Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 18:36 It is currently 04 May 2024, 18:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1471 [17]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621219 [0]
Given Kudos: 81745
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: Myrna: People should follow diets in which fat represents no more than [#permalink]
DavidTutorexamPAL why C is wrong ?
If we negate it the argument falls apart
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Myrna: People should follow diets in which fat represents no more than [#permalink]
teaserbae wrote:
DavidTutorexamPAL why C is wrong ?
If we negate it the argument falls apart

Diet happens to be the topic for discussion, but the two speakers are not deciding over which factors are important in extending ones life, i.e. they talk in the context of diet.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Please help me understand why C is not the correct option here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Myrna: People should follow diets in which fat represents no more than [#permalink]
vikasp99 wrote:
Myrna: People should follow diets in which fat represents no more than 30 percent of total calories, not the 37 percent the average diet in this country contains.

Roland: If everyone in the country followed you recommendation during his or her entire life, just 0.2 percent would lengthen their live at all, and then only by an average of 3 months. Modifying our diet is not worthwhile. A lifetime of sacrifice spent eating an unappealing low-fat diet is too high a price to pay for the chance of extending that sacrifice for 3 months.

Myrna: But for everyone who dies early from a high-fat diet, many more people suffer from serious chronic diseases because they followed such diets.

Roland's argument assumes that

(A) it is desirable to live in such a way as to length life as much as possible

(B) a low-fat diet cannot readily be made appealing and satisfying to a person who follows it regularly

(C) diet is the only relevant factor to consider in computing influences on length of life

(D) the difference in tastiness between a diet in which fat represents 30 percent of total calories and one in which it represents 37 percent is not noticeable

(E) not everyone in the country eats the average diet

Source: LSAT

Could someone explain why C is incorrect? I understand that the extreme of "...only relevant factor..." could make it an incorrect choice, but nevertheless, I don't see how B is making a better assumption.

In answer B, I can't find a reference to "satisfying" food. Roland only mentions the "appealing" part of the low-fat diet. But even then, the premise and his main conclusion focus on life expectancy rather than the appeal of the food.

Originally posted by yvankd on 24 May 2019, 08:03.
Last edited by yvankd on 24 May 2019, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
The first thing that we need to know is that it is an inference question to Roland's argument. In this case, Roland argues, it is not worth it to sacrifice an appealing diet with only a three more month length of life.
So we need to look for the answer which supports the joy of food tastiness and does not support the low fat diet in the sacrifice for a short time of living.

(A) it is desirable to live in such a way as to length life as much as possible => It is part of Myrna's point of view, not Roland.

(B) a low-fat diet cannot readily be made appealing and satisfying to a person who follows it regularly => This choice support Roland's opinion. So it is a correct answer.

(C) diet is the only relevant factor to consider in computing influences on length of life. => Noone states that diet is the only factor.

(D) the difference in tastiness between a diet in which fat represents 30 percent of total calories and one in which it represents 37 percent is not noticeable. => this answer is totally different from Roland's argument. Roland supported that the high fat diet is significantly tastier than the regular diet, so that it is not worth sacrificing.

(E) not everyone in the country eats the average diet => Not relevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [2]
Given Kudos: 1036
Send PM
Kudos
Trap answer. This is Myrna's argument.

(B) a low-fat diet cannot readily be made appealing and satisfying to a person who follows it regularly
This justifies Roland's argument. If a low-fat diet cannot be made appealing, than there's truly no point in sacrificing the appealing, high-fat diet, only to lengthen one's life by an average of 3 months.

(C) diet is the only relevant factor to consider in computing influences on length of life
This is out of scope. Both Myrna and Roland are discussing diet and how it effect's one's length of life. We're not concerned with anything that may or may not effect one's length of life in this scenario.

(D) the difference in tastiness between a diet in which fat represents 30 percent of total calories and one in which it represents 37 percent is not noticeable
This would actually discredit Roland's argument. If the difference in taste is unnoticeable, than one would choose the healthier alternative without question.

This is irrelevant. By saying "average" we know that some are above that and some are below that.

The correct answer is answer choice B.

Please give kudos if this was helpful in any way!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 992
Send PM

(A) it is desirable to live in such a way as to length life as much as possible --> This is exactly the reverse of what Roland assumes. Wrong.

(B) a low-fat diet cannot readily be made appealing and satisfying to a person who follows it regularly --> If we negate this, the argument falls apart. Correct.

(C) diet is the only relevant factor to consider in computing influences on length of life. --> Ronald is not worried about ways to compute length of life. Wrong.

(D) the difference in tastiness between a diet in which fat represents 30 percent of total calories and one in which it represents 37 percent is not noticeable --> Reverse is true for Roland. Wrong.

(E) not everyone in the country eats the average diet --> Negate it. Still argument holds. Wrong.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
Myrna: People should follow diets in which fat represents no more than [#permalink]
vikasp99 wrote:
Myrna: People should follow diets in which fat represents no more than 30 percent of total calories, not the 37 percent the average diet in this country contains.

Roland: If everyone in the country followed you recommendation during his or her entire life, just 0.2 percent would lengthen their live at all, and then only by an average of 3 months. Modifying our diet is not worthwhile. A lifetime of sacrifice spent eating an unappealing low-fat diet is too high a price to pay for the chance of extending that sacrifice for 3 months.

Myrna: But for everyone who dies early from a high-fat diet, many more people suffer from serious chronic diseases because they followed such diets.

Source: LSAT

Hi GMATNinja AjiteshArun ,

Although I got the correct answer, I took longer to answer the question.
Ans choice B was something I pre-thought, but when I cross checked with the conclusion, it took me longer to analyse.

Can anyone help me in identifying whether my deconstruction of Roland argument is correct?

Here's what I think.

PREMISE -If everyone in the country followed you recommendation during his or her entire life,

INTERMEDIATE CONCLUSION- just 0.2 percent would lengthen their live at all, and then only by an average of 3 months.

CONCLUSION -Modifying our diet is not worthwhile.

PREMISE -A lifetime of sacrifice spent eating an unappealing low-fat diet is too high a price to pay for the chance of extending that sacrifice for 3 months.

Ahmed

Originally posted by Ahmed9955 on 06 Sep 2022, 23:33.
Last edited by Ahmed9955 on 06 Sep 2022, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1822 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM