any case, be better.

Hi.

Thanks for your help over the last few days!

1. Option (B).

The company hopes that (by increasing its environmental fund reserves), enough has been set aside with which environmental claims can be paid and it will have no longer to use its profits and capital.

Here are my reasons for elimination of Option B.

a. with which environmental claims can be paid IS AN UNNECESSARILY WORDY.

b. IT - refers back to enough and wrongly seems to suggest that ENOUGH will no longer have to use its profits.

c. it will have no longer to pay INSTEAD OF it will no longer have to pay.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 03:35
Hi parthjain68, also enough has been set aside is a passive voice construct. So, option B does not explicitly mention who has set aside enough.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 12:27
How option E can be the right answer as in option E two independent clauses are joined without FANBOYS.
Can anyone explain what i am missing in this question??
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 22:46
nitin1989 wrote:
How option E can be the right answer as in option E two independent clauses are joined without FANBOYS.
Can anyone explain what i am missing in this question??

Hi Nitin, with Option E, the sentence is:

The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environmental fund revenues to $1.2 billion, it has set aside enough to pay for environmental claims and will no longer have....

The above sentence is similar to the following correct sentence:

Peter said that he would work hard.

Not getting bogged down by semantics and grammar, you could just remember this as a rule that any clause starting with that is not an Independent clause.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 22:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

The Life and Casualty Company hopes that by increasing its environment

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap