Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 18:30 It is currently 17 May 2024, 18:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65335 [4]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Hello VeritasKarishma,

Hope not to ask a dumb question.
I'm preparing for the GMAT using both the "All the GMAT" by Manhattan and the CR bible by Powerscore. I found the latter very useful and I don't want to waste time covering overlapping methods and strategies on the "All the Verbal" for CR.
Can I directly skip this part on the Manhattan book or should I study some parts also there?

Thank you very much for your time

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Hi VeritasKarishma

need your urgent support on 2 CR - LSAT- ASSUMPTION Questions on NEGATE technique
( negate of right answer is not WEAKENING the conclusion). I think I am doing something serious wrong.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/industrialis ... l#p2733802
https://gmatclub.com/forum/companies-th ... l#p2734272

Thanks a ton!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65335 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

need your urgent support on 2 CR - LSAT- ASSUMPTION Questions on NEGATE technique
( negate of right answer is not WEAKENING the conclusion). I think I am doing something serious wrong.

Thanks a ton!

Hey mSKR,

Done.

First question:

Second question I have discussed in detail here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/press-secret ... l#p1174052

Go through the thread and let me know if it clears the doubts.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65335 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nik11 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma,

Hope not to ask a dumb question.
I'm preparing for the GMAT using both the "All the GMAT" by Manhattan and the CR bible by Powerscore. I found the latter very useful and I don't want to waste time covering overlapping methods and strategies on the "All the Verbal" for CR.
Can I directly skip this part on the Manhattan book or should I study some parts also there?

Thank you very much for your time

Posted from my mobile device

Nik11:

From what I hear about the mentioned resources, CR Bible is a favourite among GMAT test takers and does discuss strategies and terminology in a lot of detail. Now whether all that detail is actually required for GMAT, I am not so sure. I cannot say anything about the Manhattan CR but I do know that Veritas CR covers the key points needed for GMAT very well without getting into unnecessary terminology!

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for but this is all I know on this topic! :)
VP
VP
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Thanks a ton!

Hey mSKR,

Done.

First question:

2nd question i posted at wrong place before :
Here is the right link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/press-secret ... l#p2735674

Doubt is : On negation , B and E seems to strengthen the conclusion and D seems to weaken the conclusion .

B) The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
>>
1. What is new about this information . We already know that 90% of projects canceled were in opposite parties
Negate B: The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
If most projects were wasteful in president party then it strengthens conclusion that his choice is motivated by budgetary policy that he even do cancel projects in his own district.

Soon basis of above 2 reasons, I rejected B

(D) The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
Negated D:The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.

So if his projects were expensive than projects of expensive , it means to some extend he is motivated politically else the projects would have been of similar cost. It may not be true but it tends to prove that his motive is politically and seems to favor claim of opposition parties

(E) Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
Negate E: Reports by nonpartisan auditors are generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
So they should believe the conclusion and it seems to favour the conclusion as in B.

What am I missing?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65335 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Thanks a ton!

Hey mSKR,

Done.

First question:

2nd question i posted at wrong place before :
Here is the right link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/press-secret ... l#p2735674

Doubt is : On negation , B and E seems to strengthen the conclusion and D seems to weaken the conclusion .

B) The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
>>
1. What is new about this information . We already know that 90% of projects canceled were in opposite parties
Negate B: The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
If most projects were wasteful in president party then it strengthens conclusion that his choice is motivated by budgetary policy that he even do cancel projects in his own district.

Soon basis of above 2 reasons, I rejected B

(D) The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
Negated D:The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.

So if his projects were expensive than projects of expensive , it means to some extend he is motivated politically else the projects would have been of similar cost. It may not be true but it tends to prove that his motive is politically and seems to favor claim of opposition parties

(E) Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
Negate E: Reports by nonpartisan auditors are generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
So they should believe the conclusion and it seems to favour the conclusion as in B.

What am I missing?

mSKR,

Yes I noticed. That is why I have given you the correct link. I have a long discussion on the question there. Go through it thoroughly. I have also responded to your doubt there.
VP
VP
Send PM
Quote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
[/url]

What am I missing?

Yes I noticed. That is why I have given you the correct link. I have a long discussion on the question there. Go through it thoroughly. I have also responded to your doubt there.

I was really struggling with this question.
You are magician / Angel :angel: :angel: . I instantly understood what I was overlooking.

Thanks a ton! :please: :please: :please: :please:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65335 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:

I was really struggling with this question.
You are magician / Angel :angel: :angel: . I instantly understood what I was overlooking.

Thanks a ton! :please: :please: :please: :please:

Sure, no worries! You are always welcome mSKR!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 897
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Please can you clarify on this question i was unable to eliminate Option B and D both looks very attractive. That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?

(A) If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

(B) Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.

(C) If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

(D) If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

(E) In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [1]
Send PM