Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
humtum0 wrote:
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.

(A) chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week

(B) chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week

I can't convince myself that option B is better than option A. "By 1997, they had spent nearly six hours a week" actually has some issues that there is no starting point, maybe combined average of 1950s and 1980s made figure to six hours a week. I can't properly eliminate it. please help.

The beginning of the sentence talks about what happened "In 1981". The sentence is comparing the average in one year to the average in another. So the figure cited later in the sentence is the average for the year 1997, and not the average for some long period of time ending in 1997. There are other problems with A - the "they" refers back to the children from 1981, so it sounds like the second half of answer A is talking about how much time the same people spent on chores when they were 16 years older. It's also not clear what "they had spent six hours a week" means -- doing what? The sentence is supposed to compare one average with another. Answer A doesn't do that (it doesn't even say that the "six hours" is an average). And (probably the most obvious issue) there is no justification for using the past perfect tense in A.

Answer B resolves all of those issues.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969
It looks like a few folks have knocked out A above, but I'll give you another angle. Imagine that I said "By midnight, I had driven 90 miles an hour." The past perfect tense indicates that this action was completed sometime before midnight, but what does it mean to complete driving at some rate? It seems much more likely that the author wants to say "By midnight, I was driving 90 miles an hour." This means that when midnight arrived, I was going at that speed. However, I could also use the form in B of the original q and say "I had increased my speed to 90 mph" or "my speed had increased to 90 mph." Now the completed action is the increase, but the speed is still 90 mph at midnight.

Going back to kids' chores, A) is saying that kids had worked at this particular rate at some unspecified time between 1981 and 1997. That would be a very strange and narrow statement to make.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
pk6969
It looks like a few folks have knocked out A above, but I'll give you another angle. Imagine that I said "By midnight, I had driven 90 miles an hour." The past perfect tense indicates that this action was completed sometime before midnight, but what does it mean to complete driving at some rate? It seems much more likely that the author wants to say "By midnight, I was driving 90 miles an hour." This means that when midnight arrived, I was going at that speed. However, I could also use the form in B of the original q and say "I had increased my speed to 90 mph" or "my speed had increased to 90 mph." Now the completed action is the increase, but the speed is still 90 mph at midnight.

Going back to kids' chores, A) is saying that kids had worked at this particular rate at some unspecified time between 1981 and 1997. That would be a very strange and narrow statement to make.

Thank you for clearing the doubt, I guess now I have a much better understanding. Also, as others have pointed out, do we really need to specify what had done spending nearly six hours a week. I though it was pretty clear what the sentence meant and there was no ambiguity. can you help with it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
humtum0 wrote:
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.

I can't convince myself that option B is better than option A. "By 1997, they had spent nearly six hours a week" actually has some issues that there is no starting point, maybe combined average of 1950s and 1980s made figure to six hours a week. I can't properly eliminate it. please help.

The beginning of the sentence talks about what happened "In 1981". The sentence is comparing the average in one year to the average in another. So the figure cited later in the sentence is the average for the year 1997, and not the average for some long period of time ending in 1997. There are other problems with A - the "they" refers back to the children from 1981, so it sounds like the second half of answer A is talking about how much time the same people spent on chores when they were 16 years older. It's also not clear what "they had spent six hours a week" means -- doing what? The sentence is supposed to compare one average with another. Answer A doesn't do that (it doesn't even say that the "six hours" is an average). And (probably the most obvious issue) there is no justification for using the past perfect tense in A.

Thanks for your reply. I understood your explanation but had one doubt. I didn't understand ""It's also not clear what "they had spent six hours a week" means -- doing what? "" like I found it pretty clear that what they spent their time on. Can you please clear this a bit more?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
I see a lot of explanations for A vs B, and I totally buy those. But I have a query here.
"that figure" in option B logically refers to "the average no of hours spent doing household chores", but I thought the noun phrase didn't have an antecedent and went with Option C.
Can experts please explain if we can make such logical inferences for such Nouns ?
Also, can someone please explain what is wrong with Option C ?

I don't see anything wrong with Option C
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent(doing household chores) in 1997(by children in United States)

Am I missing something here in C?
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gokul20

We only want to switch from active to passive voice (or vice versa) when there's a reason to do so. Choice C just arbitrarily shifts, and this shift doesn't do anything to make the sentence clearer or easier to read. Additionally, the first part of the comparison is about an average number of hours per week, but C drops that in the second half. If we were to read it completely literally, it would be saying that the TOTAL hours of all children added up to 6 hrs/wk. Sure, this isn't the intended meaning, but the correct answers makes sure to maintain the parallelism of the comparison by comparing one statistic to another comparable statistic.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Gokul20

We only want to switch from active to passive voice (or vice versa) when there's a reason to do so. Choice C just arbitrarily shifts, and this shift doesn't do anything to make the sentence clearer or easier to read. Additionally, the first part of the comparison is about an average number of hours per week, but C drops that in the second half. If we were to read it completely literally, it would be saying that the TOTAL hours of all children added up to 6 hrs/wk. Sure, this isn't the intended meaning, but the correct answers makes sure to maintain the parallelism of the comparison by comparing one statistic to another comparable statistic.

Thank you Dmitry. This explanation makes sense to me now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
[quote="humtum0"]In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.

(C) chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997

(D) chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997

(E) chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997

regarding choice B
"by 1997, that figure had grown" is correct. at 1997, the growing finished. past perfect is correct.
regarding choice A
" by 1997, they had spent nearly sic hours a week" is unclear in meaning. this is not correct ellipsis. we need to add "doing so" . "doing so" is correct ellipsis. "by 1997, they had spent nearly sic hours a week, doing so"

similarly, choice C is unclear in meaning. "six hours a week were spent" is unclear. what six hours
similarly,choice D is unclear in meaning. what is "a figure of six hours".

choice B is clear in meaning. "that figure" refer to the previous figure and ,so, is clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
sayantanc2k AjiteshArun EducationAisle

Can we eliminate options C, D, and E on following points? please correct if there is any error.

option C- 1. we do not get any clearer meaning by clause nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997 to what is referring to clause either children in united states or somewhere else
2 . this option is inferior to option B

option D- here, children in united state are compared with the figure, comparison error.

option E- honestly i had difficulty in eliminating this option. but then i looked at comma that so we need that without comma to make more sense.

Thanks in advance
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
humtum0 wrote:

thank you , your explanation is wonderful.

I make it more clear.

(C) chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997

(D) chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997

(E) chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997

we refer to a noun by using pronoun such as "they" or article such as "a". "they " in choice a is wrong. "a" in choice D is wrong. in choice a, they spend six hours doing what. this is unclear. in choice c, six hours are spent doing what. in choice d, a figur of nearly six hours for what. these choices suffer unclear meaning error.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
In B how is 'had grown' past perfect correct ? that ?
C. chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997
Why is C incorrect ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dhwanii wrote:
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
In B how is 'had grown' past perfect correct ?

Hi Dhwanii, you might want to go thru this post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Why is that figure correct in option B but not in option e ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
bhavyasetia wrote:
Why is that figure correct in option B but not in option e ?

Hello bhavyasetia,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "that figure" is not incorrect in Option E; Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in 1997"; the use of "in" incorrectly implies that the amount of time that the average child spent on chores grew to six hours a week during 1997; the intended meaning is that the amount of time that the average child spent on chores had grown to six hours a week, by the time 1997 began.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Ross '25
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I don't like this question. 2nd clause is not an independent clause. Therfore B cannot be considered correct.

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja, by your logic of "compared with", I believed, "Today, more than 43 percent of Californians under the age of eighteen are Hispanic, compared
with about 35 percent a decade ago" (gmat sc answer choice), compared with should be wrong in this sentence as the comparison is not relative. Can you pls help me understand this better.
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
KVISHUINFO

The second part of B is in fact an independent clause. It starts with a modifier, but it doesn't have the type of subordinating language ("while, since, because, although") that make a clause dependent. The main clause is simply "That figure had grown." The fact that this relies for its meaning on the first part does not make the clause dependent. If that were how things worked, the sentence I'm typing now wouldn't be a sentence at all, since "that" refers back to the sentence prior.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts