Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8533 [118]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [18]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [14]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Send PM
Re: India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine: Indian fo [#permalink]
Kudos
A. with each a product of their - Thier - India is singular ----->
Of course "their" cannot refer to India. However 'styles' is plural.

If "their" refers to styles then -
styles' regional influences is nonsensical. Since "styles of cooking" is a product of regional influences.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine: Indian fo [#permalink]
Kudos
nusmavrik wrote:
Indian food comprises many f, modifier, from the fiery x to the Portuguese-influenced y, to the more familiar z

A and B don't modify the "styles of cooking" properly. "styles of cooking" is a product of regional influences.
each a product --> correct
each products ---> wrong

A. with each a product of their >> modifier issue
B. with each as a product of its >> modifier issue
C. each products of their >> each is singular.
D. each a product of >> Answer
E. each products of >> each is singular

My reasoning goes exactly the same as yours .. so D for me too ..

I differ from you on one thing ... highlighted in bold above ... I feel "Indian food" is a product of regional influences and not "styles of cooking" ... so A and B don't have to modify "styles of cooking" .. they have to modify "Indian food", which there are not doing .. hence both of 'em are wrong ..
correct me if I am wrong ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Yeah, may be wrong. Just threw that from the keyboard LOL. But also see this post
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mba ... t1196.html

:-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
A. with each a product of their
B. with each as a product of its ??
C. each products of their
D. each a product of
E. each products of
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I am a non-native English speaker and I have trouble understanding that why "each" is modifying "styles of cooking" but not "cooking" itself?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rohitmanglik wrote:
I am a non-native English speaker and I have trouble understanding that why "each" is modifying "styles of cooking" but not "cooking" itself?

It's similar to: There are 30 students in the class, each uniquely talented.

Here, "each" would modify "students", not "class", because from the meaning of the sentence, it is not saying that "each class" is uniquely talented.

Similarly, from the meaning of this sentence, each style is a product of regional influences.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine: Indian fo [#permalink]
Hi Expert,

I choose the correct answer but I'm not sure whether my reason is valid.

A. "With" is incorrect & their is incorrect because it refers to India.
B. "With" is incorrect
C. "their" is incorrect because it refers to India.
D. Correct
E. products (it need to be product to correspond with each)

Please provide explanation on this question.

Thank you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Can experts please help me understand why the use of "with" is wrong in options A and B.

One thing I know is, "with + comma" modifies the previous clause.
As per my understanding, modifying a clause is same as --> proper reference to verb and the subject of previous clause.

However, I am facing difficulty in relating the above logic to this question.
Your help will be really appreciated.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [12]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
"With" isn't really necessary in A and B. Since we are talking about nouns (cooking styles), it doesn't really make sense to try to modify the verb or clause. However, both A and B are wrong for other reasons. In A, "their" (plural) does not agree with "each" (singular). In B, it's not clear what the "as" means. There's no comparison or role to indicate. Each style is a product of its regional influences.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: IIMA IIMB IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Can i say "each of which is a product of regional influences"
or
"each is a product of regional influences"
or
"each of them is a product of regional influences"
or
"all products of regional influences"?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
1) Yes, that works well.

2 and 3) These are independent clauses, so we'd need a semicolon first. (Outside of SC, we might also start a new sentence here.)

4) I don't see any reason to forbid this, but it feels less clear, perhaps because "all products" could serve as the subject of a new clause if the meaning were different. (E.g. "All products of regional influences are also connected by larger national influences.") This makes it a bit more confusing to read.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Can someone please explain it in detail?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine: Indian fo [#permalink]
Can anyone explain this?

Clause 1: Indian food comprises many different styles of cooking,

Clause 2: each a product of regional influences, from the fiery vegetarian dishes of the south to the Portuguese-influenced Goan cooking of the west, to the more familiar Mogul food of the north.

there is no connector between clauses in the sentence..... doesn't it look like a run-on sentence.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rupeshnverbal wrote:
Clause 2: each a product of regional influences, from the fiery vegetarian dishes of the south to the Portuguese-influenced Goan cooking of the west, to the more familiar Mogul food of the north.

Hi Rupesh, this is not a clause, since there is no verb. Hence, the sentence is not a run-on sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
rupeshnverbal wrote:

Hi Rupesh, this is not a clause, since there is no verb. Hence, the sentence is not a run-on sentence.

Yeah, you are right ......I got confused with "influences".
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
1) Yes, that works well.

2 and 3) These are independent clauses, so we'd need a semicolon first. (Outside of SC, we might also start a new sentence here.)

4) I don't see any reason to forbid this, but it feels less clear, perhaps because "all products" could serve as the subject of a new clause if the meaning were different. (E.g. "All products of regional influences are also connected by larger national influences.") This makes it a bit more confusing to read.

Dear DmitryFarber,

This question was a cakewalk for me as I got D in seconds, having studied the Modifier Chapter in MGMAT SC Book.

But still I've few doubts-

a) In B, 'its' can refer logically to 'INDIA' only IMO, but is it because the two ICs are joined by 'colon' instead of 'semi-colon' ??

b) Also I've almost every-time seen using 'with....' as an 'adverbial modifier' so in correct option D 'each...' indeed modifies 'many styles of cooking'. Using 'with....' in A & B makes the 'with .....' modifier modify the 'entire clause' or the verb 'comprises', which doesn't make sense. [btw sorry for incorrect usage of which :shh: ] So, is my reasoning right here??

c) Like you said 'As' in B is not clear, in that what is it used for - 1) No comparison, 2) No explanation(because/since), 3) No parallel-timing(while), & 4) Not as- In the capacity of(in the role of)
I double you with this point!!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Lithium wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:
1) Yes, that works well.

Dear DmitryFarber,

This question was a cakewalk for me as I got D in seconds, having studied the Modifier Chapter in MGMAT SC Book.

But still I've 2 doubts-

a) In B, 'its' can refer logically to 'INDIA' only IMO, but you sited it wrong. Is it because the two ICs are joined by 'colon' instead of 'semi-colon' ??

b) Also I've almost every-time seen using 'with....' as an 'adverbial modifier' and in correct option D 'each...' indeed modifies 'many styles of cooking'. So, using 'with....' in A & B makes the 'with .....' modifier modify the 'entire clause' or the verb 'comprises', which doesn't make sense. [btw sorry for incorrect usage of which :shh: ] So, is my reasoning right here??

Finally, like you said 'As' in B is not clear, in that what is it used for - 1) No comparison, 2) No explanation(because/since), 3) No parallel-timing(while), & 4) Not as- In the capacity of(in the role of)
I double you with this point!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts