Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Help with preparation [#permalink]
I had gone through the same situation last year. One thing i can suggest based on my experience is to take one thing at a time, focus on your weak sections and build ability in that sub-section. For example in verbal, if sc and rc are your weak section, work on sc concepts, cement the methods and acquire the ability by following the process. I found egmat really helpful for verbal and gmat club for quant preparation.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Hi meghakayal16, since your target score is 230 points away, i think you need to readjust your target as of now. You can get a 100 point increase easily, and then work your way up. Currently you have Q38 and V23. Would you say you are stronger in quants or verbal? Let us say you are stronger in quants , then first work on getting the quants score higher. Go from topic to topic and understand the concepts. Then give another mock test. If there is an improvement, then work from there. Usually the higher you go the more effort you need to put in, for example the amount of effort you put in to get a score increase from 500 to 600 is equivalent to 710 to 730 for example.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sv9154 wrote:
I had gone through the same situation last year. One thing i can suggest based on my experience is to take one thing at a time, focus on your weak sections and build ability in that sub-section. For example in verbal, if sc and rc are your weak section, work on sc concepts, cement the methods and acquire the ability by following the process. I found egmat really helpful for verbal and gmat club for quant preparation.

Hi SC9154, thanks a lot for your inputs.. when you say gmat club to be helpful for quant preparation. Is there any particular group or how exactly should I follow gmat club for quant preparation?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AnirudhaS wrote:
Hi meghakayal16, since your target score is 230 points away, i think you need to readjust your target as of now. You can get a 100 point increase easily, and then work your way up. Currently you have Q38 and V23. Would you say you are stronger in quants or verbal? Let us say you are stronger in quants , then first work on getting the quants score higher. Go from topic to topic and understand the concepts. Then give another mock test. If there is an improvement, then work from there. Usually the higher you go the more effort you need to put in, for example the amount of effort you put in to get a score increase from 500 to 600 is equivalent to 710 to 730 for example.

Hi AnirudhaS, Thankyou for your guidance.. I always felt that my verbal is stronger than quants.. because there are couple of topics in quants that makes me giddy like permutation and coordination and probability and high level questions of number systems...And in verbal, I have found myself performing good when I was studying the official guides. With a 85-90% accuracy for easy questions, 75-80% accuracy for medium questions and 50% accuracy for difficult ones..
My mock speaks something else completely..

LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
meghakayal16 wrote:
AnirudhaS wrote:

Hi AnirudhaS, Thankyou for your guidance.. I always felt that my verbal is stronger than quants.. because there are couple of topics in quants that makes me giddy like permutation and coordination and probability and high level questions of number systems...And in verbal, I have found myself performing good when I was studying the official guides. With a 85-90% accuracy for easy questions, 75-80% accuracy for medium questions and 50% accuracy for difficult ones..
My mock speaks something else completely..

I am no expert, so I may be pushing you in the wrong direction. However, I will say what my experience was. I guess for now you completely forget about 700+ questions. People under-estimate the essence of 500+ and 600+ questions. All you need to do is get 100% accuracy in these questions first - I say that because these questions rely on 'simple' application of the concept. Nothing less than 100% accuracy, no 90% is not enough. If you are not getting these questions right, it is not a wise decision to go the 700+ ones. Why don't you first download the gmatclub quant book written by Bunuel first. It has about 120 pages, I need you to understand all of the book, not just read it - internalize it.

Also, you were talking about probabilities and perm-comb. Forget about them as well (for now). First focus on Number system and inequalities. Then arithmetic -like the word problems etc. Then do venn diagrams and finally you finish off with geometry. I think you also have to do statistics - but the important concepts are mean, median, mode and standard deviation. Do these first. Forget about probabilities now, they only start coming as 700 questions, not before. Your goal is to reach that first.
GMAT Club Bot