Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Given my background and goals, which to pick before factoring financial aid?

7% [1]
38% [5]
38% [5]
15% [2]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Re: Online MBA - Ross v Kelley v UNC v Tepper ... + odd background ... [#permalink]
Kudos
I was in a somewhat similar situation as you very recently. I ended up selected Fuqua's Master of Science in Quantitative Management which is online with On-Campus immersions. At the end of the day, in my opinion, when selecting an online program go with the best brand.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Re: Online MBA - Ross v Kelley v UNC v Tepper ... + odd background ... [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
FinanceMan wrote:
I was in a somewhat similar situation as you very recently. I ended up selected Fuqua's Master of Science in Quantitative Management which is online with On-Campus immersions. At the end of the day, in my opinion, when selecting an online program go with the best brand.

Thanks so much for for commenting, I was just going to tag you.
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Send PM
I will also add, when doing an online program it is essentially up to you to network. The programs, at least at top business schools, provide career services but there are no recruiting opportunities. If you want to pivot to a different career, connect with alums, etc. Build connections. The brand name will help you in terms of conversation starters and then from there, it's up to you to stand out. You have to sell yourself more than on-campus people who have recruiters coming in.

Personally, I have built a solid connection with a couple of Fuqua professors and a few alums who are CEOs of large multi-billion dollar companies.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the detailed thoughts, bb.

bb wrote:
Thanks for posting. Usually this form is reserved for choosing between schools that someone has already gotten in but you do your research so I have no qualms about you getting in here. :-)

Thanks. Your observation makes 100% sense ... to not clog up traffic w/ a 'what-if" ... wait until admitted and there's a choice to make. If need be, feel free to delete this and I'll revisit in a few months.

bb wrote:
I should also point out that we have a little exposure to online MBA programs here. Most GMAT club members apply for full-time programs with a subset of the population going for a part-time or executive MBA.

Good to know. There are only 6 schools in the USNWR Top 40 programs who offer a full MBA degree -- the schools listed above, plus Arizona State (Carey).

bb wrote:
I don’t know what age or demographic attends the online programs. You probably don’t wanna be in the class with a bunch of 25-year-olds or a bunch of 65-year-olds. I’m thinking with your experience, an EMBA may be better.... Sorry about the family situation, and some of the limiting factors associated with it. But it is what it is and life must go on. I don’t know if Tepper’s 15 visit approach works for you, But it seems like they would meet once a month. I believe several executive MBA programs also meet on a monthly basis for a weekend and combine online with an in-person components. Kelloggs Miami-based the EMBA comes to mind.

The advantage is the caliber of your classmates on the network that you can rely on. Your classmates will be your primary networking opportunity. These tens to be a bit more expensive But also often have a simpler admission process.

The average work experience for all four programs exceeds traditional MBAs by a good bit, but doesn't get to the level of the EMBA -- Kelley is about 9yrs on average and UNC is 10yrs; Ross is about 7.5 and Tepper about 6.5 years. Each program advertises they have several people in their cohorts who are in their late 40s or even their 50s.

The travel for an EMBA is a non-starter. I cannot do that much travel with my family situation. I believe Tepper's travel requirement (once every 6-7 weeks over a three year period), for me, probably knocks it out, as well. And, it's possible MBB consulting isn't going to be an option either -- but, that's at least 2-3 years from now (i.e., post graduation), and my world may be different by then. We'll see. :)

bb wrote:
As to your choice in question, I would vote for Ross or Tepper. I know nothing about the programs but, the stronger name please well and I like the 15 in person opportunities a temper. It increases the cost but it should greatly in enhance the program

I will be very interested to see how financial stacks up. I understand Kelley has really good scholarships for high GMATs ... and ... Ross has almost nothing to offer (maybe get some people the in-state rate). Not sure about Tepper's aid, though. UNC, I understand, also only has modest awards to give, too.

bb wrote:
Honestly, everyone may be doing online MBA next year. If anything you would have a more certain experience. The UNC program is the oldest one and probably most reputed online MBA program. it’ll likely be the smoothest as all kings have been already worked out.

I think online delivery is absolutely the wave. There are simply too many teams accomplishing too many things with staff / partners from around the world to think that getting an MBA in this format will not be a seriously viable strategy for programs and students. I am not alone in my desire to advance my career, my ability to do the work and be a good cohort member for others, and my inability to travel to do so.

UNC is actually NOT the oldest program. Kelley is 21 years old. UNC is 8-9 years old. Tepper is maybe 5-6 years old and Ross is just in their 2nd year (they've not yet graduated a class).

bb wrote:
Part of the values of the program ads, important aspect of the program, is recruiting. I don’t know how online programs help with recruiting. Do they fall under the same assumption as an evening or executive MBA? Meaning they don’t really provide recruiting beyond career services or something like that? Is your family situation going to allow you to hold a consulting job with a lot of travel? By the way, consulting after certain age becomes very hard to recruit for. By that time, consulting companies are trying to get rid of older consultants potentially more expensive and replace them with the younger ones.

It's my understanding from all four schools that I can participate in on-campus recruiting for career jobs, but I'd have to get to campus to participate. A couple of the schools allow to interview for internships -- but -- that'd require the online participants to clear their deck for a summer working for someone else, which, obviously, could be tough to do.

My family situation (and age) may knock out consulting as a career option. I can cross that bridge down the road -- graduating with my MBA will take AT LEAST two years, maybe four. If that isn't an option, I've got other cool stuff I think I can do.

bb wrote:
I do feel your better chances of recruiting will be networking with the classmates in an executive MBA program. However, if that is not an option or recruiting is not a huge concern, any of the four programs you identified with beer likely good choice. I was still favor Ross, temper and UNC. Ross and Tepper having higher ranking and UNC being a more established program.

Part of where this is going dovetails with your extended posts elsewhere about "how much lower does the ALL IN cost of a school in a lower tier need to be in order for you to leave a higher tier"? As it sits now, Kelley is about 60% of the cost of UNC and Ross ... and about 50% of the cost of Tepper. And, that's before scholarships.

Again, Kelley is (by far) the most long-tenured online MBA program with the most extensive class offerings ... but ... the name brand recognition is not nearly the same as the other schools.

P&Q and USNWR each rank Kelley, UNC and Carnegie Mellon very highly in their online MBA rankings. Due to the age of the program, and having no alumni to interview, Michigan isn't on anyone's list just yet.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
FinanceMan wrote:
I will also add, when doing an online program it is essentially up to you to network. The programs, at least at top business schools, provide career services but there are no recruiting opportunities. If you want to pivot to a different career, connect with alums, etc. Build connections. The brand name will help you in terms of conversation starters and then from there, it's up to you to stand out. You have to sell yourself more than on-campus people who have recruiters coming in.

<snip>

This is different than what I've understood from Kelley and Ross ... haven't figured that out from Tepper or Kenan-Flagler yet.

The only requirement is to do a sufficient amount of on campus work first (all of which is a requirement for the online programs) before you start on campus recruiting ... AND ... you have to get to campus for the interview.

Send PM
Regenerate wrote:
FinanceMan wrote:

<snip>

This is different than what I've understood from Kelley and Ross ... haven't figured that out from Tepper or Kenan-Flagler yet.

The only requirement is to do a sufficient amount of on campus work first (all of which is a requirement for the online programs) before you start on campus recruiting ... AND ... you have to get to campus for the interview.

That is great! A lot of online programs do not really cater to On-Campus recruiting due to logistics. If you have the opportunity for On-Campus recruiting though, that is great!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Online MBA - Ross v Kelley v UNC v Tepper ... + odd background ... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think the on-campus recruiting will generally be out for someone in your position. Most of the recruiters will be former students in their 30's recruiting folks who are 26. You will scare the hell out of them and they won't know what to do with you as their positions fit a certain mold. One option and opportunity however is to prequalify and send in your details in advance to give them a chance to digest and see if a company hiring on campus would have a need to interview someone wiht your experience and expectations.

The reason I was bringing up EMBA is that the roles you outlined are rarely advertised. Those are not roles a company usually hires for but they may put an internal person or someone a CEO or SVP know is a deal-man or a hatchet man, and then basically create a job for them.

P.S. I had no idea about Kelley's online MBA :shock: so tells you how much I know :blushing: but don't discount a program out of the gate. You may be able to leverage an offer for a scholarship potentially, though I imagine Online MBA is akin to EMBA and scholarships are very scarse.
Send PM
bb wrote:
I think the on-campus recruiting will generally be out for someone in your position. Most of the recruiters will be former students in their 30's recruiting folks who are 26. You will scare the hell out of them and they won't know what to do with you as their positions fit a certain mold. One option and opportunity however is to prequalify and send in your details in advance to give them a chance to digest and see if a company hiring on campus would have a need to interview someone wiht your experience and expectations.

The reason I was bringing up EMBA is that the roles you outlined are rarely advertised. Those are not roles a company usually hires for but they may put an internal person or someone a CEO or SVP know is a deal-man or a hatchet man, and then basically create a job for them.

P.S. I had no idea about Kelley's online MBA :shock: so tells you how much I know :blushing: but don't discount a program out of the gate. You may be able to leverage an offer for a scholarship potentially, though I imagine Online MBA is akin to EMBA and scholarships are very scarse.

I believe each online MBA is going to vary in terms of scholarship offers. Some programs will offer a lot more than others whereas some will have nothing at all.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
FinanceMan wrote:
bb wrote:

I believe each online MBA is going to vary in terms of scholarship offers. Some programs will offer a lot more than others whereas some will have nothing at all.

This is what I'm seeing so far. I'll know more as I go through it.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
bb wrote:

Yes ... I would probably scare the crap out of them ... ha!

The issue you raise is one reason I'm getting referrals from the admissions office to someone in career services at each school.

I'll also be trying to see if admissions will put me in touch with a professor or two who works with companies like in looking for.

Kelley says they have good scholarships. The other schools ... who knows. I suspect if I drop a huge GMAT score, some money might be available that doesn't show up in casual conversations. We will see.

Regarding the online MBA space generally, I'll be dropping you a private message.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Update: I decided to wait to see if any other more highly sought schools would launch an OMBA program in the wake of COVID ... or ... if my personal situation might change sufficiently to make an EMBA feasible.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Regenerate wrote:
Update: I decided to wait to see if any other more highly sought schools would launch an OMBA program in the wake of COVID ... or ... if my personal situation might change sufficiently to make an EMBA feasible.

Hi Regenerate

I wish you the best. I have read your post carefully and know your aspiration. In terms of age, I'm not far from your age but in another country.

I have delved in those online MBA programs and even contacted the adcom for each school. But I want to know some info. What do you exactly seek from doing MBA in this age? What do you miss and the MBA will help you with?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
Regenerate wrote:

Hi Regenerate

I wish you the best. I have read your post carefully and know your aspiration. In terms of age, I'm not far from your age but in another country.

I have delved in those online MBA programs and even contacted the adcom for each school. But I want to know some info. What do you exactly seek from doing MBA in this age? What do you miss and the MBA will help you with?

Mainly to refresh my professional profile, network with new people, and have exposure to a variety of bright people from many disciplines.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
No disrespect, but your messages read as if you are expecting a top school to suddenly create a program that fits your specfications and restrictions.

I also question how an online program is going to produce the outcome you desire, while of course also being a valuable brand.

I believe you are going to have to be a little more flexible or you're going to not have an MBA because you're waiting for the perfect scenario that enables you to get the one you want exactly the way you want it.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
202Hoya wrote:
No disrespect, but your messages read as if you are expecting a top school to suddenly create a program that fits your specfications and restrictions.

I also question how an online program is going to produce the outcome you desire, while of course also being a valuable brand.

I believe you are going to have to be a little more flexible or you're going to not have an MBA because you're waiting for the perfect scenario that enables you to get the one you want exactly the way you want it.

I agree.

I want something specific and I fully understand it might not be attainable with an OMBA.

I'm also considering an EMBA (which would probably be a better fit) or a MSQM or MSBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Then you need to assess your career goals and what it is that you want to get out of the next credential that you invest in.

MSQM and MSBA are inferior credentials to an MBA.

Any decent school's MBA program is going to be better than a Duke MSQM or a Darden MSBA. It's about the credential and the career doors it opens as a result, not about the brand of the school when you are talking about business school credentials that are not apples-to-apples products.

I do not believe it is for up for debate that someone would be better off with a Mendoza MBA than a Duke MSQM.

I have a friend who graduated from Mendoza and got into Amazon's FLDP; she wouldn't have even been on the radar for that as a Duke MSQM grad.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
202Hoya wrote:
Then you need to assess your career goals and what it is that you want to get out of the next credential that you invest in.

MSQM and MSBA are inferior credentials to an MBA.

Any decent school's MBA program is going to be better than a Duke MSQM or a Darden MSBA. It's about the credential and the career doors it opens as a result, not about the brand of the school when you are talking about business school credentials that are not apples-to-apples products.

I do not believe it is for up for debate that someone would be better off with a Mendoza MBA than a Duke MSQM.

I have a friend who graduated from Mendoza and got into Amazon's FLDP; she wouldn't have even been on the radar for that as a Duke MSQM grad.

Thank you for your feedback.

My background is not that of a typical MBA student. I'm in my late 40s and have over 20 years of c-suite experience.

I'm married with kids at home and very busy schedules.

I'm quite comfortable not going for a graduate degree of any type.

If I do, it's got to make sense financially, for my family and for my career. If it doesn’t meet all three, then I won't get one.

And I'm good with that. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts