Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 12:55 It is currently 12 May 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4555 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63854 [20]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vikas9945 wrote:
GMATNinja @mikemcgerry

How to choose between A and B ..on the basis of meanng

This question causes endless confusion. Whee. :suspect

I see a couple of different issues with (A). Here it is again:

Quote:
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.

If we're crazy literal about the interpretation of the pronoun "they", then (A) has a problem. "They" seems to refer to "children in the United States" -- presumably, the exact same "children in the United States" that appeared at the beginning of the sentence. But that makes no sense: the "children in the United States" in 1981 aren't even children by 1997, so it's ridiculous to talk about how much time they spent doing chores in 1997.

And if you don't buy that, I think there's a problem with the verb tense in (A), too.

We have "In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week." The use of the past perfect, "had spent" in the second clause implies an action that took place before another event in the past. In other words, by 1997, the children were no longer spending six hours a week on household chores. This doesn't make much sense - why would they go from spending 2.5 hours a week in 1981 to no longer spending 6 hours a week by 1997?

But in (B), we have "In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week." Again, we have the past perfect, but this time "had grown" indicates that the figure grew to 6 hours before 1997. This makes perfect sense - the children were working for 2.5 hours a week in 1981, and at some point before 1997, they began working 6 hours a week.

To summarize: it's illogical to write that the children were no longer working 6 hours a week by 1997, but it makes perfect sense to claim that the figure had grown to 6 hours by 1997.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Send PM
Re: In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly les [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
HI E-GMAT,
In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week.
A. spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week
B. spent slightly less than an average of two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
C. had spent slightly less than two and a half hours, on an average, per week doing household chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997
D. spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997
E. spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997

my queries is , Once the time frame is mention in the choices by In 1981 and By 1997 , then why we required past perfect tense? Could you please help me where I'm getting wrong .

Secondly , In choice B , could you please explain how the second clause is a Independent clause ,which started with "by 1997" construction ?.

Finally ,Choice C Isn't it the "compared with a figure" is a correct modifier?

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

1. We need the past perfect tense because this action happened first. The action indicated by the phrase "by 1997" happened later. Note that the two time periods pertaining to the past perfect tense here are not 1981 and 1997. The part after the semicolon shows the two tenses that this tense refers to. That is, this part of the sentence tells you that they had spent a certain number of hours doing household chores in the time leading up to 1997. Action 1: had spent; action 2: by 1997.

2. An independent clause can certainly begin with a modifier of time. "By 1997" is a prepositional phrase telling you when an action took place. It's not a dependent marker. The subject + verb part of this clause comes after this phrase.

3. "Compared with" is acceptable in this context, but the comparison in option D isn't very clear. It seems to be comparing "children" with "the figure".

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts.

Regards,
Meghna

So if a construction uses 'By some year' then we should always use past perfect tense?
Can we make this as a rule?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63854 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
So if a construction uses 'By some year' then we should always use past perfect tense?
Can we make this as a rule?

It's nice when something can be boiled down to a rule, isn't it? While there are some hard and fast grammar rules worth internalizing, for the most part, we're relying on logic and context to make our decisions, rather the memorizing a long list of "when you see x, look for y!"

If I'm referring to a year in the past, and I'm describing an action that was completed before that year, sure, it makes sense to use "had." For example: "By last week, I had already destroyed all of the evidence incriminating me." Last week is in the past, and the destruction of the evidence occurred before last week. So far so good.

But I could easily generate other scenarios in which the past perfect wouldn't be appropriate. If, for example, I was writing about the future: "By 2080, the vast majority of my interactions will be with evil robots." We have "by [some year]," but clearly, past perfect isn't appropriate here.

The takeaway: don't try to memorize constructions that would call for the past perfect. Rather, if you're evaluating an answer choice that contains the past perfect, ask yourself if the action in question really was completed in the past before something else in the past.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Bookmarks
GMATNinja I could not locate good error pointers in the ACs to test, would you consider eliminating A,C on the basis of meaning (that it's not as clear as B?) or is this a case of correct omission of words? My reasons for eliminating answers from from most confident to least confident.

(D) chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997
makes it sound like the "children ... doing chores" is compared with "a figure"

(E) chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997
wrongly uses simple present to talk about an action finished in the past

(A) chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week
"[children] spent six hours a week" doing what?

(C) chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997
passive voice "were spent" ... by whom? doing what?

(B) chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
"that figure" refers back to the average
"had grown" is correct past perfect form
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63854 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
energetics wrote:
GMATNinja I could not locate good error pointers in the ACs to test, would you consider eliminating A,C on the basis of meaning (that it's not as clear as B?) or is this a case of correct omission of words? My reasons for eliminating answers from from most confident to least confident.

(D) chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours a week in 1997
makes it sound like the "children ... doing chores" is compared with "a figure"

(E) chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a week in 1997
wrongly uses simple present to talk about an action finished in the past

(A) chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week
"[children] spent six hours a week" doing what?

(C) chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were spent in 1997
passive voice "were spent" ... by whom? doing what?

(B) chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week
"that figure" refers back to the average
"had grown" is correct past perfect form

As a general rule, I wouldn't try to figure out if words in a sentence are missing, because, well, mind-reading is hard. :)

Instead, we simply want to ask ourselves if the given sentence, as written, clearly conveys a logical and unambiguous meaning. For example, If I write, "Tim has more rainbow-colored parakeets than Nancy," it's true that I left out the word "does" at the end of it, but no reasonable person would misinterpret the sentence to mean that Tim has more parakeets than he has Nancy! This sentence is fine.

But if I write, "Tim loves rainbow-colored parakeets more than Nancy," I could be conveying more than one possible meaning: that Tim loves parakeets more than Tim loves Nancy, or that Tim loves parakeets more than Nancy loves parakeets. So this one is a problem.

That said, I think your explanations are mostly dead-on. I'd add that in (E), we have a faulty VERB-ing modification. The figure didn't grow to 6 hours a week as a result of children having spent little time doing household chores in the past. Moreover, it sounds as though the growth from less than 2.5 to 6 took place in entirely in 1997. Compare this to the meaning in (B), that the growth had taken place by 1997, possibly over several years. The latter interpretation is more logical.

And for a more on why (A) is wrong, take a look at my earlier post in this thread.

But you only need one valid reason for eliminating an answer choice, so you did excellent work here.

Nicely done!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2167 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The point of reference in B is quite clearly the same activity. This is made abundantly clear by "that figure".

A de-contextualises the point of reference by merely stating that the subjects "spent" x hours per week.

MartyTargetTestPrep
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5147 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:
The point of reference in B is quite clearly the same activity. This is made abundantly clear by "that figure".

A de-contextualises the point of reference by merely stating that the subjects "spent" x hours per week.

MartyTargetTestPrep

Regarding choice (A), consider the following adjusted version of the original version of the sentence:

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they were spending nearly six hours a week.

Now, there is in the second clause still no mention of what the children "were spending nearly six hours a week" doing, but the meaning is fairly clear. So, while the above sentence is not ideal, the lack of mention of what the children "had spent nearly six hours week" doing is not the most critical issue.

So, what's the most critical issue?

The most critical issue is the use of the past perfect "had spent."

The use of "had spent" results in the creation of a comparison that is not logical. On the one hand we have what the children did in 1981. On the other, we have what the children "had" done by 1997. Even if we assume that, "by 1997," the children "had spent nearly six hours a week" doing household chores, when they had spent that nearly six hours a week is not clear. Are we meant to believe that, even including the time spent in 1981, and perhaps including time spent back to the dawn of time, by 1997, children had spent a weighted average of nearly six hours per week doing household chores? That meaning seems rather unlikely to be the one that the author meant to convey.

Deciding that choice (A) should be eliminated simply because what the children had spent nearly six hours doing is not directly mentioned is a bit too simplistic, and the overall takeaway here is that you can make your thinking about these choices more sophisticated.

GMAT verbal is to a large degree a test of the level of sophistication of the thinking that you bring to bear when answering the questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
vikas9945 wrote:
GMATNinja @mikemcgerry

Quote:

We have "In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week." The use of the past perfect, "had spent" in the second clause implies an action that took place before another event in the past. In other words, by 1997, the children were no longer spending six hours a week on household chores. This doesn't make much sense - why would they go from spending 2.5 hours a week in 1981 to no longer spending 6 hours a week by 1997?

But in (B), we have "In 1981 children in the United States spent an average of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing household chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week." Again, we have the past perfect, but this time "had grown" indicates that the figure grew to 6 hours before 1997. This makes perfect sense - the children were working for 2.5 hours a week in 1981, and at some point before 1997, they began working 6 hours a week.

To summarize: it's illogical to write that the children were no longer working 6 hours a week by 1997, but it makes perfect sense to claim that the figure had grown to 6 hours by 1997.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja , I've tried many times reading your explanation in B. Why do you say that it implies that the children NO LONGER spends 6 hours a week? How did the past perfect NEGATE the meaning? because it's literally written as "by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week". I don't see where it implied that it's NO LONGER 6 hours a week.

Aside from that, everything seems fine. Many thanks :) Please help... My GMAT is in 3 days and I still have a lot to cover! :cry:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63854 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Diwabag wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
vikas9945 wrote:
GMATNinja @mikemcgerry

Quote:

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja , I've tried many times reading your explanation in B. Why do you say that it implies that the children NO LONGER spends 6 hours a week? How did the past perfect NEGATE the meaning? because it's literally written as "by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week". I don't see where it implied that it's NO LONGER 6 hours a week.

Aside from that, everything seems fine. Many thanks :) Please help... My GMAT is in 3 days and I still have a lot to cover! :cry:

First a disclaimer: this issue isn't important enough to worry about just before the exam! You should be doing light review, while making sure your addressing the psychological factors that can shape test performance. Put another way, mindset is more important than small content issues. [Disclaimer complete :)]

As for your question, consider how the past perfect works: it indicates an action completed before something else in the past. For example:

"By 8pm last night, Tim had eaten all of the Pop-Tarts in the pantry, leaving him with no food for the remainder of the weekend."

The verb phrase "had eaten" conveys that the action was completed before "8pm last night," which is also in the past. Poor Tim is no longer eating Pop-Tarts! (And should maybe hire a dietician.)

Same thing here: "by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours a week." Again, the verb phrase "had spent" indicates an action completed before something else in the past, in this case 1997. Therefore, They'd spent 6 nearly hours before 1997. By 1997, they're no longer spending nearly six hours a week.

Contrast that with the OA: "by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly six hours a week." Now "had grown" happened before 1997, meaning that the figure is no longer growing. This meaning is perfectly logical: the figure grew in the past, and then stopped growing.

More on verb tenses in this video if anybody needs to waste an hour. ;)

Good luck on the exam -- let us know how it goes!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
carlito wrote:
Can someone please explain me what is wrong with A?
the correct answer is B. however, don't we lose the meaning of the sentence when we bring new verb "had grown" ?

In 1981 children in the United States spent an average
of slightly less than two and a half hours a week doing
household chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six
hours a week.

A. chores; by 1997 they had spent nearly six hours
a week
B. chores; by 1997 that figure had grown to nearly
six hours a week
C. chores, whereas nearly six hours a week were
spent in 1997
D. chores, compared with a figure of nearly six hours
a week in 1997
E. chores, that figure growing to nearly six hours a
week in 1997

OK, first of all I will be honest and say I don't love this problem. Choice B uses a semi-colon, which the GMAT uses to connect two independent clauses, but I don't think that the 2nd clause is truly independent.

Now that I have that off my chest :)...the problem with A is really around meaning and verb tense. It doesn't make much sense to say that by 1997 they (students) had spent nearly six hours. That verb tense, the past perfect, is used to describe a past action that precedes some other past action (in this case the year 1997). In essence, choice A is saying that at some point before 1997 the students spent 6 hours a week. We aren't sure if that is a new average or a one-time deal. The better setup would have been: "by 1997 they were spending nearly six hours a week" so we would know that in 1997 the hours per week was at 6 instead of 2.5.

The verb tense in choice B is the same, past perfect, but the subject is different. Now we are talking about the growth of the figure (average hours per week). It makes sense to say that by 1997 the figure had grown to 6 hours - in other words, we have figure that grows from an average of 2.5 in 1981 to nearly 6 by 1997.

KW

Hi KyleWiddison egmat sayantanc2k GMATNinja
Thanks for the explanation!
Just wanted to check if "figure" in B will qualify as a subject and thus make this an independent clause.
Also, I feel that the option you provided by 1997 they were spending nearly six hours a week would still have been wrong as they would refer to the same children of 1981 and surely they must have grown up by 1997. Perhaps the correct option would have been by 1997 such children were spending nearly six hours a week
Look forward to your insights.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63854 [4]

Send PM
Kudos