GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

November 18, 2018

November 18, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:42) correct 37% (00:50) wrong based on 651 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie played many other musical instruments, including the piano.

a) Like

b) As have

c) Just as with

d) Just like

e) As did

If you like my post Kudos Please

Originally posted by aashu4uiit on 18 Nov 2014, 07:03.
Last edited by carcass on 18 Nov 2014, 12:50, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the title of the question and underlined the sentence
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 12:45
Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie played many other musical instruments, including the piano.

a) Like
CORRECT. Comparison: Like X, Y.......

b) As have
Wrong. "have" is wrong

c) Just as with
Wrong. Correct idiom: just as X, so Y..... In addition, "with" does not make sense.

d) Just like
Wrong. Why we need "just"?

e) As did
Wrong. TEMPTING but wrong. The intended meaning is like many famous jazz trumpet players IN GENERAL, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie played........ Option E, however, adds "did", so it changes the meaning. E seems to convey the idea that famous jazz trumpet players do not play many instruments any more. They just did so in the past. That's why E is wrong.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
MBA Blogger
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2014, 03:28
aashu4uiit wrote:

a) Like
b) As have
c) Just as with
d) Just like
e) As did

a) Like
Like X, Y...

b) As have
"have" is incorrect

c) Just as with
Wrong Idiom.

d) Just like
Incorrect: Just like means in the same way. There are many ways to play an instrument.

e) As did
Wrong. It conveys the meaning as he did it for a particular occasion not in general. Which changes the meaning.

KUDOS please!! If it helped. :)
Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Management Consulting (Insurance)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 02:39
I was trapped by the subtle trap laid out in E. A good question and learning point indeed ! :)

The Mind is everything . What you think you become. - Lord Buddha

Consider giving KUDOS if you appreciate my post !!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 12:21
can someone further clarify why "as did" in choice E is incorrect. I would think that you're comparing X with Y (i.e. famous trumpet players played many instruments = x; and John played many instruments = y)
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 11:17
nycgirl212 wrote:
can someone further clarify why "as did" in choice E is incorrect. I would think that you're comparing X with Y (i.e. famous trumpet players played many instruments = x; and John played many instruments = y)

Option E is grammatically correct. However the meaning is slightly changed as already described in the post above:
like-many-famous-jazz-trumpet-players-john-birks-dizzy-gillespie-188730.html#p1444354

When there are two grammatically correct choices, stick to the original one (or the one that has the same meaning as the original).
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 07:04
I don't understand this. Isn't the necessary comparison this: Like X did, Y did.
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 08:07
Korhand wrote:
I don't understand this. Isn't the necessary comparison this: Like X did, Y did.

Like compariosn compares Nouns/Pronouns...

Like x, y

Like doesn't compare actions, hence Like X did, Y did is not the perfect way...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 08:33
Abhishek009 wrote:
Korhand wrote:

Like x, y

:thanks :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 08:49
Abhishek009 wrote:
Korhand wrote:

Like x, y

Oh, thank you. Of course, 'like' can't be used that way. But I am not still convinced why the right answer is right.

So can I say "Like James, Henry played football"?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 08:05
Korhand wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
Korhand wrote:

Like x, y

Oh, thank you. Of course, 'like' can't be used that way. But I am not still convinced why the right answer is right.

So can I say "Like James, Henry played football"?

Yes, the above sentence is correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 13:46
oh, of course. apparently working on GMAT SC confused me about basic sentences :)

The answer is much appreciated, thank you.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 07:04

As the comparison is between "Dizzy Gillespie" and "many famous jazz trumpet players", that means it is comparing noun vs. noun. In this case, the usage of Like is correct

a) Like ===> CORRECT

b) As have ===> We do not need the verb "have" also "As" is used to compare actions

c) Just as with ===> Just means "Exactly" which is illogical here

d) Just like ===> Just means "Exactly" which is illogical here

e) As did ===> We do not need the verb "have" also "As" is used to compare actions

Hence, Answer is A

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 05:06
i have another explanation than the usual one givven one by experts and that is " as did x, y did the same". here the first and second clause are not maintaining parallelism, first clause is in passive voice but the second clause is in active voice. HENCE THY LMAO IT MIGHT BE WRONG TO USE AS DID AT THAT PARTICULAR PLACE

RD
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie &nbs [#permalink] 29 Aug 2018, 05:06

Like many famous jazz trumpet players, John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap