GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 27 Jun 2019, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 282
Location: Orange County, CA
A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Sep 2018, 01:59
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (01:21) correct 60% (01:32) wrong based on 178 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on the same site, overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated.

(a) overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated
(b) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated
(c) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one
(d) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated
(e) withouth considering that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another such disaster

Originally posted by misterJJ2u on 19 Jun 2007, 15:44.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Sep 2018, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 48
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2007, 17:17
1
misterJJ2u wrote:
A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on teh same site, overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated.

(b) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated
(c) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one
(d) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated
(e) withouth considering that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another such disaster


B: "IT" is incorrect
C: "Another one" of what? Site? Disaster?
D: Forces getting repeated will not necessarily cause the disaster again.
E: Correct
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 88
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2007, 18:58
Why is 'IT' incorrect here? Could someone explain the modifier problem here ?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 553
Location: Kuwait
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2007, 17:08
1
The use of the pronoun "It" is incorrect along the answer choices, which leaves us with C and E.

I prefer C to E as E is wordy.

MY ANSWER: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 315
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2007, 09:07
eliminate B&D.
not C, because overlooking what??
left with A &E
E is wordy, in A 'it' is ambiguous
best to go with E
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 243
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2007, 13:16
E. even though it is wordy. It has clear referents.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 08:13
1
The problem with this question could also be solved by looking at the meaning and removing the useless parts in the answer choices (an approached highlighted by e-GMAT).

Take a look at
A) overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated. - forces could be repeated?? doesnt make sense
B) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated. - Again similar error as A
D) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated. - Again similar error as A

As for C, overlooking "that the" is wrong, one always overlooks something. Essentially "that" is not needed here.

Therefore. E is correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2871
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 04:33
1
usaidmandvia wrote:
The problem with this question could also be solved by looking at the meaning and removing the useless parts in the answer choices (an approached highlighted by e-GMAT).

Take a look at
A) overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated. - forces could be repeated?? doesnt make sense
B) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated. - Again similar error as A
D) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated. - Again similar error as A

As for C, overlooking "that the" is wrong, one always overlooks something. Essentially "that" is not needed here.

Therefore. E is correct answer.

Hope this helps.


No, this is not a solid reason to eliminate C. That "something" you mentioned could as well be a "that" clause. I do not see any solid reason to eliminate C. (The pronoun "one" correctly refers to "disaster" by virtue of parallelism.)

This question does not seem to be from an authentic source.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 04:51
1
sayantanc2k wrote:
usaidmandvia wrote:
The problem with this question could also be solved by looking at the meaning and removing the useless parts in the answer choices (an approached highlighted by e-GMAT).

Take a look at
A) overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated. - forces could be repeated?? doesnt make sense
B) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated. - Again similar error as A
D) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated. - Again similar error as A

As for C, overlooking "that the" is wrong, one always overlooks something. Essentially "that" is not needed here.

Therefore. E is correct answer.

Hope this helps.


No, this is not a solid reason to eliminate C. That "something" you mentioned could as well be a "that" clause. I do not see any solid reason to eliminate C. (The pronoun "one" correctly refers to "disaster" by virtue of parallelism.)

This question does not seem to be from an authentic source.


Actually what i meant to say was that C sounds awkward. And even if this doesn't convince, then we should follow the above mentioned approach (removing the useless parts in the answer)

C) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one - "one" over here is ambiguous.

Also this question is from the old paper format GMAT.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2871
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 10:07
usaidmandvia wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
usaidmandvia wrote:
The problem with this question could also be solved by looking at the meaning and removing the useless parts in the answer choices (an approached highlighted by e-GMAT).

Take a look at
A) overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated. - forces could be repeated?? doesnt make sense
B) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated. - Again similar error as A
D) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated. - Again similar error as A

As for C, overlooking "that the" is wrong, one always overlooks something. Essentially "that" is not needed here.

Therefore. E is correct answer.

Hope this helps.


No, this is not a solid reason to eliminate C. That "something" you mentioned could as well be a "that" clause. I do not see any solid reason to eliminate C. (The pronoun "one" correctly refers to "disaster" by virtue of parallelism.)

This question does not seem to be from an authentic source.


Actually what i meant to say was that C sounds awkward. And even if this doesn't convince, then we should follow the above mentioned approach (removing the useless parts in the answer)

C) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one - "one" over here is ambiguous.

Also this question is from the old paper format GMAT.


A Pronoun may refer to an antecedent which is within a modifier - removing the modifier and then reasoning that the pronoun does not have an antecedent is not logical.

Moreover, if a pronoun is a subject or an object of a clause, by virtue of parallelism it can refer to an antecedent which is a subject or an object of another clause in the sentence. Therefore "one" refers to "disasters" without ambiguity (Objects of two clauses).

It is true that we MUST align our reasoning with the reasoning of official questions, but there are a few (rare) old official questions which do not match with reasoning of the current ones. This is possibly such a question.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 19 Oct 2016
Posts: 69
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q39 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.15
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Health Care)
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2017, 10:38
misterJJ2u wrote:
A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on teh same site, overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated.

(b) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated
(c) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one
(d) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated
(e) withouth considering that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another such disaster


What's wrong with A sayantanc2k
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2871
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 07:31
1
1
rishit1080 wrote:
misterJJ2u wrote:
A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is to rebuild on teh same site, overlooking the possibility that the forces that caused it could be repeated.

(b) overlooking the possibility that the forces causing it could be repeated
(c) overlooking that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another one
(d) without considering that the forces causing the disaster could be repeated
(e) withouth considering that the forces that caused the disaster could also cause another such disaster


What's wrong with A sayantanc2k


On re-examining the question, I could understand a solid reason (which I missed in my previous post) that option E is the best answer.

Comma + present participle modifier should refer to the subject of the previous clause or the effect of the entire clause. Here "Overlooking .... " wrongly suggests that "A natural response" (subject of the previous clause) overlooks, not the "communities". Hence option A, B And C can be eliminated.

The intended meaning is that the disaster, not the forces, would be repeated. Hence option A, B AND D can be eliminated.

Option E is the correct answer.

usaidmandvia Previously I missed the modifier problem as mentioned above in this post - why C is incorrect is explained above.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4660
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 12:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 12:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A natural response of communities devastated by earthquake or flood is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne