Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 06:37 It is currently 12 May 2024, 06:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Long Passagex   Social Sciencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33605 [0]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: Structural unemployment—the unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Hello Teitsuya

The official answer of this question is C and not B and below is the OE.

Official Explanation

5. The passage is primarily concerned with

Difficulty Level: 550

Main idea

This question depends on understanding the passage as a whole in order to identify its primary concern. The first paragraph defines structural unemployment (which the passage, in its second paragraph, indicates is a serious problem). The second paragraph describes a major factor that can cause structural unemployment, as well as some steps that might be taken to alleviate it. Finally, the third paragraph identifies possible effects of structural unemployment, including wage and price inflation.

A. The first paragraph clarifies the definition of structural unemployment, but this definition is not the passage's primary concern.

B. The passage's second paragraph indicates some ways that an increase in structural unemployment can be mitigated, but nowhere does the passage suggest that the condition can be eliminated entirely.

C. Correct. The passage discusses the problem of structural unemployment, explaining how it can arise and what some of its consequences may be.

D. The passage does suggest some ways in which structural unemployment might be alleviated, but this kind of unemployment is not characterized as an effect of a social policy. Rather, it is a state of economic affairs.

E. The second paragraph identifies some steps that could be taken to correct a particular situation of worker displacement. It does not, however, evaluate those steps.

The correct answer is C.

Teitsuya wrote:
RC00144-07
The passage is primarily concerned with

A. clarifying the definition of a concept
B. proposing a way to eliminate an undesirable condition
C. discussing the sources and consequences of a problem
D. suggesting ways to alleviate the effects of a particular social policy
E. evaluating the steps that have been taken to correct an imbalance

Hi Sajjad1994

Can you help me this question? I picked E instead of B.

Thank you. Yeah it's C. completely spaced out today lol.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 159
GMAT 1: 530 Q36 V27
Send PM
Re: Structural unemployment—the unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
Can anyone please explain the 2nd question? Am I missing anything from the passage?

AbdurRakib wrote:
The passage suggests that a potential outcome of higher structural unemployment is

A. increased public spending for social services
B. placement of workers in jobs for which they are not qualified
C. higher wages for those workers who have skills that are in demand
D. an increase in the length of time jobs remain unfilled
E. a shift in the government’s economic policy priorities

I chose B because of the 1st sentence of the 2nd para.

Quote:
Because technological change is likely to displace some workers, it is a major factor in producing structural unemployment.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Nis20 wrote:
Can anyone please explain the 2nd question? Am I missing anything from the passage?

AbdurRakib wrote:
The passage suggests that a potential outcome of higher structural unemployment is

A. increased public spending for social services
B. placement of workers in jobs for which they are not qualified
D. an increase in the length of time jobs remain unfilled
E. a shift in the government’s economic policy priorities

I chose B because of the 1st sentence of the 2nd para.

Quote:
Because technological change is likely to displace some workers, it is a major factor in producing structural unemployment.

Hi Nis20,

Question 2: The passage suggests that a potential outcome of higher structural unemployment is

Quote:

In the above question we are asked a potential outcome of higher structural unemployment and not a major factor in producing structural unemployment. Thus, Option B is incorrect.

Option C can be inferred from the lines: "Increased structural unemployment, should it occur, makes it difficult for the economy to achieve desired low rates of unemployment along with low rates of inflation. If there is a growing pool of workers who lack the necessary skills for the available jobs, increases in total labor demand will rapidly generate shortages of qualified workers. As the wages of those workers are bid up, labor costs, and thus prices, rise. "

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Total time taken 7 min,07 sec including both, passage reading and selection of answer option.
All correct. Very good passage.

Thanks!!
Jyotirmay
(12th standard student, preparing for CLAT)

:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Re: Structural unemploymentthe unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
Kudos
KarishmaB Pls explain Q6 - B and D. I also do not understand how attrition can be a reason for no unemployment? Rather attrition should be the reason for the same. And so what if "normal attrition is sufficent to reduce the size of workforce?" Well that us a bad thing that attrition is sufficient to reduce the size of workforce because that is what is causing unemplyment
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65238 [5]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Re: Structural unemploymentthe unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ag153 wrote:
KarishmaB Pls explain Q6 - B and D. I also do not understand how attrition can be a reason for no unemployment? Rather attrition should be the reason for the same. And so what if "normal attrition is sufficent to reduce the size of workforce?" Well that us a bad thing that attrition is sufficient to reduce the size of workforce because that is what is causing unemplyment

Q 6
According to the passage, small downward shifts in the demand for labor will not usually cause unemployment because

A. such shifts are frequently accompanied by upswings in the economy
B. such shifts usually occur slowly
C. workers can be encouraged to move to where there are jobs
D. normal attrition is often sufficient to reduce the size of the work force
E. workers are usually flexible enough to learn new skills and switch to new jobs

While technological advance almost invariably results in shifts in demands for different types of workers, it does not necessarily result in unemployment. Relatively small or gradual changes in demand are likely to cause little unemployment. In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations.

This is what is given to us about "small shifts in demand". It doesn't cause unemployment. Normal attrition is sufficient to reduce the size of work force in the affected occupations. It means that if demand decreases a bit in certain occupations, normal attrition is enough to take care of it without the need to remove people from jobs. Normally, people keep moving from one job to another. In occupations where demand decreases slightly, once someone quits, a new person will not be hired. So no one will need to be fired. Hence normal attrition will take care of the small decreases in demand.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Structural unemploymentthe unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Quote:
According to the passage, small downward shifts in the demand for labor will not usually cause unemployment because

E. workers are usually flexible enough to learn new skills and switch to new jobs

While technological advance almost invariably results in shifts in demands for different types of workers, it does not necessarily result in unemployment. Relatively small or gradual changes in demand are likely to cause little unemployment. In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations. Relatively large or rapid changes, however, can cause serious problems.

Hi AndrewN Sir

The question seems simple yet confusing.

The question asks: low demand of labor workers will not cause unemployment - why?
Mind says it still creates at least some unemployment but as given in passage ", it does not necessarily result in unemployment." I move on to answer the question:

When I read D: normal attrition is often sufficient to reduce the size of the work force.
I can't understand how attirition is the reason for not causing unemployment. Infact it seems after low demand , attrition is adding further to unemployment.
(attrition : remove workers and not replaced )
In passage , statements are given as facts one after another. I don't know how can I make it as cause ( because)

What Important piece of logic am I missing here ?
That's why the question seems simple yet confusing for me:(

Thanks!AndrewN

Hello, mSKR. You ask a question that touches on a point that a client of mine brought up during a recent lesson: how do you identify a premise or conclusion in a passage? We were talking about CR, but the snippet of text you quoted above fits the bill. Ask yourself if you could place a because or a therefore ahead of the sentence to run a quick identification test: because introduces a premise, therefore a conclusion. If we take the first sentence as more informational or contextual, we can then test subsequent sentences in the manner I have outlined:

While technological advance almost invariably results in shifts in demands for different types of workers, it does not necessarily result in unemployment. [Because/Therefore] Relatively small or gradual changes in demand are likely to cause little unemployment. [Because/Therefore] In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations. [Because/Therefore] Relatively large or rapid changes, however, can cause serious problems.

The first and second sentences do indeed provide "statements... given as facts one after another," but that third sentence really seems to offer an explanation for the second, answering the question, Why are relatively small or gradual changes in demand likely to cause little unemployment? The final line from the excerpt goes back to adding another statement or claim: neither because nor therefore will work. It is this relationship between the second and third sentences that allows us to arrive at the correct answer to the question.

Remember, you should be able to find the answer directly in most according to the passage questions. In this case, the keywords from the question stem pair up nicely with those in the excerpt you quoted, but the missing link appears to have been an inability to identify the premise or support for the statement given in the second sentence.

I hope that helps clarify the matter. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew

AndrewN

Since, I see that you were active on this form, I would be so appreciative to learn of your thoughts on the following:
For "it can be inferred from the passage that even when there are unemployed workers, labor shortages are still likely to occur if" For choice C, is "exceptionally low" what makes this answer choice incorrect?  The passage defines structural unemployment as this imbalance and with this imbalance, labor shortages MAY occur. I am just confused because the passage does not seem to explicitly say that there is a correlation in a certain direction at all (e.g., less structural unemployment = less imbalance or more structural unemployment = more imbalance.)

Furthermore, what does the passage mean by "capital movement"?

Thank you for your time.

KarishmaB
I am not sure if Andrew is still active. I see that you recently weighed in. I would be so appreciative to learn of your thoughts. Thank you for all of your help. My big exam day is in two days.... almost at the finish line :)

Originally posted by woohoo921 on 04 Sep 2022, 09:57.
Last edited by woohoo921 on 19 Sep 2022, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
RC00144-06
The passage suggests that the phenomenon of combined unemployment and inflation is

A. a socioeconomic problem that can only be addressed by government intervention
B. a socioeconomic problem that can be characteristic of periods of structural unemployment
C. an economic problem that results from government intervention in management-labor relations
D. an economic problem that results from imperfect applications of technology
E. an economic problem that can be eliminated by relatively small changes in the labor force

Although I marked the correct option for this question, I did that using POE.

Lately I am trying to emphasize more on the exact/correct reasons to not select an incorrect answer choice and select a correct answer choice.
Can experts GMATNinja RonTargetTestPrep KarishmaB help me on the my understanding ?

A. a socioeconomic problem that can only be addressed by government intervention
The word "ONLY" is a strong word. Although the passage mentions that govt is doing something for the inflation, but it is nowhere mentioned that it is the only thing to tackle the problem.
B. a socioeconomic problem that can be characteristic of periods of structural unemployment
a socioeconomic problem - "phenomenon of combined unemployment and inflation"
I do not understand - "characteristic of periods of structural unemployment" from the question stem. What exactly does it mean ?
Does it mean that the whenever structural unemployment occurs (at different times/periods) , it also causes inflation ?
C. an economic problem that results from government intervention in management-labor relations
Govt intervening in labor management has not be mentioned in the passage.
The first sentence of the 2nd para states - "technological change is a major factor in producing structural unemployment."
The question asks about both - "phenomenon of combined unemployment and inflation".
Technology definitely causes some unemployment , but we can't be sure that this also cause the inflation.
E. an economic problem that can be eliminated by relatively small changes in the labor force
Not sure if changes in labor force will definitely help with tackling the inflation issue.
May be it does , but the inflation can still be caused by some reasons other than unemployment.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65238 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
perseverance2021 wrote:
RC00144-06
The passage suggests that the phenomenon of combined unemployment and inflation is

Although I marked the correct option for this question, I did that using POE.

Lately I am trying to emphasize more on the exact/correct reasons to not select an incorrect answer choice and select a correct answer choice.
Can experts GMATNinja RonTargetTestPrep KarishmaB help me on the my understanding ?

The word "ONLY" is a strong word. Although the passage mentions that govt is doing something for the inflation, but it is nowhere mentioned that it is the only thing to tackle the problem.
a socioeconomic problem - "phenomenon of combined unemployment and inflation"
I do not understand - "characteristic of periods of structural unemployment" from the question stem. What exactly does it mean ?
Does it mean that the whenever structural unemployment occurs (at different times/periods) , it also causes inflation ?

Look at the last paragraph:

Increased structural unemployment makes it difficult for the economy to achieve low unemployment along with low rates of inflation. If there is a growing pool of workers who lack the necessary skills for the available jobs (i.e. if there is structural unemployment), increases in total labor demand will ... and thus prices, rise. This phenomenon may be an important factor in the rising trend of unemployment combined with inflation. Government policy has placed a priority on reducing inflation, but these efforts have nevertheless caused unemployment to increase.

A period of structural employment can have unemployment + inflation at the same time.

Normally, one would expect that when economy does well, unemployment is low but because people have more money and they spend more, inflation increases.
When economy doesn't do well, unemployment is high but inflation is low.

So one would normally expect that if one of them is high, the other is low. But periods of structural unemployment could have inflation too.

The paragraph also mentions that Govt has tried to control inflation but that has made unemployment worse. So even the Govt hasn't been able to resolve this issue. Whether it can be addressed in another way, we don't know.

Answer (B)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65238 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:

KarishmaB
I am not sure if Andrew is still active. I see that you recently weighed in. I would be so appreciative to learn of your thoughts. Thank you for all of your help. My big exam day is in two days.... almost at the finish line :)

I think AndrewN is active in the forum but since your exam is coming up (Best wishes!), here is my analysis:

RC00144-05
It can be inferred from the passage that even when there are unemployed workers, labor shortages are still likely to occur if

A. the inflation rate is unusually high
B. there is insufficient technological innovation
C. the level of structural unemployment is exceptionally low
D. the jobs available in certain places require skills that the labor force in those areas lacks
E. the workers in some industries are dissatisfied with the pay offered in those industries

In usual circumstances, we expect that either there is unemployment or there is shortage of labour, not both.
Shortage of labour means jobs available but people not available. Unemployment means people available but jobs not available.
So if there is unemployment, people are available and if there is shortage of labour, jobs are also available - then you would match the two and both issues will get resolved.

Why would both issues persist? If the jobs available do not match the people available i.e. the skill required is not possessed by people in that area.
Hence (D) is correct.

What is structural unemployment? That technology advanced and made people with certain skills redundant and hence created unemployment. The advanced tech also created a requirement for a certain skill that people in the area do not possess so it created labour shortages also.
Hence, in areas of high structural unemployment (say major upgrade in tech), we will find that unemployment and shortage of labour co-exist.
Option (C) says the opposite "the level of structural unemployment is exceptionally LOW." This is incorrect.

Capital movement is the movement of money that is invested. If a place has high structural unemployment, the new capital investments (new tech, upgrades etc.) can be avoided in those areas and instead can be diverted to areas where people with relevant skills live.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 497
Send PM
KarishmaB

Please help me to understand logic for D.

small shifts in demand will not cause unemployment. How?
If a person quits, he/she is unemployed. So how come attrition does not lead to unemployment.

Attrition could be people leaving on their own or fired by the company.

Thank you for your help!

KarishmaB wrote:
ag153 wrote:

Q 6

While technological advance almost invariably results in shifts in demands for different types of workers, it does not necessarily result in unemployment. Relatively small or gradual changes in demand are likely to cause little unemployment. In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations.

This is what is given to us about "small shifts in demand". It doesn't cause unemployment. Normal attrition is sufficient to reduce the size of work force in the affected occupations. It means that if demand decreases a bit in certain occupations, normal attrition is enough to take care of it without the need to remove people from jobs. Normally, people keep moving from one job to another. In occupations where demand decreases slightly, once someone quits, a new person will not be hired. So no one will need to be fired. Hence normal attrition will take care of the small decreases in demand.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14021 posts