Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [2]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [3]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is [#permalink]
Kudos
EducationAisle wrote:

However, what will conclusively prove that this official explanation is incorrect, is if we could locate a correct official example where the present participial phrase modifies the subject of the immediate preceding non-restrictive clause. Would you agree?

I could not locate such example. Curious to know if you (or someone else reading this post) has come across such an example.

Dear Ashish,

Here is such officially correct answer:

Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

You can see that “comma + slowing” modifies the closest action “was colder and wetter” and its performer “weather = which”.
Conveyed meaning: the weather - which was colder and wetter than usual - was consequently responsible for the action in red (SLOWING the SALES of barbecue grills).

Please, take a look at very helpful elucidations from GMATGuruNY here and RonPurewal here.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [5]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
RaunaqSinghPunn wrote:
Cant seem to decipher why C is incorrect?
Moreover, the answers from other experts are favoring both C & E.

Here's the full sentence using choice (C):

"A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on the same site, (C) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one."

Part of the problem is that, at first glance, "overlooking" seems to modify "site". This is a confusing, since we commonly use "site" and "overlooking" together, but in a totally different context: "The billionaire wants to build his next mansion on a site overlooking the Malibu coastline." But in this case, it doesn't make sense to say that the site itself is overlooking anything.

The other issue is idiomatic. "Overlooking" is generally followed by a noun. For example, "I blamed my failure on my boss, overlooking the possibility that it was my own fault."

Choice (E) avoids both of these issues, and that's why it's the correct answer.

daagh wrote:

Are GMAT Advanced questions really from GMAC or are they outsourced?

Brother daagh, I wouldn't be surprised if you've already looked into this, but the GMAT Advanced Questions really are from the GMAT. The explanations in the book were definitely outsourced, though, and so was the categorization of the questions. So if, for example, an SC question in that book is labeled as "communication", that label didn't come directly from GMAC.

Strange, but apparently true. :idontknow:

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma, i have a question wrt option C. Since overlooking is coming after comma , soesn't this mean overlooking is referring to the subject of the previous clause...in this case a natural response means a natural response is overlooking the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one. How can it refer to site?

comma + verb-ing modifier at the end of the sentence modifies the previous action. So the action of "rebuilding on the same site" leads to overlooking the fact that the same thing could happen again. No problems there.

The only reason I would prefer (E) is this:
"overlook" is always used with an object hence I would prefer "overlooking the fact that ..." It just rolls off easier that way.
On the other hand, "consider" can be used with or without an object. It is common to use "Have you considered that ... " etc.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [4]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one thing at a time, and narrow down our options quickly so we know how to answer questions like this when they pop up on the GMAT! To begin, let's take a quick look at the question and highlight any major differences between the options in orange:

A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on the same site, overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated.

(A) overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated
(B) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated
(C) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one
(D) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated
(E) without considering that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another such disaster

After a quick glance over the options, there are a couple areas we can focus on:

1. overlooking the possibility / overlooking / without considering (Redundancy/Clarity)
2. how each option ends (Meaning)

Let's start with #1 on our list: Redundancy & Clarity. Since the word "could" shows up later in every option, it's actually redundant to add in the word "possibility" too. The word "could" covers the idea that this is a hypothetical statement - you don't need to say it more than once. So let's eliminate options A & B because they're redundant.

Now that we have it narrowed down to 3 options, let's look at each one more closely to make sure they convey the correct meaning. Here is the intended meaning we're going for:

Communities are hit with earthquake or flood -- they insist on rebuilding damaged buildings in same place -- they don't look at what caused the damage -- another flood or earthquake could cause another disaster or more damage

Let's see how each options conveys this, and eliminate those that don't convey it correctly:

(C) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one

This is INCORRECT because the word "overlooking" is problematic. First, the word "overlooking" can refer to both people not paying attention and the view you might have at, say, a building site. People might accidentally think "overlooking" is referring back to "site." Second, the phrase "overlooking that" isn't idiomatically correct. So let's rule this one out.

This is INCORRECT because it doesn't convey the intended meaning. We're not concerned with the forces repeating - we're worried that the disasters will repeat.

(E) without considering that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another such disaster

That leaves us with our CORRECT choice! This sentence conveys the intended meaning clearly!

There you have it - option E is our correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 429
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Bookmarks
, verb+ing modifies the whole preceding clause.
In this case option C does that (though option C is wrong for other reason).
With this background, can option C be correct, if we replace another one with "another such disaster" ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
prashantppp wrote:
, verb+ing modifies the whole preceding clause.
In this case option C does that (though option C is wrong for other reason).
With this background, can option C be correct, if we replace another one with "another such disaster" ?

I'm sure that you've seen this before in our posts, but here it comes again: GMAT SC is NOT about looking at individual sentences and deciding whether they are wrong or right. Instead, your job is to select the BEST answer choice out of the five available options. As soon as you start tweaking answer choices and trying to decide whether the tweaked versions are wrong or right, you are playing a very difficult and dangerous game -- one that you'll NEVER have to play on test day.

All we have to do here is understand why choice (E) is better than choice (C). Even if we replace "another one" with "another such disaster", we still have all of the issues described in this post.

But, again, don't drive yourself nuts analyzing tweaked versions of the answer choices. GMAC spends a lot of time and money crafting those choices, and it's best to stick with them as written. :)

I hope this helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is [#permalink]
A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on the same site, overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated.

(A) overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated

Hi, Dear IanStewart!

of course, in (A), usage of possibility and could in the same place is redundant, and it is also used wrongly.

But my question is that is the usage of passive tense wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence?

In (E), the emphasis is on the events, such as flood or earthquake, that forces cause
In (A), the emphasis is on forces themselves, changing the meaning and making choice (A) wrong

Could you please give your opinion on my reasoning?
Thank you very much beforehand!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ilhomjon98 wrote:
of course, in (A), usage of possibility and could in the same place is redundant, and it is also used wrongly.

But my question is that is the usage of passive tense wrong because it changes the meaning of the sentence?

In (E), the emphasis is on the events, such as flood or earthquake, that forces cause
In (A), the emphasis is on forces themselves, changing the meaning and making choice (A) wrong

Could you please give your opinion on my reasoning?
Thank you very much beforehand!

There are a few problems with answer A. I agree that the passive verb is strange. I'm not precisely sure what "the forces could be repeated" even means in English. Answer E improves on that. Answer E also changes the meaning to something that makes more sense -- in E it's the natural disaster, not "the forces", that might happen again, and the communities in question presumably care more about whether a disaster recurs, not just the forces potentially causing a disaster. In A it's also not clear what "overlooking" and "it" refer back to, so there are modifier and pronoun issues. I don't even care for the word "overlooking" in A, since it can sound like the site "overlooks" something, the way a cliffside house might "overlook the ocean".

The redundancy in A is not decisive for me. It's sometimes perfectly fine to use both "possibility" and "could" together, because when a sentence wants to emphasize that something is merely possible, and thus wants to use "possibility" as a subject for a verb, then logically that verb often needs to be "could". In general, if two words appear redundant in a sentence, then when the sentence would be improved by deleting one of them, you should prefer to delete one of them. But when the sentence would become unclear or nonsensical if you did that, then redundancy can be acceptable (you might notice that the correct answer here, E, appears to redundantly repeat "disaster" at the end, but that redundancy helps to ensure the sentence avoids any pronoun reference errors).

I'd also say that both A and E place their emphasis on "the forces", because in both, that's the subject of the verb. E draws more attention to the events simply by repeating the word "disaster", but "forces" is still the subject of the second clause. But I don't see a problem with emphasizing "forces" in this sentence, and regardless, with these answer options, we don't have a choice about it anyway.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
RaunaqSinghPunn wrote:

"A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on the same site, (C) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one."

Part of the problem is that, at first glance, "overlooking" seems to modify "site". This is a confusing, since we commonly use "site" and "overlooking" together, but in a totally different context: "The billionaire wants to build his next mansion on a site overlooking the Malibu coastline." But in this case, it doesn't make sense to say that the site itself is overlooking anything.

The other issue is idiomatic. "Overlooking" is generally followed by a noun. For example, "I blamed my failure on my boss, overlooking the possibility that it was my own fault."

daagh wrote:

Brother daagh, I wouldn't be surprised if you've already looked into this, but the GMAT Advanced Questions really are from the GMAT. The explanations in the book were definitely outsourced, though, and so was the categorization of the questions. So if, for example, an SC question in that book is labeled as "communication", that label didn't come directly from GMAC.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma, i have a question wrt option C. Since overlooking is coming after comma , soesn't this mean overlooking is referring to the subject of the previous clause...in this case a natural response means a natural response is overlooking the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one. How can it refer to site?

comma + verb-ing modifier at the end of the sentence modifies the previous action. So the action of "rebuilding on the same site" leads to overlooking the fact that the same thing could happen again. No problems there.

"overlook" is always used with an object hence I would prefer "overlooking the fact that ..." It just rolls off easier that way.
On the other hand, "consider" can be used with or without an object. It is common to use "Have you considered that ... " etc.

VeritasKarishma
Thank you so much for explaining it precisely. But I have a doubt here regarding the usage of overlooking that. While I was analysing the option C, I was re-reading it as "overlooking the fact that ...." and I thought it is understood here that "the fact" is elided here. Can you explain if this line of thinking is wrong, and also confirm if such options may not be considered correct.
Also in the context of this question, should we go ahead with option E simply because we have a better and clear option, without the need to think of any assumptions of ellipsis as in case of option C?
TIA
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN Sir

I was confused between C and E.

Quote:

Here is my confusion:

From e-gmat concept, I learnt that :
Quote:
1. COMMA + verb-ing modifier—> modifies the preceding clause.Example: The engineer identified the problem, using the latest technology. (as you cited)
2. Verb-ing modifier ONLY ——> modifies the preceding NOUN or NOUN PHRASE only

But in these options, I found all have same structure, so moved on to look another difference
Another one : one could refer to disaster .

Now only the difference left was overlooking vs without consideration. Here I was falter.
I couldn’t explain find reason to reject E and chose C considering short and concise option.

After reading the explanation , I realized I missed this key information .

GMATNinja :
Quote:
The other issue is idiomatic. "Overlooking" is generally followed by a noun.

I needed to use my ear sound to find out that I never heard before “overlooking that”. But I don’t want ear sound reason to reject any option.

So could you please help me out in what scenarios I can find out that noun must be followed after verb+ing.
Or other reason that can help to choose E and reject C with confidence.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Hi AndrewN Sir

I was confused between C and E.

Quote:

Here is my confusion:

From e-gmat concept, I learnt that :
Quote:
1. COMMA + verb-ing modifier—> modifies the preceding clause.Example: The engineer identified the problem, using the latest technology. (as you cited)
2. Verb-ing modifier ONLY ——> modifies the preceding NOUN or NOUN PHRASE only

But in these options, I found all have same structure, so moved on to look another difference
Another one : one could refer to disaster .

Now only the difference left was overlooking vs without consideration. Here I was falter.
I couldn’t explain find reason to reject E and chose C considering short and concise option.

After reading the explanation , I realized I missed this key information .

GMATNinja :
Quote:
The other issue is idiomatic. "Overlooking" is generally followed by a noun.

I needed to use my ear sound to find out that I never heard before “overlooking that”. But I don’t want ear sound reason to reject any option.

So could you please help me out in what scenarios I can find out that noun must be followed after verb+ing.
Or other reason that can help to choose E and reject C with confidence.

In all honesty, imSKR, I have little insight to add to what has been outlined already by others. Overlooking that is simply used incorrectly, for just the reasons explained above. This is a case that is probably better understood as a one-off, a scenario that is not likely to repeat at a high enough frequency to warrant anything other than memorization.

I am glad you arrived at the correct conclusion, even if your ear led you there. (I chose (E) for clarity, since I rarely think in terms of idioms.)

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gokul20 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
RaunaqSinghPunn wrote:

daagh wrote:

VeritasKarishma
Thank you so much for explaining it precisely. But I have a doubt here regarding the usage of overlooking that. While I was analysing the option C, I was re-reading it as "overlooking the fact that ...." and I thought it is understood here that "the fact" is elided here. Can you explain if this line of thinking is wrong, and also confirm if such options may not be considered correct.
Also in the context of this question, should we go ahead with option E simply because we have a better and clear option, without the need to think of any assumptions of ellipsis as in case of option C?
TIA

There are options that mention "overlooking the possibility that..." So when the author misses it in one option, I know that it is deliberate.
When you have a clearer, better option, why would you make do with something that is definitely lacking?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATGuruNY,

To understand the usage of the present participle modifier and preposition + present participle modifier.
MGMAT guide quotes that both need to make sense with the preceding subject except the infinitive which can appear at the end with unnamed agents (passive voice)
Yet i learnt a few nuances on their usage from page 2 of this thread and have a few questions.

Q1) Does "without considering" (Prep + ing) need to make sense with the Subject and modify both subject + verb like the ING.
Q2) Is "overlooking" incorrect in the other choices because the agent of "to rebuild" is unclear and not the implied communities?

Thanks for your response in advance
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos