Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Cornell Tech ($) vs Babson 1 Year ($$$) vs HKUST ($$) [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Wow! Lots of admits and lots of diversity! :thumbsup:

Congrats on your admits and scholarships! I would suggest focusing on Cornell vs. HKUST. Big question is while you are not planning to recruit after your MBA (awesome position to be in). where are you planning to not be recruiting? Are you planning to work on your own things in the US, HK, or elsewhere?

Assuming you don't live in the US, Cornell Tech MBA is STEM, which is pretty significant since it gives you 3 years in the US with a work permit. Mixing a startup with it requires some side engagement to keep your OPT valid which is pretty easy to do.
HKUST - do you speak mandarin or cantonese? If not, it is a consideration as to what you will be doing after graduation.

P.S. Babson has a very large proportion of international students. I don't believe it is healthy (by large I mean over 70%)

bethun wrote:
Hi Guys,

Reaching out as I need advice regarding my admits with the deposit deadline looming.

I have been admitted to the 1 year Cornell Tech MBA with $15K scholarship, Babson 1 year program with $45K scholarship and HKUST's MBA with ~$22K scholarship.

While entrepreneurship is something on my mind and I have chosen the programs I applied to accordingly, I would want to work immediately post MBA.

Cornell Tech's high tuition fees will put a significant debt, but I understand its also a notch above the other too.

Please provide your opinions.

Thanks

Thanks BB for your reply. USA is definitely a better geography than HK given I have long term entrepreneurial ambitions and moreover I don't speak Mandarin/Cantonese. But Cornell would cost almost double than that of HKUST or Babson post scholarship and the additional debt is a risk I am weighing given my entrepreneurial ambitions.
How does large international % of students put Babson at a disadvantage? Given Babson also has STEM electives, could you also shed some light into Babson placement success of international students in USA? I know Cornell Tech mentions 100% placement in its website.

Thanks
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
1. You are a future MBA who should think critically so I will let you figure out on your own why having only international students in a US school may be an issue, concern, or suspicious 😎

2. Babson is an entrepreneur school. They don’t need to help you find a job. Entrepreneurs don’t need jobs. They create them.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V45
Send PM
Kudos
1. What is your background
2. What is your post MBA goal

HKUST doesn't have much reputation beyond Hong Kong itself, so if there's any doubt that you'd want to work somewhere else other than HK, I'd recommend one of the other two. Given the fact that Hong Kong is becoming increasingly more Chinese, I'd say that you'd probably need to learn mandarin to take full advantage of the degree.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ANALysis wrote:
1. What is your background
2. What is your post MBA goal

HKUST doesn't have much reputation beyond Hong Kong itself, so if there's any doubt that you'd want to work somewhere else other than HK, I'd recommend one of the other two. Given the fact that Hong Kong is becoming increasingly more Chinese, I'd say that you'd probably need to learn mandarin to take full advantage of the degree.

Agreed. After speaking with HKUST students and alum, I received the same feedback.

I am leaning towards Cornell Tech due to its brand and unique curriculum design to develop technology leaders.

In regards to awarding scholarship from Cornell Tech, I believe this year has been worse than previous ones based on my discussions. I hope the ROI will be good at CT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
1. You are a future MBA who should think critically so I will let you figure out on your own why having only international students in a US school may be an issue, concern, or suspicious 😎

2. Babson is an entrepreneur school. They don’t need to help you find a job. Entrepreneurs don’t need jobs. They create them.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks BB; I did speak with alums and students from both Babson and CT and Cornell Tech seems to be a much better option for both job prospects as well as fulfilling entrepreneurial ambitions later on.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would not say that HKUST is unknown outside of HK.
It has been the #1 school in Asia a few ratings. There are not that many bschools in Asia, so everyone tends to know HKUST, NUS/NTU, and CEIBS. Ceibs is in China and that does not make sense to attend if you are not going to work in China. NUS is great for Singapore and HKUST has also been sending people across asia since HK does still carry a need to know the local language. A lot of times you won't' be able to use English with people on the street, esp the older generation. I remember getting in a cab at the Airport of all the places and telling the cab driver my destination in English, then in Mandarin, only for him to tell me he does not speak Mandarin :lol:

P.S. I do have a bit of an affinity for HKUST, I have spent a semester there so perhaps my input is impartial but it is something I can relate and personally comment on. All second year HKUST students go on an exchange to other universities. That is cool though it can hamper with recruiting since you won't find a job while visiting Tuck, Kellogg, Booth, LBS, or a slew of other schools https://www.mba.ust.hk/ftmba/the-program ... ge-program

It is a pretty awesome opportunity since everyone goes. Again, I am not sure how it helps/hurts recruiting but that is something the current students or school adcom can better answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts