Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Review - ORM, Good GMAT, Poor GPA [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
OK 47 quant is passable for your target schools so I am not worried there. I do feel you need a better GMAT to be competitive at your reach schools and honestly, I would change your reach schools. Both are very stats oriented; Yale is cherry picking top scores and anal about grades (to increase their ranking) so thats just not a great investment of your time. You will have much better odds at Booth or Kellogg I think. CBS is a tough nut to crack right now because there are a lot of New Yorkers who have skipped their MBA because of COVID now applying EA.

The best strategy for ORM in ethnicity and work background is to apply EA so concentrate on those schools: Darden, Duke, Tuck and IESE if inclined (I feel they have much better outcomes - not sure about MBB placement out of Judge among those who were not in consulting before). And my former IESE grads are in Amsterdam & Germany so you are not tied to Spain. I really think 2 year programs are ideal so you have a chance to rerecruit effectively salvaging the value of doing an MBA.

I think the ECs you have will help you with the contribution essays for Duke & Johnson; possibly other schools: show impact at work and demonstrate contribution/leadership/well roundedness is the strategy here. The financial services piece will help with these schools as well where you could focus on pivoting your role but staying in the same industry as your Plan B for Duke.

For the grades bit, not sure MBAMath will help because your GMAT score doesn't indicate an inability to do math as much as the score is not super competitive for yoru profile group. if you have the bandwidth I would go with HBSCore and they have a class starting next month that ends 8/30. I'm not sure what your work hours look like and I love to plan in advance but its 5/21 and you have 3+ solid months to prep so it would not be fatal to give the GMAT another shot (or the EA since its accepted at a lot of schools.) There isnt a ton of wiggle room but there is some.

Definitely use the optional essay; within that, make sure they are clear as to why your MBA grades will be better than your UG grades.

JB321 wrote:
Demographics
Ethnicity: ORM
Nationality: American

Undergrad Education and Stats
Undergrad School: Public Ivy (Ranked Top 5 in Field)
Undergrad Major: Engineering
GPA: 3.0 (a few points higher if only include classes in major)
GMAT: 730 (with verbal carrying most of the score, but quant still not too bad. Perfect AWA and IR)

Work Experience
6 years in IT Systems Analyst and Analytics roles (including a few years at a brand name Financial Services Company) with a few promotions.
Some leadership responsibilities from a project management standpoint.

Awards/ECs
Employee of the Quarter Award at the brand name firm (Awarded to 1 person in group of about 150).
20-30 hours a year after UG mentoring younger students
20 hour per week on campus job centered around Education with leadership responsibilities while in UG
Some leadership positions in UG Organizations (Treasurer, Committee Lead, etc)

Post MBA Goals
Consulting (Non Profit Sector)

Schools
Reach: Wharton, Yale
Target: Fuqua(EA), Johnson, Cambridge, CMU Tepper
Safety: Georgetown, Emory

I am wondering what I can do to mitigate the low GPA. I am considering taking the GMAT again for a 750+, but I have taken it a few times already (with good improvement across tests) and I should probably start focusing on the application essays. I have also heard of creating an alternative transcript with courses such as MBA Math, etc. Will also try and use the optional essay to explain. Any advice would be appreciated.

Would also like to know what my odds are for above schools given I apply in R1/R2. I know M7 is a bit of a stretch given the GPA but would be happy with a T15.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach Thanks for the detailed response! I think Tuck got rid of their EA round a few years ago. Do you still think it's a good fit based on my profile?
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
you can still apply on Sept 1 for guaranteed interview and if you are of Indian ethnicity they take a closer look than some other schools before putting you in this or that bucket.

Posted from my mobile device
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JB321,

First, I would like to say you have a very interesting profile in terms of relevant work experience and did a great job working in diverse roles during your work tenure. Moreover, you do have a good score on your GMAT; your overall GPA is ok and something that could be fixed easily in your case. All you need to do is back it up with some substantial examples of leadership, decision-making, and analytical skills in your work experiences and ECAs. Definitely, you can mention the reasons for your low GPA in your optional essays.

About your profile, you did well describing your roles & responsibilities, and all about promotions & professional accolades. However, elaborating more about your crucial projects assigned, examples of leadership, skill-set developed, and the impact generated during your diverse tenure. Moreover, since you want a career change into consulting, you need to give very strong reasons about why you think it is a good time for you to switch? What are your aims & aspirations regarding your career switch? Why did you choose this role? And finally, how would you link your past experiences and skill-set in diverse with your post-MBA goals? For your reference, I would like you to go through our article on career switch. It would help provide you with added insights.

Coming to ECAs, you have some relevant ECA. However, you need to mention your contribution, the challenges faced, leadership roles played, the impact generated, and the relevant skills developed through your ECAs to bank upon them! Also, add any certifications if you have them. All in all, you do have a robust profile. Just try to link your work experience, ECAs, and post-MBA goals by connecting dots between them in your school essays to mesmerize the adcom! You do have a chance at Fuqua (EA), we helped applicants to get into Tuck, CBS, Darden, and Fuqua in EA rounds. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further help you with your strategy for essays and interviews regarding MBA programs, feel free to book a free session with us at your convenience.

How to craft an Admit winning M7 profile

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Profile Analyst & Channel Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

JB321 wrote:
Demographics

GMAT: 730 (with verbal carrying most of the score, but quant still not too bad. Perfect AWA and IR)

Work Experience
6 years in IT Systems Analyst and Analytics roles (including a few years at a brand name Financial Services Company) with a few promotions.

Awards/ECs
Employee of the Quarter Award at the brand name firm (Awarded to 1 person in group of about 150).
20 hour per week on campus job centered around Education with leadership responsibilities while in UG

Post MBA Goals

Schools

I am wondering what I can do to mitigate the low GPA. I am considering taking the GMAT again for a 750+, but I have taken it a few times already (with good improvement across tests) and I should probably start focusing on the application essays. I have also heard of creating an alternative transcript with courses such as MBA Math, etc. Will also try and use the optional essay to explain. Any advice would be appreciated.

Would also like to know what my odds are for above schools given I apply in R1/R2. I know M7 is a bit of a stretch given the GPA but would be happy with a T15.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
JB321 wrote:
Demographics

Work Experience

Awards/ECs

Post MBA Goals

Schools

Hi JB321 hope you are doing well. Here's hoping to add a useful perspective

I see a couple of loose ends in your story

1. You come from a core IT background with 6 years of great project management experience. However, you wish to now suddenly transition into impact consulting post-MBA. I do not see a clear connection to the social impact domain here, not even in your ECs.

2. Your ECs seem dated mostly centered around college activities. I am unable to see a continued association with any cause you may be passionate about.

Your GMAT alone will not get you the best possible admit but you need to introspect deeply to discover your true motivation for MBA and non profit consulting domain, and then make a conscientious strategy to achieve goals so that you can also leverage skills from your career trajectory so far. Possibly consider some other goal in the short/mid term as that would seem more reasonable such as product strategy or management.

Here are some ideas on how to ace your goals strategy

Compelling Goals Strategy 101

Best wishes
GMAT Club Bot