Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Sloan '22
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GRE 1: Q170 V162
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi! I intend to apply for Wharton Moelis Advance Access Program (Deferred MBA) and it would be great to know what my chances are so here's my profile:

Background and nationality: Indian Male Engineer (Age 21)

Undergrad Information:
Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering from Punjab Engineering College
My CGPA: 8.1/10 ; Topper's CGPA: 9.4/10
Scored a 99.08 percentile in CAT (common admission test for MBA colleges in India)

GMAT: Not taken yet (740+ expected)

Work experience and leadership:
1. 5 month internship with Amazon as Operations Manager
(Responsible for automating operations, 3 direct reports to upper management and improved compliance of 2 business metrics, managed shift operations)

2. 2 month summer internship as business analyst at a startup
(Applied business analytics to practice data sets, no impact as such)

3. Held leadership position at Design Club, Marketing Club and volunteered for social service during undergrad
4. Did certifications in business strategy, corporate strategy and corporate finance from Coursera (online platform)

Post MBA goals:
Move into consulting and then onto product development

Would love to hear any other options to consider or any other way I could improve my profile for future applications

Thank you!
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ndharni wrote:
Hi! I intend to apply for Wharton Moelis Advance Access Program (Deferred MBA) and it would be great to know what my chances are so here's my profile:

Undergrad Information:
Scored a 99.08 percentile in CAT (common admission test for MBA colleges in India)

(Responsible for automating operations, 3 direct reports to upper management and improved compliance of 2 business metrics, managed shift operations)

3. Held leadership position at Design Club, Marketing Club and volunteered for social service during undergrad
4. Did certifications in business strategy, corporate strategy and corporate finance from Coursera (online platform)

Post MBA goals:

Would love to hear any other options to consider or any other way I could improve my profile for future applications

Thank you!

Hello Ndharni,

Wharton’s Advance Access Program is a great choice! If you want to explore other options, have a look at Personal MBA Coach’s MBA Early Admission/Deferral Programs eBook.

Successful deferral applicants will have already demonstrated considerable leadership through internships and extracurricular activities, either on or off campus. You certainly fit into this category with your management experience in your Amazon internship, and your leadership position(s) during undergrad. However, it will be crucial to really articulate what you have accomplished in these roles and show how you have been an effective leader.

Strong candidates also have a clear sense of their career goals. From what you have shared, I would suggest spending a bit more time thinking about your short and long-term career goals. While consulting and product management are good options (there are also no right or wrong goals), Wharton or any other deferral program will want a clear picture of how you will make the world better when you leave their campus and what your unique mark will be. You should have a unique vision here.

There is no denying that deferral programs are competitive. This is what makes them a good option for high achievers looking to get a jump on the MBA application process. While Personal MBA Coach sends folks every year, prepare for the challenge and apply to as many deferred programs as you can, ideally 6-8 of them!

It appears that you have done well in undergrad, and a strong GMAT score will enhance your candidacy. Even if you anticipate getting around a 740, I recommend taking a practice test to set your baseline and see how much work you have to do. For Wharton, you will want to aim for a 750+.

In short, two of the main things to focus on right now are:

A) Start to think about your post-MBA goals in more depth. Personal MBA Coach has an extensive blog on MBA goals here, and also works with clients on a case-by-case basis to develop these goals.
B) Begin preparing for the GMAT. With scores valid for up to 5 years and the ability to retake the test, there is no reason to wait. Even if you don’t plan on studying just yet, take a practice test now to see how you stack up.

If you’d like to discuss your profile in further detail, please reach out to scott@personalmbacoach.com.

Best wishes,
Personal MBA Coach
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Schopenhauer,

You've got a strong story and a diverse profile! If played right, you definitely can make your mark on adcoms!

First and foremost, your GPA is low and you have the valid reason for it. This is an opportunity for you to show self-awareness and deep introspection about your personal experiences and past setbacks. Highlight your strongest values through this!

Your GMAT is great and clearly shows your academic potential which further gives you a chance to prove the above point. On the surface, your work-ex looks good with a genuine interest in healthcare. I insist you provide me with more information in terms of work-ex duration, your responsibilities and initiatives and your leadership experiences. These things will help me to gauge the impact in your profile.

I can see your leadership potential through your ECs and community involvement. I would like to know more about your post-MBA goals. This will help me to connect the dots of your past story and your vision in healthcare. Since you have a good story, it would be more influential for you to give your goals a global outlook in the perspective of impact on the whole healthcare community.

I would love to know more about you! If you'd like, I'm happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in detail and suggest you schools which truly fit your personality and goals. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

Schopenhauer wrote:
Background and nationality: Black, Latino, Asian, Caucasian

Age - 25

Gender - Male

Education – Political Science with Economics minor from Top 14 undergrad

GPA - 2.9

GMAT: 730

Work experience and leadership: Current Healthcare Market Research Analyst focused on biotech/therapeutics drug development and health policy space, member of Catholic organization Knights of Columbus, volunteer for Meals on Wheels, volunteered for JDRF in college, member of fraternity
Extracurricular- Student Body Vice President, Senator, Christian Group Leader, Debate Team Member

Post MBA goals: Healthcare consulting short term, work at biotech hedge fund/PE firm long term

Anything else: Diagnosed with cancer before college affecting GPA, diagnosis led to interest in healthcare causing involvement in healthcare internships in college and eventual healthcare work today. Interested in furthering my healthcare work beyond current role and believe an MBA can achieve that. Also featured in major news publication and national news for successful cryptocurrency investments during 2017-2018 bitcoin boom, unsure how to include that in application yet though.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ndharni wrote:

Undergrad Information:

Post MBA goals:

Thank you!

Hey Ndharni,

First off I would like to say that since you are targeting a deferred MBA, you need to ensure that you present a well-groomed profile that is demanded during the admission process.

Commencing the evaluation with your academics, graduating with a GPA of 8.1 definitely showcases your academic prowess. As for your GMAT, a target score of 740+ is exactly what you should be looking at as it would open the doors for you to target most of the top business schools. One drawback on the academic front is that the brand value of your undergraduate college falls short. To counter this, you need to portray how despite not being from the IIT, NIT, or any other tier-1 school, you have strived to maintain a holistically developed profile by drawing attention towards aspects like your internships and extracurriculars.

Speaking of Extracurricular activities, they are a great way to showcase your proactive attitude and how you have emulated the theoretical knowledge you gained in classes and created a positive impact by utilizing them in real-life situations. Hence, the initiatives you have taken up should highlight your profile on all fronts. Highlight your leadership skills at the Design and Marketing Club by mentioning how many people you led, what were your roles, and what were the impacts that you created. In terms of social service initiatives, talk about the tasks that you have spearheaded and what difference you’ve brought about in the society.

Moving on to your work experience, an internship with a big brand like Amazon certainly plays a role in bolstering your profile, as you’d be facing competition from applicants from big4 companies. Besides, you have also worked for a startup, this vouches how you gained exposure in best of both the worlds. You can utilise your application to draw the focus on the quality of your work experience, leadership/managerial roles, projects undertaken, and impacts created in those positions. This would help you establish yourself as a strong candidate.

Given your school choice, Wharton falls under the ultra-dream category where your chances of acceptance are 30-40%. In such a case, you must ensure that you back your profile with a very strong application. An application through its various components such as essays, LORs and SOPs would help you to highlight your strengths and give apt justifications for your weaknesses to smooth over any flaws in your profile. Moreover, the application acts as the window through which the admission committee can peer into your skills, caliber, and your personality and thus play an important role in boosting your chances of acceptance.

Besides, it is always recommended to hedge your bets wisely and go for a mixed bag of 6-8 schools in the dream and competitive category. Having said this, if you are confused about which schools best fit your profile and requirements, you can take up our free profile evaluation service through which you can gauge the competitiveness of your profile, get a personalized recommendation on improving the same and receive a list of schools that best fit your goals.

Link for FREE Profile Evaluation:

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Background: Indian Male, 27 yrs old

GMAT: 740(50Q, 41V)

UG: Electronics Engineer at top tier University. 60% Aggregate Score
Active participation in college extracurricular activities in terms of getting sponsorships for multiple level of intra college events

PG:PGDM in Finance From Tier 2 college, 2.7/4 (relative scoring).
Was a part of Student Social Responsible Club and Rotaract club.

Why second MBA: International experience, Networking, Working in a financial hub.

Internships: three internships, one in finance (debt vertical), second in Finance too (But equity vertical) and the third one in Marketing (Customer Engagement)

Experience:5 years Full time, 4 years Part time
Startup experience: During my Bachelors, worked on brick and mortar test prep institute for 4 years part time (Hence the low grades) and 1 year full time along with few of my friends. After a friends and family round of around $65K we eventually evolved into Ed tech setup. Currently a silent partner.

2 years of Investment Banking experience post MBA, working on sector agnostic projects with partners located across six countries. i. Brought in 285 Million worth of debt mandate into the firm ii. Initiative on additional revenue stream to the firm.

2 years of Hedge fund operations experience at a one of the best hedge funds firms.

Post MBA goals: Work in a front office role at IB/VC/PE/Distressed assets divisions of reputed firms/Banks

Recommendations: Strong recommendations from the director and partner at my former firm.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
hims94 wrote:

Active participation in college extracurricular activities in terms of getting sponsorships for multiple level of intra college events

Why second MBA: International experience, Networking, Working in a financial hub.

Internships: three internships, one in finance (debt vertical), second in Finance too (But equity vertical) and the third one in Marketing (Customer Engagement)

Startup experience: During my Bachelors, worked on brick and mortar test prep institute for 4 years part time (Hence the low grades) and 1 year full time along with few of my friends. After a friends and family round of around $65K we eventually evolved into Ed tech setup. Currently a silent partner.

2 years of Investment Banking experience post MBA, working on sector agnostic projects with partners located across six countries. i. Brought in 285 Million worth of debt mandate into the firm ii. Initiative on additional revenue stream to the firm.

2 years of Hedge fund operations experience at a one of the best hedge funds firms.

Post MBA goals: Work in a front office role at IB/VC/PE/Distressed assets divisions of reputed firms/Banks

Recommendations: Strong recommendations from the director and partner at my former firm.

Hi Hims94,

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations.

My name is Priyanka, Client Manager at ARINGO.

You have a very interesting profile! From what I can see:

Second MBA – The need for the second MBA should be fully and precisely explained in the application essays.

Work Experience – Experience with top firms in the finance sector along with international exposure is AWESOME. We would like to see your CV to have a better understanding of the brands you have been associated with, roles and responsibilities, promotions, and the impact of your work. Also, your involvement in the Ed Tech start-up should be detailed out well in the essays.

Extracurricular activities/Volunteer Work – Well, you have mentioned active participation in extra-curricular activities during college days which is good. Any on-going activity or volunteer work?

Your career goals - Your career goals look fine as this is a logical extension of what you are doing presently but will be able to give more insights once you share your CV

All in all sounds like you have a good profile! If you send me your CV and other info on PRIYANKAK@ARINGO.com, I would love to connect you with our CEO who will be happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
hims94 wrote:

Hello hims94,

Thank you for your post. For Wharton, you will want to aim for a 750+ on the GMAT, particularly because of your low GPA. You do, however, have some strong work experience that enhances your candidacy. It is great to see that you have included specific results as well. Wharton really wants to know what makes you unique and how you have succeeded both professionally and personally in the past.

While you have great work experience to touch upon in your applications, a lot is also riding on your personal story. Personal story development is one of the hardest and most important application components – and a key component of our comprehensive packages.

If you would like to talk about your application strategy and how we can help you put together strong applications to give you the best chance at Wharton, do not hesitate to reach out: scott@personalmbacoach.com. Personal MBA Coach was founded by a Wharton alum and we send lots of clients to Wharton each year!

Good luck!
Personal MBA Coach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys. Would be awesome if someone could share a quick evaluation of my profile

Nationality: Pakistani
Undergrad: Top b-school in Pakistan - 3.72/4.00 CGPA - BSc (Accounting & Finance) and CFA - cleared all 3 levels with >90percentile score in consecutive attempts
1.5 years of work experience at Unilever
1.5 years (till date) of work experience in a tech startup with great international exposure across East Africa, South Asia and Middle East along with a promotion and an award.
GMAT 750 Q50 V41 IR8 BUT AWA3.0 - super surprised by my AWA 3.0, it was probably because my essay was very short (I guess).
Extra curriculars/spike factor: passionate mountain person with some decent high altitude trekking and climbing experience
MBA goals: living an awesome campus life, networking, broadening my horizon (no, seriously), switching geography (US or Canada) and breaking into consulting (preferably MBB)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Greetings admission consultants

Here is my profile - Indian

BBA - 65% out of 100% (India)
Master in Business strategy and Financial Technology from top Australian University (Yes, 2 specialization) (Top 20 percentile of the class)
Master in International Law (Law school ranked from 15 to 25).

GRE - 325

Work Ex

BBA - Big 4 ( 9 months)
Master - Mercer - Analyst & Senior analyst - (3.5 years) - Investment consulting team
Master in Law - Investment associate Pvt banking - National bank of Canada (6 months)

Extra cir. - Playing badmintion, squash, chess & cricket
Trained in boxing & kickboxing

Age = 30 this year
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Xerriorist:

You have a very interesting profile. I am not sure Wharton is going to make a ton of sense both from an admissions perspective and a career perspective.

On the latter, why do you want an MBA? You have a ton of master degrees. Your reason for obtaining an MBA (in addition to Why Wharton) is going to be a significant hurdle.

As for the former, all of these master degrees might actually work against you. I fear you might come off as a degree padder even if your reasons for earning such degrees is entirely legitimate. Similarly to the point above, you will need to make sure you address this issue preemptively.

I am also not seeing the 'wow' factor in the extracurricular activities. Do you have much depth in all these interests you mention? For example, are you on a cricket team? What about chess? Any awards or recognitions? It's great that you are so involved, but it's important to see leadership and community involvement both inside and outside of work.

You definitely have a compelling background, but tying together the narrative (both pre- and post-MBA) and differentiating yourself (coming from a competitive demographic) is going to be imperative if you want a shot at Wharton.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi guys. I'm a Indian candidate looking to do MBA

Age = 27

# Educational Background is as follows

1) Bachelors of Business studies = 68%

2) Master of economic policy from Australian National university (50% reduction in tuition fees)

# Extra Cir = *Played district level chess & cricket
*State level player in tennis and Badminton
*Black belt in 2 martial art forms

# Work ex.

Started working after my Master completion went straight for my master after completing my BBS

# Department of Finance & treasury as a economist. Received 1 promotions till now, 2.5 years of work ex as of now

1) Assist in undertaking in-depth economic analysis and research on policy and regulatory issues
2) Prepare written and verbal advice on analytical issues for key stakeholders
3) Participate in negotiations and consultation with a broad range of external stakeholders
4) Provide support to the Commissioner and Director in the preparation of meetings, presentations and conferences

# Ord Minnett - Senior Analyst - Private capital - 1 year

1) Facilitating communication with new investment prospects and engage with companies to evaluate investment eligibility according to our investment mandate;
2) Shortlisting and prepare briefing materials on new investments, and collaborate with the team in analysing new opportunities and building investment thesis;
3) Building investment and company financial models:
4) Undertaking competitor analysis and preparing associated reports;
5) Absolute and relative valuation analysis;
6) Investment return profiling;
7) Undertaking due diligence; and
8) Preparing investment rationale and investment committee papers

GRE = 325

Language = 4 = French, Hindi, English & Italian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM