Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi guys, I would greatly appreciate it if you use your fortune-telling powers to evaluate my chances of getting invited to Wharton R2 interviews.
- Nationality: Egypt.
- Background: Medical Doctor (M.D.)
- University: Most prestigious medical school in Egypt.
- GPA: 3.82
- GRE: Q:162 (79%) V: 159 (83%)
- Four years of US-based experience in the field of cancer & Molecular diagnostics.
- 3 promotions. From Sales to Marketing to Product development & Strategic planning.
- Published researcher in Biotechnology and Stem Cells form elite US institutions.
- Current: Founder & CEO of a Molecular Diagnostics Consulting Company.
- Extracurriculars: President & Founder of the biggest Student Club. President of the Student Union.
- LORs: President of the company I worked for reflecting on a successful business track record. & University Professor & mentor reflecting on a history of leadership in extracurricular activities.
- Essay: Influences that impacted my decision to pursue medical entrepreneurship, why an MBA & post-MBA goals.
Thanks & I really appreciate your efforts so much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
AziMani wrote:
Hi guys, I would greatly appreciate it if you use your fortune-telling powers to evaluate my chances of getting invited to Wharton R2 interviews.
- Four years of US-based experience in the field of cancer & Molecular diagnostics.
- 3 promotions. From Sales to Marketing to Product development & Strategic planning.
- Published researcher in Biotechnology and Stem Cells form elite US institutions.
- Extracurriculars: President & Founder of the biggest Student Club. President of the Student Union.
- LORs: President of the company I worked for reflecting on a successful business track record. & University Professor & mentor reflecting on a history of leadership in extracurricular activities.
- Essay: Influences that impacted my decision to pursue medical entrepreneurship, why an MBA & post-MBA goals.

I think you will definitely get an interview.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't know how you executed the application, but this looks very strong to me. FYI work/client references are preferred to academic references in most cases. AziMani

AziMani wrote:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi all,

I am applying to the full-time program at wharton, and would love to get feedback on what my chances are.

Undergrad: electrical engineering at university in Houston.
GPA: 3.74 - Magna Cum Laude
Work: 4+ years work experience, with clear progression in scope. Completed my professional engineer (PE) exam and got my license.
Goal: Longer term to move into a GM role over a business, or consulting.
GMAT: Just started studying so no official score yet. I'm hoping to aim for 730.

Do I have a shot at getting in?

Thanks in advance!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quyenle94 wrote:
Hi all,

I am applying to the full-time program at wharton, and would love to get feedback on what my chances are.

Undergrad: electrical engineering at university in Houston.
GPA: 3.74 - Magna Cum Laude
Work: 4+ years work experience, with clear progression in scope. Completed my professional engineer (PE) exam and got my license.
Goal: Longer term to move into a GM role over a business, or consulting.
GMAT: Just started studying so no official score yet. I'm hoping to aim for 730.

Do I have a shot at getting in?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

Based on your stats and description of your experience, you have a decent "baseline" as a Wharton candidate. Now let's dive into your profile more...

Pros:
- Your high GPA even with a tough major like EE (Wharton will evaluate the undergrad you went to as well)
- Solid work experience & career progression
- You have professional license
- You have a clear vision of what you want out of an MBA

Cons:
- Your demographic is one of the more competitive business applicant pools (engineering)
- You're pursuing a career path that are extremely popular with b-school applicants (consulting)

Unknowns
- Do you have any extracurricular activities?
- Your GMAT - you should get at least a 730 for Wharton
- Quality of your recommendation letters
- Quality of your essays
- Are you a cultural fit for Wharton?

In order to overcome the perceived weaknesses in your profile, you have to address the "Cons" and "Unknowns" head on. Given that you're in a competitive pool applying to a competitive school with goals that a lot of people will be pursuing as well, it's absolutely CRITICAL for you to differentiate yourself through your essays. The "Unknowns" are great OPPORTUNITIES to improve your profile - make sure you have solid recommenders and crystalize the connections between your past experiences and future goals. Do some research on Wharton's culture and position yourself as someone who will fit in with their student body. Also, if you're light on extracurricular activities, it's time to pick up a couple before you apply this year.

Wharton is not out of the question for you based on your stats. However, it's not going to be a walk in the park and you'll still need to put in the effort to address the "Cons" and "Unknowns" to make yourself a competitive applicant for Wharton and Wharton a more realistic target for you. Hope that helps! If you have further questions and would like a more in depth analysis, feel free to schedule a free consultation with us and we're more than happy to do an in-depth analysis of your profile: https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi,

Here is my profile.

10th-78%
12th-66%
Bachelor of Engineering - 8.6(CGPA) in Mechanical Engineering from India
Work Experience - 4.9 years .Working as Data Analyst in TCS in India. Having Experience of leading team of 10 people for more than 1.5 years. A active member of corporate social responsibility(CSR) and the active member of toastmaster club and other club that are working for NGOs that mainly deal with student education locally. Regular interaction with client and management people from company and outside but no international exposure yet.
GMAT- Giving in FEB end(First attempt)

Certification credential - I am Charter Financial analyst(CFA) Level 3 Candidate.
National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM) Certified in Derivative and Market
Certified in Financial Modelling.

Courses for MBA- Finance

Please let me know the expected GMAT score also that i should aim for.

any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks and Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Hello.

Originally posted by Shishou on 14 Feb 2020, 09:55.
Last edited by Shishou on 05 Jul 2020, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi,
Hope whoever reading this is doing good and finds themselves healthy.

Can someone review my profile and give some feedback ?I would greatly appreciate that.

Demography: Indian Male, 25
GMAT: Yet to take. Confident of getting atleast 740. Aiming for a 760.
GPA: 8.7/10(98 percentile); BE. Electrical and Electronics Engineering at Anna University
Work Experience: 4 years in Software Engineering(5 yrs at the time of matriculating). 2.5 years as a Software Engineer an Indian Saas based Company, 1.5 years as a Senior Software Engineer at a leading US based FinTech company.

Accomplishments at work:
- Initiated, designed, developed and delivered the idea of a new product that would automate the process at work - there by improving productivity of the team by more than 50%
- Took on a dumped product which had lost its credibility, re-designed it, re-engineered it, turned it around and delivered the new version 2.0 with enhanced capabilities. Also aggressively marketed the products to the stakeholders who had lost confidence on the product. The outcomes helped increase the credibility of the team and the product, which lead to our team being bestowed upon with some challenging and potential projects. The product saved the company a revenue of more than a million dollars USD.
-Was awarded the Org Champion award for the quarter for the above accomplishment.
- Took on a non-technical role which was a team of creative and innovative engineers to suggest and drive ideas related to workplace strategies.
- Was able to drive another product idea that would address the difficulties faced by the admin team and tried to find an creative and innovative solution; negotiated with multiple potential vendor partners to develop the product externally and was able to drive the deal to a closure, which was a win-win situation for both the parties involved. This saved the centre a lot of money in comparison to previous process and also saved several man-hours put into this tedious process.

Extracurriculars:
-Core Lead of the "Sustainability" wing of the Company's Social presence Org - Organise various webinars, sessions and talks on Sustainability in collaboration with various NGOs; Organised volunteer drives for the company with various NGO partners.
-Board Member of the "Tech for Good" wing of the Company's Social presence Org - Partnered with various NGOs in delivering technology solutions for various problems that would benefit the underprivileged students.
-Member of the Wellness Committee at the Company that runs various initiatives focused on employee wellness.
-Was the General Secretary of the Department of Electrical Engineering Student Association, and was successful in organising IEEE international conference, symposium, Project Expo etc.Also as a Secretary of the student body would collect feedback and concerns from the students and bring that to the College management's notice, thereby helping them with some potential solutions.
-Was the Student Placement Coordinator for the Department of Electrical Engineering and helped organise Campus placement drives, various placement training sessions for candidates etc.

Hobbies: Play hockey- represented the company in tournaments
Avid marathon runner. Participated in numerous charity marathons conducted around my neighbourhood.
Part-time teaching at Orphanages

Post MBA Goal:
I want to pivot to Product Management or Tech Consulting from an Engineering role and work for a top Software Tech company.

Do I stand a chance at Wharton given that I come from a competitive highly overrepresented group.
I am considering these schools : Wharton, Kellogg, MIT Sloan, Haas, Ross, Tepper, UCLA. If possible please comment on my school selection.
Also should I apply this year R1 2020 or wait and apply the next year R1 2021?
Will there be any disadvantage if I apply in R2 2020?

Originally posted by Gokul20 on 25 Feb 2020, 02:02.
Last edited by Gokul20 on 05 May 2020, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Hi experts! Would be grateful for an honest review of my profile chances (planning to apply for 2021 intake) -

1. Indian Male 26 year-old based in Dubai, GMAT 730(V 40, Q 49, 96th percentile)

2. Education:
1) Bachelors in Business Statistics (University Rank 1)
2) Chartered Accountant (Country-level rank: Top 50 among ~150k exam takers)
3) CFA (All 3 levels cleared - can apply for the Charter if it is worth it for apps- some advice on this would be valuable)

3. Certifications:
1) Adv Dip in Management Accounting (CIMA, UK)
2) Business Analytics (HBS Online)
3) SQL Bootcamp (Udemy)
4) Fundamentals of Digital Marketing (Google Digital Garage)

4. Languages: English, Hindi, German (A2)

5. Professional Work Experience:
1) 1+ yrs with leading tech startup in Dubai in Strategic Finance - financial modeling, forecasting, analytics, cost optimization (working closely with colleagues from 15 nationalities)
2) 4 years with 2 leading CPG companies in India (1 F500 & other part of big Indian conglomerate group) - different functions within finance (audit, fp&a, reporting, brand finance), 2 promotions, managing 1 qualified management accountant direct report, delivered multiple cost optimization projects (won Best Cost savings initiative award), 2 other awards for different projects that led to strong financial achievement, part of transformation projects, conducted cost-saving workshops and MS Excel trainings at manufacturing locations for shop floor staff
3) 2 years with a Big 4 audit firm (audit associate as a part of Chartered accountant course) - Led audit engagements independently, received an award

6. Extra-curriculars:
1) Running (several half marathons - have suffered from asthma since childhood)
2) Blogging & group management (15 + finance-related blog posts for finance pages with ~250k readership as well as a software provider's website), Manager of a LinkedIn group with ~10k members
3) Associated with an NGO involved in teaching underprivileged kids through interactive learning techniques
4) Salsa dancing (learnt for over 2 years, passed level 1 exam conducted by ISTD, UK)

7. International exposure: 1+ year working in Dubai with cross-cultural team, 4 years elementary school in the US, Worked with international teams on transformation projects while at F500 company in India

8. Post-MBA Goals: Top tier consulting or investment banking for few years, then back to industry in strategy + finance leadership roles
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V49
Send PM
Hi everyone!
First of all I’d like to thank everyone for taking the time to read through and respond to my profile.
I’m planning to apply for the Aug-2021 intake (basically applying this Aug 2020), and appreciate your insights for my profile.

Background:
Nationality: Indian, Male, 25 years old
GMAT: 730 (Q50, V38, IR7, AWA5.5)
TOEFL: 114 (R30, L30, S28, W26)

Education:
B.E in Computer Science from BITS Pilani (non IIT - top university in India), GPA: 9.55/10 (Top-5 of my batch of 650+)

Professional Experience:
1. By the time of Joining i.e Aug-2022, I will have 4 years of experience in a US based cloud company (Nutanix).
2. Moved into a new role of Product Management - which contributes to half of my total experience.
3. Technology consulting for IRENA on the side for about 9 months now - on sustainable energy technologies

International Exposure:
1. Worked for Empa (Swiss Lab) - on a 3 month internship with 3 professors. [REMOTE]
2. Travelled to Bay Area (my company HQ) for projects.
3. Handle customer requests and discussions in the EMEA/Americas/India regions. [REMOTE]
4. Have been working for IRENA (international renewable energy agency) - collaborating with researchers, technologists, etc. from over 5 nationalities [REMOTE]

Achievements:
1. One of the few employees to get a quick promotion in 1 year.
2. youngest PM in the entire company of 5000+ people.
3. Undergraduate merit scholar (for all semesters of study).

Co-Curriculars:
1. Started an NGO chapter in Bangalore - formed and led a team of 5 - deals with financial education for the underprivileged (> 1.5 year)
- conducted camps, collaborated with other NGOs to increase our reach to over 1000+ people, 1 case study of helping a group of people
2. Volunteered for another NPO remotely - creating a platform called “sing for needs” - product owner leading a team of 8 to deliver the solution (~ 1 year)
3. Worked as a mentor to a undergraduate startup (~ 1 year)
- helped scale their business to 50+ clients in 6 months (from 10)
- helped the team to get incubated at Atal Incubation Centre

Post MBA goals:
Goal-1: I would like to work in technology in a general management or a product management role for a tech company like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Tesla, Apple, etc.
Goal-2 (Backup): I want to try management consulting for a while before moving to tech

Questions:
Is my GMAT score enough to get into Wharton (with some scholarship)? Since Indians generally tend to have higher scores?

Originally posted by rachitkansal on 01 May 2020, 07:26.
Last edited by rachitkansal on 01 May 2020, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Yes - being an Indian male means you are expected to have 750+ in GMAT in most cases.
For your goal 2 - You mean, you'll arrive in Jan 2021 and get internship in May 2021 ? You have to work in the US for 2 full semesters before getting F1-CPT to do internship in the US - of course you can spend summer outside US doing internship but just wanted to make sure you know all the visa rules.

I think (just my 2 cents) that your profile is more suited for HaaS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
I have just started to look at MBA programs, and am thinking of applying to Wharton for the 2023 class. I want a quick idea of where I stand, and if Wharton is a school that I should apply to, and if not, other universities I should to instead.

Background and nationality:
  • Indian, American citizen. I am 26 years old. I've schooled here since I was 10.
Undergrad Information:
  • Georgia Tech, Computer Science program. 3.83 GPA, honor's list.
  • Georgia Tech Masters in Science program, degree in Machine Learning, 3.87 GPA
GMAT:
  • I haven't taken it yet, planning on a July/August exam date, and aiming for 720+. Right now, I am studying 5 days a week, 2 hours a day.
Work experience and leadership:
  • I have internship experience from 2 companies, one of them between my undergrad and grad school, and one during grad school.
  • After my undergrad, I had a 6-month full-time position as an engineer in San Francisco at a Startup.
  • After the company had lay-offs in which I was affected, I decided to join Grad School at Georgia Tech (2nd time) and pursue my Master's Program in Machine Learning.
  • After Grad School, I joined my current company, as an engineer in advanced research. I do not get any leadership experience from my job, but have been working on leadership projects outside of my job. I have been at the company since July 2017, and it's my primary work experience (3 years, not including internships).
Community and others
  • I have been in Toastmasters for 3 years, and completed my first year as a President of the club this month. The club has been active for 30+ years, and as president, I had to make sure that all annual club accomplishments were met to get it through the Toastmaster's President's Distinguished status. I had to manage a team of 6 people, and learnt good leadership skills through this role. I am planning on running for a 2nd term at this club, and working on these skills for the next year as well.
  • I volunteer hands-on with a local Atlanta Food Bank, serving the homeless on the weekends. I don't get a lot of leadership experience from this organization, but I have volunteered on average 20 hours per month at the group for the last 2 years.
  • I am involved with multiple groups within my own company, including a group for Diversity and Inclusion for Asian Employees, where I am the Communications Chair on the Board of this group.
Post MBA goals
  • I want to do a career change after an MBA. As an engineer, I don't get to drive projects within my company, and I haven't had that opportunity in my previous company as well. My post-graduate degree helped me do a career shift into research, and I am part of a very small team within a company of over 10,000. But even with a research-focused team, the work we do has often not progressed beyond proof-of-concepts and light-adoption. I believe that a big part of that is how my team is managed. So instead of staying on an as an engineer, I want to instead launch projects, manage them, and get them through the finish line where they can be showcased and have bigger impact. My main post-mba goals are to shift from engineering to management, and instead of waiting for a natural career progression, I want to do it sooner.
Anything else?
  • I have 2 approved Patents (through my company) from the US Patent Office. Through my company, I have also filed 9 other patents in the last 2 years which have yet to be approved, and are going through the patent process. Of these, I am the solo author on 1, the primary (first) author on 3, and co-author on others.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Hi! I would really appreciate a profile evaluation. Thanks!

Background:
- Mexican
- Male
- 29 years old

· Education:
- Universidad Anahuac Norte (Top 5)
- 79/100
- Bachelor in Business Administration

· Other coursework or post-undergraduate education:
- MBAMath

· GMAT:
- No oficial score yet. Realistic score 680-700

· Work experience (finance):
- 1.5 years in a boutique bank as Credit Director with a team of 2 people (participated with the company to create the credit area from scratch)
- 1 year as Credit Analyst and on the 2nd year got promoted to Credit Coordinator
- 8 months as IB Analyst
- 1.5 years as an intern in HSBC Mexico

· Extracurricular activities:
- Running (Chicago 2018 Marathon, Mexico 5-pax SalaValle 120km)
- Road biking
- Former board member of a nonprofit organization for 1.5 years
- Volunteering in the sep-19 earthquake in Mexico City

· Post-MBA goals:
- Transition into private equity.

· Other information relevant to your profile:
- Casual chess player
- Strong recommendations and essays
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate any insight!

24 year-old white American male
UG Degree from Top-15 Liberal Arts College, Double-major in Economics and Mathematics & Statistics, 3.7 GPA
720 GMAT (plan on re-taking for 750+)
3 Years Work Experience as Big 4 M&A Consultant (think Strategy&, EY-Parthenon, Deloitte Monitor)
Junior Board member at largest NY non-for-profit (also project leader and dedicated volunteer)
President of Finance club during UG years
Post-MBA goal is IB (Life Sciences M&A)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ra50111 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate any insight!

24 year-old white American male
UG Degree from Top-15 Liberal Arts College, Double-major in Economics and Mathematics & Statistics, 3.7 GPA
720 GMAT (plan on re-taking for 750+)
3 Years Work Experience as Big 4 M&A Consultant (think Strategy&, EY-Parthenon, Deloitte Monitor)
Junior Board member at largest NY non-for-profit (also project leader and dedicated volunteer)
President of Finance club during UG years
Post-MBA goal is IB (Life Sciences M&A)

Hi Ra50111,

We'll need to now more about your work experience- what you have done, how competitive has it been for you and how have you fard as compared to peers. Additionally, what are your work-related achievements?
The volunteering experience sounds good and Wharton students do a lot on the social impact front, so you can highlight this work in the application as an area where you will expand your skills or contribute at some of Wharton's own initiatives.
The goals look aligned with your M&A experience - you should be able to connect the dots and present a solid story that also justifies the need for an MBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM