Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [108]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [45]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [16]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A recent survey showed that while many banks have service charges on i [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
honchos wrote:
A recent survey showed that while many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts with balances that are falling below a set minimum, some banks provide virtually free checking regardless of the account balance.

(A) with balances that are falling below
(B) whose balances fall below
(C) whose balances fall below that of
(D) that have balances falling below that of
(E) that have balances that fall below those of

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning of this sentence is key to solving the question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts whose balances fall below a set minimum.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Pronouns + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple present continuous tense is only used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present continuous tense verb “are falling” to refer to information that is permanent in nature; please remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple present continuous tense is only used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase “that are falling below”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “whose balances fall below”, conveying the intended meaning – that many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts whose balances fall below the set minimum itself. Further, Option B correctly uses the simple present tense verb “fall” to refer to information that is permanent in nature. Additionally, Option B avoids the pronoun error seen in Options C and D, as it employs only one pronoun – “whose” – that has a logical referent in “accounts”. Besides, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun “that” lacks a logical referent.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participle (“verb+ing” – “falling” in this sentence) to refer to information that is permanent in nature; please remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense. Further, Option D choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun “that” lacks a logical referent. Additionally, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase “that have balances”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “fall below those of “; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts whose balances fall below the balances of a set minimum; the intended meaning is that many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts whose balances fall below the set minimum itself. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase “that have balances that fall”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [5]
Send PM
Re: A recent survey showed that while many banks have service charges on i [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The reason for posting this is to discuss the usage of whose. Whose modifies or represents inanimate objects or can also refer to people?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The reason for posting this is to discuss the usage of whose. Whose modifies or represents inanimate objects or can also refer to people?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Bookmarks
the way i look at it That of or Those of is incorrect as "set minimum" must be compared with "balances" A,C,D are out
also the bank accounts here are the object so whose should be correct .. though i read it somewhere that who/whose must refer to people …. "that" is i am not sure if it is incorrect …. will eliminate the choices based on the Comparisions rather than usage of that/who
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Bookmarks
What's the problem with letter A? Can someone help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Statistics, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hugoba wrote:
What's the problem with letter A? Can someone help?

A uses "that" for balances, which require "those"
B is a better choice with better expression and concision
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [15]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos