Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [47]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [21]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 240
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie [#permalink]
Kudos
I was trapped by the subtle trap laid out in E. A good question and learning point indeed ! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie [#permalink]
can someone further clarify why "as did" in choice E is incorrect. I would think that you're comparing X with Y (i.e. famous trumpet players played many instruments = x; and John played many instruments = y)
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
nycgirl212 wrote:
can someone further clarify why "as did" in choice E is incorrect. I would think that you're comparing X with Y (i.e. famous trumpet players played many instruments = x; and John played many instruments = y)

Option E is grammatically correct. However the meaning is slightly changed as already described in the post above:
like-many-famous-jazz-trumpet-players-john-birks-dizzy-gillespie-188730.html#p1444354

When there are two grammatically correct choices, stick to the original one (or the one that has the same meaning as the original).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
I don't understand this. Isn't the necessary comparison this: Like X did, Y did.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Korhand wrote:
I don't understand this. Isn't the necessary comparison this: Like X did, Y did.

Like compariosn compares Nouns/Pronouns...

Like x, y

Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie played many other musical instruments, including the piano.

Like doesn't compare actions, hence Like X did, Y did is not the perfect way...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
Korhand wrote:

Like x, y

Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie played many other musical instruments, including the piano.

:thanks :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
Korhand wrote:

Like x, y

Oh, thank you. Of course, 'like' can't be used that way. But I am not still convinced why the right answer is right.

So can I say "Like James, Henry played football"?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Korhand wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
Korhand wrote:

Like x, y

Oh, thank you. Of course, 'like' can't be used that way. But I am not still convinced why the right answer is right.

So can I say "Like James, Henry played football"?

Yes, the above sentence is correct.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
oh, of course. apparently working on GMAT SC confused me about basic sentences :)

The answer is much appreciated, thank you.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [2]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos

As the comparison is between "Dizzy Gillespie" and "many famous jazz trumpet players", that means it is comparing noun vs. noun. In this case, the usage of Like is correct

a) Like ===> CORRECT

b) As have ===> We do not need the verb "have" also "As" is used to compare actions

c) Just as with ===> Just means "Exactly" which is illogical here

d) Just like ===> Just means "Exactly" which is illogical here

e) As did ===> We do not need the verb "have" also "As" is used to compare actions

Hence, Answer is A

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
i have another explanation than the usual one givven one by experts and that is " as did x, y did the same". here the first and second clause are not maintaining parallelism, first clause is in passive voice but the second clause is in active voice. HENCE THY LMAO IT MIGHT BE WRONG TO USE AS DID AT THAT PARTICULAR PLACE

RD
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie [#permalink]
Dear VeritasPrepBrian IanStewart AnthonyRitz MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepRon VeritasPrepHailey VeritasPrepErika VeritasPrepBrandon quixx23 AaronPond DmitryFarber ccooley GMATGuruNY,

Why is choice E. wrong?

May I quote content, which is very similar to this question, from MGMAT? No judgment or bias here. I just would like to invite GMATClub verbal experts to discuss the content subjectively and fruitfully.

According to P.100 Chapter 6 Comparisons MGMAT SC book
Quote:
According to the GMAT, there is no difference in meaning between Like her brother, Ava aced the test and As her brother did, Ava aced the test.

We know that subject-verb can be inverted. Hence, I think choice E. is right!
Attachments

as.PNG
as.PNG [ 235.73 KiB | Viewed 7833 times ]

like.PNG
like.PNG [ 233.17 KiB | Viewed 7818 times ]

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
May I quote content, which is very similar to this question, from MGMAT? No judgment or bias here. I just would like to invite GMATClub verbal experts to discuss the content subjectively and fruitfully.

Quote:
According to the GMAT, there is no difference in meaning between Like her brother, Ava aced the test and As her brother did, Ava aced the test.

First, let me vent a bit about the wording above, which I see all the time on this forum and in prep company materials, and which is profoundly misleading. Any time someone says "According to the GMAT..." you should replace that phrase in your mind with "According to everyone...". There are no mathematical or grammatical rules that are true "according to the GMAT" that are not also true in mathematics or grammar generally. I've seen people write things like "according to the GMAT, zero is an even number." No, that's not true -- according to mathematics, zero is an even number. There are no special "rules" you need to learn that are true on the GMAT but that are false outside of the GMAT, so this phrase "according to the GMAT" always implies something nonsensical. In the quote above, the sentences "Like her brother, Ava aced the test" and "As her brother did, Ava aced the test" mean the same thing according to everyone who understands the meaning of those two sentences (though the 'did' should usually immediately follow 'as'). They don't mean the same thing only "according to the GMAT".

There's a difference though between that example and the sentence in the question above. The two sentences about Ava acing the test both describe a single past event. They mean the same thing. The sentence discussed in this thread is different. It discusses one past event (Gillespie played many instruments) and one continuing event (jazz musicians play many instruments). When that's the case, you can't use "as did" to describe the continuing event, since "as did" suggests that event is completed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 630 Q46 V31
Send PM
Re: Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks Dizzy Gillespie [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
varotkorn wrote:

Quote:

First, let me vent a bit about the wording above, which I see all the time on this forum and in prep company materials, and which is profoundly misleading. Any time someone says "According to the GMAT..." you should replace that phrase in your mind with "According to everyone...". There are no mathematical or grammatical rules that are true "according to the GMAT" that are not also true in mathematics or grammar generally. I've seen people write things like "according to the GMAT, zero is an even number." No, that's not true -- according to mathematics, zero is an even number. There are no special "rules" you need to learn that are true on the GMAT but that are false outside of the GMAT, so this phrase "according to the GMAT" always implies something nonsensical. In the quote above, the sentences "Like her brother, Ava aced the test" and "As her brother did, Ava aced the test" mean the same thing according to everyone who understands the meaning of those two sentences (though the 'did' should usually immediately follow 'as'). They don't mean the same thing only "according to the GMAT".

There's a difference though between that example and the sentence in the question above. The two sentences about Ava acing the test both describe a single past event. They mean the same thing. The sentence discussed in this thread is different. It discusses one past event (Gillespie played many instruments) and one continuing event (jazz musicians play many instruments). When that's the case, you can't use "as did" to describe the continuing event, since "as did" suggests that event is completed.

Hey Ian,

so in that case is "as have" the correct answer? Or is it wrong because the later part of the sentence contains "played" and not "plays" ?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks Dizzy Gillespie [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Blair15 wrote:
Hey Ian,

so in that case is "as have" the correct answer? Or is it wrong because the later part of the sentence contains "played" and not "plays" ?

That's a good question. I've read the responses in this thread, and the original prep company blog post explaining the answer to this question, and I can't make sense of the basis on which B is eliminated. The prep company claims B is grammatically incorrect, but it's grammatically fine. But A is a good answer too. Incidentally, the second half of the sentence needs to say "played", because Dizzy Gillespie is no longer alive to play any instruments, and I think the sentence is missing the word "other" before "famous jazz trumpet players", because Gillespie was himself a trumpet player, and the first half of the sentence suggests he wasn't -- it suggests he was similar to trumpet players in some respect.

It's a prep company question, not a real GMAT question, so I wouldn't worry about it much.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks Dizzy Gillespie [#permalink]
Hi, anybody can tell the difference between A and D? They are totally the same to me. Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts