Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Tablesx         
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32923 [44]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [14]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [10]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32923 [7]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: The table summarizes information in several categories about the 9 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

The last row in the "Self-check express lanes" column indicates that the average number of self-check express lanes per store is 6.89. The only two stores with average customer ages between 34 and 36 are Store A and Store F, each of which has 8 self-check express lanes—more than the average number, 6.89. So in each store with an average customer age between 34 and 36, the number of self-check express lanes is above average.

The correct answer is True.

Sorting the table by the "Average customer age" column, we see that stores with higher average customer ages generally tend to have fewer self-check unlimited lanes. Thus, the table shows a negative correlation between average customer age and the number of self-check unlimited lanes.

The correct answer is True.

Sorting the table by the "Self-check express lanes" column, we see that all three stores with less than the average number of self-check express lanes have restaurants, whereas only one store of the six with more than the average number of self-check express lanes has a restaurant. Thus, stores with fewer self-check express lanes than average are more likely to have restaurants than are stores with more self-check express lanes than average, not less likely.

The correct answer is False.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [4]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: The table summarizes information in several categories about the 9 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
1) In store A -average customer age = 34.5 ->SCEL-8(>6.89-average),Store F also has SCEL 8 ---True
2)True - Since SCUL increases and the Avg customer age decreases
3)False - I is the exception here

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [5]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Kudos

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]

Can someone please explain this. There are exceptions at 6, 8 and one of the fours if we arrange it according to ACA in ascending order.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
RoughBook wrote:

Can someone please explain this. There are exceptions at 6, 8 and one of the fours if we arrange it according to ACA in ascending order.[/quote]

Did we figure this out yet? I'm confused about this one too.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [3]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I agree. There is a negative correlation trend between age and SCUL (nice acronym) but there are exceptions, so I answered "no" as well... I will have to ask for help from someone with more IR experience as to why GMAC would classify this as "True"
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nicoz wrote:
It would be a negative correlation, so that’s true. In data analysis, one or two points can have different values means they are non-correlated but overall if you plot them and draw a line of correlation it would come out as negatively correlated with the function or factor compared.

Thanks! Now that you explain it, that makes sense. :cool: but I did not like having a few values that were not fitting in the pattern....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Kudos
Yes unfortunately that do happens with me several times when I manage quality aspect in projects.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Project IR Butler 2019-20 - Get one IR Question Everyday
Question # 32, Date : 01-Nov-2019
This post is a part of Project IR Butler 2019-20. Click here for Details

The table summarizes information in several categories about the 9 stores in a small grocery chain. The table also includes chain-wide averages where appropriate.
Attachment:
Tab.jpg

For each of the following statements, select True if the statement can be verified to be true based on the information provided. Otherwise, select False.

TrueFalseStatements
In each store whose average customer age falls between 34 and 36, the number of self-check express lanes is above average.
There is a negative correlation between the number of self-check unlimited lanes and the average customer age.
Stores in this table that have fewer self-check express lanes than the chain-wide average are less likely to have restaurants than stores that have more self-check express lanes than the chain-wide average.

Attachment:
OA.jpg

For the second question, we have increasing SCUL in the order
[I/G/D=0] [A/C/E=4] [B/F=6] H=8
[56.7/38.8/50.5] [34.5/32/42.5] [28.4/34.6] 29.9

So for SCUL from 0 to 8, either ACA decreases from 56.7 to 29.9 or 50.5 to 29.9 or 38.8 to 29.9.
Hence a negative correlation. TRUE then.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Nicoz wrote:
It would be a negative correlation, so that’s true. In data analysis, one or two points can have different values means they are non-correlated but overall if you plot them and draw a line of correlation it would come out as negatively correlated with the function or factor compared.

I too was thinking so but surprisingly this isnt logic behind second question .
I used filter for this specific second question(use SCUL filter if you are viewing this question in mba.com mock1 ) and found that the data
shows complete negative correlation .
check stores in this order - DGI averages ACEBFH . The SCUL data points respectively will show 0,0,0,3.56,4,4,4,6,6,8
with avg customer age 50.50, 38.80,56.70,......29.90 . Its clearly showing negative correlation .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.43
Send PM
Kudos
Hi

Can someone please explain why 3rd sentence is marked as "false"?
There is indeed one exception, but the statement says "Stores in this table that have fewer self-check express lanes than the chain-wide average are less likely to have restaurants than stores that have more self-check express lanes than the chain-wide average."
"LESS LIKELY" doesn't mean it always have to happen.
Therefore, there IS such negative correlation, with just one exception.
Please let me know what you think about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Hi
With reference to the 2nd question - Does this imply that it’s ok to drop outlier data points in such questions?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos